Three More Grills...Yes, I said THREE more!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I can already hear some of you guys laughing at me or maybe even sympathizing with my trying to be patient wife:eek:...But after Bruce's "inventory" picture, I guess I don't feel totally bad:rolleyes:

So, yes, in spite of an overflowing shed and yard and the fact that I have so far only had a small amount of time to restore any of the many grills I already have because of honeydos and other responsibilities, I DID in fact pick up a couple, OK, THREE more grills:

34q9vn9.jpg

wvvfva.jpg

In fairness, the Redhead was a grill on which I had made a deal with the "seller" over a month ago. He put it on CL for free. It was located on the west coast of Florida, too far for me to get during tax season. I talked him into waiting and holding it for me:eek:! My wife and I took a vacation day and made a day trip over to Naples, enjoyed a little time walking the beautiful Gulf Coast beach, eating out, shopping - and picking up this old redhead. My embarrassed wife stayed in the van and looking out the window said, "We came this far for THAT!" I will post more about these grills separately, but at least I can say that this one was really already "bought" before I posted my photo confession of my grill hoarding;)!

The Brunette (black-top) grill was one that I had followed for months on OfferUp. It was not very far from me, and when he dropped to just $20, INCLUDING A FULL TANK OF PROPANE, it was too hard to resist. I got it today. This grill is actually a better value than the "free" redhead. I will show more later.

Finally, there is the Platinum. I had also followed this one for a couple months on OfferUp. It languished there I think mostly because the seller spelled Weber with 2 'B's:confused: I had also been following a Skyline 2-burner with same spelling impairment, but it finally sold before I could make a move. I decided to go ahead and jump on this Platinum earlier this week. $100. With an all stainless frame - Yes, IT IS ALL STAINLESS, this has so much potential. More on it later, but I plan to use the great flavorizer bars and stainless grates from the nice Silver C I picked up earlier to upgrade this Platinum and make it my permanent grill and then sell off the Silver C.

OK, I know I am beyond over the top, but where does that put Bruce?!!!!

I will post separate reviews of each of these grills. Meanwhile, after finishing my little 18 inch kettle I have started work on the Q200 I posted about earlier. I am hopeful for a pretty cool turnaround on that one. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Question on the Platinum one: Is the frame stainless steel (304) and the bottom pan too? I know they are rare. Just asking in case I come across one in the area. $100 seems a steal. I love to have one of these.
I am working on the three I got this week. Gold C for free, Silver B for free and another Gold without side burner for $40. But the frame is good. And tonight I got another offer for a Silver B with both side tables and black knobs for $25. Never seen black knobs before.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1842685522700273

Stefan, I haven’t tested the frame to see if it is magnetic. I can say that there is no corrosion evident on the frame anywhere that I see. Can’t say the same for any of the non-stainless parts. The cabinet doors are stainless, but the bottom, back and sides are all painted steel. They are all rusty, with the bottom by far in the worst shape.

I would like to see if I can get stainless steel fabricated replacement parts from my friend who owns a sheet metal shop, but more likely I will need to consider patching or maybe converting it to an open cart design. Another member, Leandro, did a great job on his using that approach.

Follow up: the Black knobs seem to have been used the last year they made the Silver A and B. I think they are cool and plan to use them on my custom Skyline grill that I am anxious to get moving on. That in spite of all these pickups:rolleyes:!

Jon, some great candidates there. But, like me, time to turn off the computer and break out the simple green. LOL
Good luck, keep us updated. I am starting on my next grill tomorrow. Probably a Silver B, or maybe I will do up a Genny 1000. Lots to choose from. It should be a bit cooler tomorrow. 84 and sunny here today....for us, that is really warm for early May and I am still nursing the sunburn on my bald head from a week ago.

Wow, I am drooling over that Platinum.

As for "inventory pics" - I don't feel so bad about having picked up FOUR grills in 7 calendar days anymore.

I am selling them as quickly as I can, though. I sold 2 yesterday, another is currently up for sale, and one other is a set of new grates away from being ready.

JKim: Are you just doing a quick clean up and fixup on them and flipping them, or are you going all out taking the cookbox down to bare aluminum and then repainting the frame, cook box and end caps when necessary?

It depends, Bruce. Some are cosmetically presentable as-is and don't need the full makeover. The first one I sold this season was a quick cleanup, it came with Weber cast iron grates and Weber stainless flavorizer bars, so I just threw on an igniter and listed it on a Saturday night, the buyer contacted me within the hour and it was delivered to the buyer the next day.

The second one I sold (yesterday) had the firebox down to the bare aluminum, but it had been done last year. The endcaps and frame were left alone.

Last edited:
Jon, I thought I had it bad but you've got Weberites far worse than me. You do know the only cure for it is a wife with a skillet in her hand and the death stare. You don't want to go there.:p
I also find it amazing that you can find so many, up here in the high country there hasn't been a 1000 or silver B in months except for the one silver B I got for free a while ago. The Phoenix area there hasn't been any for a month or more and Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the country.
Although the last one I saw for sale was just south of $200 it looked well taken care of.

Last edited:
Jon, I thought I had it bad but you've got Weberites far worse than me. You do know the only cure for it is a wife with a skillet in her hand and the death stare. You don't want to go there.:p
I also find it amazing that you can find so many, up here in the high country there hasn't been a 1000 or silver B in months except for the one silver B I got for free a while ago. The Phoenix area there hasn't been any for a month or more and Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the country.
Although the last one I saw for sale was just south of $200 it looked well taken care of.

Rich, You are definitely right and I have to cut off the inflow and ramp up the outflow. The black grill might be a good candidate for a lighter refreshing and quick sale just to get things moving. It is really hard to resist free and $20 - with propane - classic grills that keep popping up. I don’t know why that is, but there are still some others in a 100 mile range of me that would also be great starts for rehabbing. I just hope it doesn’t mean there aren’t buyers around me for nicely restored grills. I will find out fairly soon.

I will say that the few semi-restored classic Weber’s I have seen all had what I felt were flaws and poorly written ads. I hope I can do them well enough and advertise the compelling features in a way to appeal to a buyer willing to spend a little more for something special.

Last edited:
Jon, I'm looking out 300+ miles and still not finding anything I would drive that far for. As far as it being hard to resist free or super low price I said I would not do another restore. Here I sit waiting for some parts to come in so I can finish and list my Silver B I got for free, yeah it's hard to resist an investment of $50 in parts and a profit of $100+ with a little work.
You're right most people that list these grills leave out all the great features. I know I'll list all of the features I can think of.

Stefan, I haven’t tested the frame to see if it is magnetic. I can say that there is no corrosion evident on the frame anywhere that I see. Can’t say the same for any of the non-stainless parts. The cabinet doors are stainless, but the bottom, back and sides are all painted steel. They are all rusty, with the bottom by far in the worst shape.

I would like to see if I can get stainless steel fabricated replacement parts from my friend who owns a sheet metal shop, but more likely I will need to consider patching or maybe converting it to an open cart design. Another member, Leandro, did a great job on his using that approach.

That is too bad. So Weber went all the way to offer a stainless frame but cut it short with painted steel floor. I replaced the rotten floor of my find with a home made wooden floor out cedar boards and enough gaps to allow some ventilation.

Back