Thoughts on the P Vent

I don't think that the difference is something to be upset about.
Having both and using my performer with old style vents I wouldn't change it for new ones if it was offered for free.
I don't think you would notice it being better at all.
Oh I agree, it's just that when you buy something new from an authorized Weber dealer you would think you'd get a current model.

I don't understand where ya'll are coming up with "WSM vents." I like the idea of the P shaped vents. It should give you more control for low n slow. I use a combo of both vents to control my kettle. On most cooks I'm doing on the kettle I'm not super obsessive over the temp. If I was trying to cook ribs at 225 or something, I find it holds pretty damn close with the slow n sear. If it's running at 232 I'm not going to fiddle with the vents. Trust me there was a time I would have. My old OTS does everything I ask of it, so I'm not looking to upgrade until it dies. Then I'd probably go with p vents, but it's not a feature that's make or break by any means.

You may consider checking out the date code on the top vent to determine what year your unit was built.
That works on my OTG but both my old performer and this new one don't have any type of date code on the top vent.
I have a sticker on the side of the table with a part# and model# and a 2 [017]
So it looks like I got a 4 year old one..

Oh I agree, it's just that when you buy something new from an authorized Weber dealer you would think you'd get a current model.
I agree, I bought mine from Amazon for convenience but all I would read is hey there is a new vent system and well I guess there was a bunch of old stock out there. I am glad I got what I did, like I said wouldn't change it for the P vents at all.

With the P-vent initially appearing on the Summit Charcoal and Kamado, then on the Master Touch Premium, it was necessary to have a 'set and forget' bottom vent due to the fact that you cannot see the vent to adjust it when a heat diffuser is being used. Also, it is much less susceptible to ashing over during long cooks. These are the two main reasons I want this feature on my next Performer.

Weber put marks on the ash clean out that gives you an idea of where you are in air control. Most Weber users have some marks they added to let them know how much the vent is open.

:blackkettle::summite6kamado:

Weber put marks on the ash clean out that gives you an idea of where you are in air control. Most Weber users have some marks they added to let them know how much the vent is open.

:blackkettle::summite6kamado:
Yes, I have marked mine also at full open, 1/2 open and approx 1/3 open.

All my stuff is old, I’m old, my house is old, wife wants newer vehicles or it would be old.
The “Overperformer” is based on an old “One touch platinum” chassis. I saw “P vent” and my initial thought was “zipper fly”. Hey, I said I’m old.
I marked the bottom “intake vents” with permanent marker a couple of years ago, I should clean and re mark the reference points.
Why must everything become more intricate and involved when the process of using a kettle was made so wisely in the first place?
“New and improved” rarely is.
You can stay on my lawn as long as you are willing to help maintain the grilling area!

Why must everything become more intricate and involved when the process of using a kettle was made so wisely in the first place?
“New and improved” rarely is.
The one touch system addressed a problem people had with the old 3 daisy-wheel system (cleaning it out) but came at the expense of less control over airflow. They haven't made new 3 vent kettles in over two decades now. The p-vent tries to address the airflow problem for smoking and I think is a great addition to the kettle.

I didn't mean to say new is always better and we should make something simple needlessly complex, but there just isn't a ton of information about the new venting system out there and what functions it can provide and I wanted to help those who are looking for more info.

Side note, another added benefit of the p vent is it allows slightly larger chunks of coal that have fallen through the grate to make their way into the ash pan.

Don’t get me wrong, I am certainly an advocate of the “one touch system” over the (mildly) more fidgety daisy wheels.
But, in terms of real improvements, the “P vent” is the button fly over zipper argument. They both work.

Regular vents on my kettle and Performer. Both can be dialed in with crazy precision, if you use them for a while and get to know them. (And mark the lower vent settings on the outside. ;))

Charlie

Back