Chickenburger.

Start with this :
IMG_20121006_124520.jpg

Then take a grinder...
IMG_20121006_114220.jpg

I think you left out a few steps... :)

Nice entry,
Chris

Lol, I did indeed. I'm afraid when I would perform those missing steps with our chickens this entry would start with picture #8 as starting point and continue with that particular person going through the grinder instead of two chickenbreasts ;)

Wow, excellent entries! I think the competition will be tight for this one. I suppose the voting begins after midnight tonight?

Wow, slaughtering your own chicken. That is a testament to how much you care about eating good meat and not some of the rubbish that you get in most stores.

BTW, we have until midnight tonight to submit? I have a lamb burger planned for a second entry, hopefully my iPhone will be able to take a better picture than what I got from the steak tartare.

BisonBuffalo Burger

This ground buffalo is from a neighbor farmer...note the packaging on the meat:
IMG_0818.jpg

Here are the players for today's cook:
IMG_0825.jpg

I put the steak fries and onions on the performer:
IMG_0827.jpg

Took the onions off the grill once they became translient and mix the spices and meat
together with 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 onion, finely chopped, 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
IMG_0828.jpg

Formed the burger pattie and on to the performer:
IMG_0829.jpg

Burger:
IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Burger plated:
IMG_0836.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for looking!
kim, please tell me YOU ate that big ol buffalo burger....
it looks terrific!
i have friends that raised Beefalo and had some of that lean meat.... it was excellent!

with the fries, pickles, pepper salad and berries, not to mention the 'cado... that is quite an outstanding plate:)

kim, please tell me YOU ate that big ol buffalo burger....
it looks terrific!
i have friends that raised Beefalo and had some of that lean meat.... it was excellent!

with the fries, pickles, pepper salad and berries, not to mention the 'cado... that is quite an outstanding plate:)

Thanks Jim...I did while I watching the packers lose...and yes I did eat that burger but this morning Lucy and I took hike in the kettles. I think it was lunch and dinner.

SPAM Kabobs

This is one recipe my 2 boys just can't resist. My wife' however, gives mixed reviews

It starts with some chopped up ingredients.
I had more SPAM, but stepped away to get the camera and my youngest (He's 6) swooped in for a preemptive taste test. His defense, "I was hungry".
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Then I hit it with any old Rub (Dark Brown Sugar, a bit of Kosher Salt, Season Salt, and some Penzeys Chicago Steak rub works for me) and toss it all in a zip-loc bag.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

After mixing well and letting it rest, dump it in a bowl, and grab the skewers.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Now don't those look nice!
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Alright, it's time to get the grill on. Let's go high heat because it won't take long to cook and caramelize. We brushed on a little left over rub and added some Pecan Chips for a bit of smoke.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Don't forget to turn.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Once your Kabobs are about done, brush some EV Olive Oil on a few slices of bread and drop them on the grill with a few halves on Romaine Hearts. You are just looking to toast them and form some great grill marks.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Drop it all on a plate, add a little Caesar Dressing (Home Made is best) to the Hearts and poof, you have some quick, easy, and absolutely terrific SPAM Kabobs.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Say what you want, but these were delicious!!!

Alright, here is my last entry right before this thing goes to vote!

My favorite meat for a burger, 11 ounces of fresh ground lamb shoulder grilled over Royal Oak to medium rare on one of my homemade brioche buns toasted in butter, with Gabriel Coulet blue cheese, crimini mushrooms sautéed in butter and deglazed with red wine, baby arugula, and the whole thing drizzled with Roland black truffle oil. Smeared on some Kewpie mayo and it's finished. Really there is nothing better than truffle oil on any kind of mushroom really, and if you haven't tried it do get some. I was graced with it from my mom a long time ago and the little bottle is lasting forever. And if you love blue cheese, Gabriel Coulet is amazing, probably only beat out by Mirablue. But when I told my dad about this whole challenge thing on this website he popped in with it from Whole Foods the other day and said knock it out! LOL. He's a hoot.

The burger was served with potato wedges and roasted asparagus which didn't make it into the pictures. :) My go to burger when I want to impress someone, be it a good buddy or a pretty gal. Enjoy!

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

These buns hold up amazingly well to all the juice that comes out of a medium rare burger, and my definition of medium rare when I grill meat that I freshly grind is about 128 before its rest in tin foil. :)

Last edited:
Yum, that Truffle Oil sounds terrific. I have some Truffle Olive Oil from a place near me called 'The Oilerie" and it is definitely great stuff. I love using it when I 'saute' on the grill with my CI.

If I ain't wrong that is the place that actually makes theirs with real truffles and not the chemical additives that taste like truffles. Listed as "truffle aroma" on the ingredients instead of jus truffles on the bottles of the fake stuff. That is all I've ever had was the additive kind, but it tastes awesome and I can only imagine how good that stuff is. Great on eggs and potatoes. And a great mushroom pizza is over the top with a drizzle. Absolutely obscene.

Back