Throwdown #9: PORK LOIN

Update: Took the loin over to my folks house on sunday and my Mom (75 yrs young, and a mighty fine cook) said it was one of the best pieces of meat she had ever had. The raspberry glaze complimented the delicate pork flavor amazingly well, and the almonds took the whole thing to a new level. Plus it had a nice kick to it with all of the spices I rubbed it with. Wish the computer had taste o' vision so I could share :)

I had no idea that you could smoke a loin of any kind and it come out juicy, but yours looks amazing. Maybe it came down to your technique being awesome? Brine it? Beautiful food man.

OK, here's my entry. Did this for my Mom's birthday yesterday. Made an herbed bread-n-butter cranberry stuffing:

IMG_1180.jpg

Used it to stuff the pork loin. Lightly oiled and coated with an herb rub:

IMG_1182.jpg

On the Performer at 325-350 for 1.5 hours or so (until 140 internal temp):

IMG_1183.jpg

Off the grill:

IMG_1191.jpg

Sliced:

IMG_1188.jpg

And plated:

IMG_1189.jpg

Do I get any bonus points for the carrot cake I also made for her?

IMG_1178.jpg

Everyone enjoyed it. Mom was happy. Thanks for looking. Good luck everyone.

Ok I'll take a crack and present an entry.

Fat Wellington.

Ingredients. Mini Pork Loin, Cheddar Brats, Sausage, Ground Pork, Bacon, Mushrooms, Onion, Spinach and Puff Pastry.

100_1192.jpg

The Loin

100_1193.jpg

I used a knife steel then a turkey baster to make a hole in the loin. I then inserted a cheddar brat in the hole. I had to freeze the brat to get it in there. I made a 50-50 mix of fresh ground sausage and Jimmy Deans breakfast sausage and made it into a mat. Then covered that with chopped spinach, diced onions and mushrooms.

100_1199.jpg

Then I rolled the stuffed loin up fatty style in it's sausage-spinach-onion-mushroom blanket.

100_1202.jpg

Then rolled it in a woven mat of bacon.

100_1206.jpg

Off to SJG/WSM mini for a nice long smoke with apple wood chunks.

100_1208.jpg

After a cooling period. Cover with puff pastry and off to the S-670 to bake.

100_1221.jpg

The result Fat Wellington

100_1238.jpg

Inside.

100_1239.jpg

Plated...yummy, let's eat! It was very tasty, juicy and delicious.

100_1243.jpg

Thanks for looking

-rog

I'm speachless. The guy at the maket sold my wife a loin when I sent her for a butt. I sent her butt back to return the loin, as I couldn't see the forest for the trees!
Wow, great looking cooks!

Great entries so far. That Fat Wellington has got to be one of the most creative thigns I have seen. I bet I could eat the whole thing...but then I would be the fat one!:eek:

Hey everyone,

Just for fun, I have a copy of the new book Cook's Illustrated: The Science of Good Cooking that I'd like to give to the winner of this throwdown.

If the winner resides in the US or Canada, I'll mail the book to you. If you live elsewhere, I'll send you a US$25 electronic gift card to Amazon.com.

Looking forward to more great entries!

Good luck,
Chris

scienceofgoodcooking.jpg

THE REVOLUTIONARY BOOK THAT BRINGS SCIENCE TO THE STOVE

Great cooks seem to operate on intuition. Watch one at work and you might think he or she must have a sixth sense that switches on in the kitchen. But great cooks aren't psychic. They simply understand the fundamental principles of cooking the unspoken rules that guide their every move in the kitchen. What s behind these principles? Science.

At America s Test Kitchen, we know something about that. The team at Cooks Illustrated has spent the past 20 years investigating every facet and every detail associated with home cooking through tens of thousands of kitchen tests. In The Science of Good Cooking, we distill the past two decades of this test kitchen work into 50 basic cooking concepts, ones that every home cook should know.

These concepts sound suspiciously simple: Gentle Heat Retains Moisture. Salty Marinades Work Best. Starch Helps Cheese Melt Nicely. Sugar Changes Sweetness and Texture. It turns out that these ideas are not only easy to understand but also easy to master. And don't worry, there is no molecular gastronomy, liquid nitrogen, or fancy equipment involved. As always, our mission is squarely focused on great home cooking.

In addition to explaining how food science works (and why you should care), The Science of Good Cooking shows you the science. This book brings you into the test kitchen with 50 unique (and fun) experiments engineered to illustrate (and illuminate) the science at work. The experiments demonstrate why adding fat to your eggs will make the perfect tender omelet, why grinding your own meat will make the ultimate burger, and why you should have patience before carving your roast.

And because no concept is complete without recipes, The Science of Good Cooking includes more than 400 classic Cook's Illustrated recipes that take the science to the stove, putting the principles to work. The book offers a fresh perspective on everything from roasting a chicken to baking chocolate chip cookies. These are the fundamental recipes home cooks struggle to get right. And when these recipes are coupled with the simple science explaining how and why they work, the results are illuminating.

Awesome Chris!

We are seeing some very impressive entries so far. Keep 'em coming!

Cuban Rotisserie Pork Loin with Peppers and Onions
Here are the players
IMG_0913.jpg

Mixing and blending the players:
IMG_0914.jpg

Butterflied pork loin:
IMG_0915.jpg

Pork Loin swimming in the bath over night:
IMG_0916.jpg

Out of the bath and on the grill:
IMG_0919.jpg

Resting off the grill:
IMG_0923.jpg

sliced
IMG_0924.jpg

Plated:
IMG_0927.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

Last edited:
OMG....Kim that looks amazing....kick butt cooking and your pictures are super!!! Makes me want to purchase a roti!!

Love it Kim!!

Back