Throwdown #8: Ground Stuff

This will be my first entry this month, and it probably something that isn't made a lot by ground beef fans! Ha, and I apologize for the picture. All I have is my iPhone with a very lousy camera app.

Steak Tartare though was something I've been wanting to try for quite a while, so I used the recipe at chow.com linked here - Steak Tartare I bought a 3/4lb filet mignon and ground it using the coarsest die on my KitchenAid grinder attachment right away to ensure it was clean and bacteria free. I also hand chopped a little bit of the meat to add a bit of texture and chew. I also opted to toast the bread without any butter or additions to it that way I experienced what classic steak tartare should taste like and not overpower it with fats or flavorings.

If you have any aversion to eating raw beef and egg yolks I wouldn't recommend trying this kind of preparation, but if you want to experience beef flavor at it's highest then give it a go. The texture is really tender and the egg yolks help to hold everything together. It is just as good served with a good crackers as it is this bread I got from Whole Foods bakery.

CameraAwesomePhoto-1_zpsa355b718.jpg

RC, very interesting choice and I'm glad you did something that's outside the norm, makes it a much more interesting throw down. I'll be honest, I've never tried Steak Tartare. And any aversion I have to it (and I confess I have one) is probably just me being childish, but I would try that. So was this the first time you've had Steak Tartare, or the first time you've made it?

RC, very interesting choice and I'm glad you did something that's outside the norm, makes it a much more interesting throw down. I'll be honest, I've never tried Steak Tartare. And any aversion I have to it (and I confess I have one) is probably just me being childish, but I would try that. So was this the first time you've had Steak Tartare, or the first time you've made it?

Oh aversion is something that I had too Chad, and the only way I ever thought about making it is if I found beef that was absolutely almost straight off the cow, and that's what I found at Whole Foods the night I went shopping. It was an amazing cut, you can see pics of the steak I made in the photo gallery under Filet and Duck Fat Fries. The cut was so large a filet (.8 lbs!) that I was actually able to make the tartare with the outer part and use the center section for a steak the same night.

But I am a very active member over at pizzamaking.com forums and we get into a rousing talk usually about new foods we haven't tried and tartare was one that came up late one night. The guys directed me on the proper way to serve and prepare it, so I got pumped enough to source out good meat and give it a try. The recipe that I was pointed to was a really good one, the only thing I would do different is use one raw egg yolk instead of two in the quasi-dressing you mix in with it, and use the second egg yolk and just crack it on top. It would've made presentation a lot more stunning as well.

If you ever get a really good cut of filet though and even if you don't plan on making anything raw out of it, take a really sharp knife and slice off a little piece before you cook it. Hit it with some olive oil, salt and pepper and eat it with a good cracker. That'll give you the flavor profile less the eggs and onions. Not really something you'd want everyday for sure, but when you're feeling adventurous and wanting to eat outside the box it is definitely a rich tasting treat (in a flavor way, not monetarily!)

If someone does bear I must insist that they ship me some of the meat! That is something I really want to try before I up and croak one day!

Unless its a truly wild near that hasn't been gorging itself at the nearest garbage dump you might want to pass. It's a bit greasy to start with, if the bear has been eating garbage it goes downhill from there...

LOL I have heard that is can be a little greasy and off putting in flavor. There are purveyors that sell bear meat online but I don't know about sourcing it from places like that.

Come on, guys! We've only got TWO entries so far. There are only TWO days left! Who's gonna step up and post something amazing like those pizzas last month?

Regards,
Chris

I know there are at least two more of us planning some last minute entries. We have till the end of the 7th to post, right?

Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf

1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Filling:
5 oz spinach
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Topping:
3 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Italian seasoning

Cooked on the mini WSM @ 350* for one hour then topped with ketchup and cooked 15 more minutes (to internal of 150*). Then topped with cheese and Italian season.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

Plated with Yukon potatoes sliced, seasoned, and baked and some crusty bread with garilc butter.

IMG_1038.jpg

Cooked tonight and will post this weekend. Some excellent entries so far. Let's keep it going.

Chicken, chorizo and cheese stuffed poblanos

Pretty simple recipe, some chorizo, ground chicken, cheese and sun dried tomato for stuffing. Let's get started.

Mis en place. Everyone knows you have to have a beverage while cooking.

08a70e96f2d93fd275440267886fa77a.jpg

Chorizo getting a head start.

b249819c58dfe3fd0daca9e62b2ab9ae.jpg

Once that was going, I added the chicken. It was seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

3556c859e7dd55b88c728b51ae7460b9.jpg

After that was all browned, I brought it inside to cool a bit. Then I added chopped sun dried tomato and a bunch of shredded "Mexican Blend" cheese. Here they are in the skillet and ready for action.

737b4062df7305ce63e476fb61907167.jpg

On the grill and getting toasty

e1ba6054deb4a9ea35b24f5b0c7d469f.jpg

And finally plated up with some rice.

cd292946a508d64a147f00c1531d1141.jpg

Chickenburger.

At this last day of the throwdown, i finnaly got the time to make my contribution.

Start with this :
IMG_20121006_124520.jpg

Then take a grinder...
IMG_20121006_114220.jpg

Add some salt and pepper
IMG_20121006_114709.jpg

Some bacon
IMG_20121006_125256.jpg

Make burgers
IMG_20121006_130042.jpg

And this is the result:
IMG_20121006_131122.jpg