Throwdown #17: Pork Tenderloin

Coke Brined and Pecan Smoked Tenderloin

I brined the tenderloin in a solution of salt, sugar, coke, apple juice and water for 8 hours. Then smoked it around 250 for an hour flipping the loin at the 45 min mark and then cranking up the heat to 275 for another 30 mins until reaching an internal temp of 145. I glazed it with coke bbq sauce about 20 mins before taking it off the pit. I also grilled some asparagus in a foil pack with butter, s&p as well.

ready to be brined

8 hours latter

rubbed lightly with pork rub

when I flipped the meat 45 mins into cook

off the smoker

veggies off

final product!!

plated pic

Heres mine, very similiar to Steve A's, dammit Steve you beat me to it!:cool:
Bacon wrapped, mushroom and cheddar stuffed tenderloin.
All ready to roll, using up some so so rub.
jkxi.jpg

On the performer with some hickory.
vqv1.jpg

Almost done.
5vph.jpg

A pic of the middle.
87tx.JPG

Cut up to eat.
4ihl.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Schnitzel Wiener Art mit Kartoffelsalat

...a meal served in every Gasthaus in Deutchland

Trimmed a pork tenderloin, quartered it, pounded the filets flat, dredged in flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs (2) and cracker crumbs (2):

Fried over a R.O fire in a cast iron chicken fryer (in the rain):

Served simply with SWMBO's warm Kartofellsalat, lemon wedges, salt and pepper:

Smoked pork tenderloin stuffed with fruit and topped with a cherry reduction AKA Fruit Pork Sushi

Here is mine, there was a lot of learning for this but it turned out pretty good. Started with some natural pork tenderloins then I butterflied them both

then pounded them out between layers of saran wrap

then added three strips of proscuitto to the bottom of the flattened tenderloin

covered it with a 1:1:1 ratio of diced granny smith apples, diced pineapple and dried cherries reconstituted in a little orange/lemon juice. I also included a pinch of cinnamon to the fruit

tied up the rolled roast with kitchen twine

then coated with a traditional rub ( sugar, salt, chile powder, paprika, onion salt, cayenne and a touch of good cocoa). this is what it looked like after about an hour in the rub

then I threw it on the smoker with kbb and apple chips ( no water in pan but some in drip pan). Despite the winds the WSM was running around 300 pretty steady. Pulled when the internal temp was 145 then wrapped in foil and threw into a cooler with boiling water. let rest 30 min, the internal temp was 140 at the end.

Made some gratin potatoes with cream,garlic, thyme, roma tomatoes, and swiss cheese as well as a cherry juice reduction ( for the pork not the gratin)

and plated it out with some steamed green beans

All in all it turned out great. We had guests over who also liked it and asked what I called it and I offered up a variety of different names till we settled on fruit pork sushi ( the rolls really do look like sushi on the skinny end of the tenderloin). The smoke taste was there, the rub was spicy but not too spicy and the cherry reduction gave just enough oomph to the tenderloin. Id never tied a rolled loin before ( the butcher string says this pretty clearly) but much to my surprise none of the filling fell out.

Here's one last non plated picture to reinforce the fruit pork sushi idea and you can see the nice smoke ring. Id normally grill the tenderloins but the smoking approach turned out great.

hope you like it half as much as we did eating it.

Last edited:
Pork tenderloin fattie.
Inspired me guys - Gene , Mike and Bob.
Thank you, my friends :)

I used two wedge of tenerloin to the left side

tmpC.jpg

Marinade ingredients - ground black pepper , Worcestershire , chilli oil , Dijon mustard , white wine , salt and sugar. About 4 hours marinating in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator

tmp55DB.jpg

Cooking procedure :

insert sliced ​​salami Chorizo ​​- picante between wedges of meat , tie , brush with Evoo , sprinkle with ground black pepper and place in the Weber. Temp 200 - 225F with three pieces of cherry

tmp222A.jpg

after reaching internal temperature of 125F , remove the meat ...

tmp7EDB.jpg

untie and wrap into the prepared flattened minced meat flavored with ground: black pepper , cumin , red pepper , coriander seeds, dried oregano and garlic. Add sun-dried tomatoes in oil , sliced ​​mozzarella and a few basil leaves

tmpE415.jpg

brush with Evoo and place on the indirect side at temp of 350F

tmp14C7.jpg

be patient and wait until the internal temperature

tmp7761.jpg

view of goodness

tmpF7BA.jpg

served with mashed potatoes and on the butter stewed vegetables

tmp9380.jpg

tmp6D69.jpg

Mildo,
Man does that look good, I'm super envious of your tying skills ( amongst other things). Really really impressive. On the first grill photo is that a skewer on the absolute left?

Last edited:
Date Night, Pineapple stuffed, Prosciutto Wrapped, Pork Tenderloin "Wellington"

Once again SWMBO and I are heading out this evening (to see Hello Dolly staring Sally Struthers) and she asked me to cook. Given that this is Pork Tenderloin Throwdown month I incorporated it into Date Night for her dinning pleasure.

I lit a large and small chimney of Royal Oak, distributed it into the charcoal baskets, and placed a couple sweet potatoes down on the charcoal grate between the baskets.

I trimmed and split a tenderloin down the middle and place it head to tail to even it out. I placed the tenderloin on a sheet of puff pastry topped with Prosciutto and grain mustard, then added the Bourbon soaked dried Pineapples, and seasoned with thyme, salt, and pepper.

I wrapped the tenderloin assembly in the puff pastry and sealed it with an egg wash. I placed this on a pizza stone set upon two foil wrapped bricks in the Kettle with the vents closed ~50% (400*F).

About 25 minutes later the tenderloin was 145*F and was a beautiful golden brown and delicious.

While resting I added some Pineapples glazed with an Apricot Bourbon Glaze.

Sliced and served with Apricot Glazed Grilled Pineapple Slices and Cinnamon Brown Sugar Pineapple Buttered Sweet Potato.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, Dwain, you just did my cook.....guess I'm in for something different or not at all...............................d

Well, Dwain, you just did my cook.....guess I'm in for something different or not at all...............................d

I was also thinking of trying a pork tenderloin wellington, looks like that is off the table now. Very impressed.

Back