Throwback bacon, Salt Fat Acid Fire

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Went back to my roots from the '70's for this 2 lb. slab of bacon. Nothing touched the pork belly except Morton's Tender quick (8 days cure) and hickory smoke, 6 hours worth.

1599746628908.png

This morning's breakfast (sorry egg McBob fans}.
After making it I got to thinking about the Netflix documentary I've started watching, Salt Fat Acid Fire.
Salt was in the cure, and a little in the eggs and hash browns.
Fat was the bacon and its grease I cooked the potatoes in, and the butter the eggs were cooked in.
Acid was my ice cold glass of milk.
Fire was the stove's burner.

1599746968745.png

Thanks for the visit!
Hope and pray everyone in our western states get some relief soon from the heat and wildfires.

Last edited:
Looks Tasty!

Oh man let the acid battle begin, lol. Been many moons since I had to debate it in chemistry class. Its interesting because its ph is below neutral yet it is considered an acid...

In all the chaos I let my Costco membership expire. I miss the pork belly and lamb chops most of all. I can get packers at Wally World (not Prime). I’ve been talking to the Sergeant Major about going back down there. This post just might do it.

I had to buy store bought bacon a few days ago (for the first time in a few months) for breakfast for dinner, the family was not happy that I did not have homemade. I have to get a slab to start curing this weekend. I know it is a stupid, but I have never cut mine thick cut, a true just didn't thought about it. I will be making some extra thick sliced with the next batch. Great looking breakfast! Homemade biscuits are another one of my favorite.

Like that back to the roots bacon.
Still sticking with the Tender Quick, me too. Article in the current issue of Cooks Illustrated on making bacon. they said not to use TQ, they don't say why. I've done a lot of bacon in the past few years with TQ and given it to friends and relatives with no problems.
Don't want to become a chemist to make bacon, so TQ it is.

Back