This Tell-Tru Install OK For WSM 18" ?

MichaelLC

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up a Tel-Tru BQ225 and a install kit from Amazon for my WSM. May get another TT for the kettle.

To install, I just used the OEM Weber bezel, sat the Tel-Tru on top, and used the wingnut from the install kit to tighten. Fits tight without sliding around.

Any reason this would not be OK? Wil lI get worse reading than the Weber therm? Thanks.
PXL_20211113_150949454.jpg

I picked up a Tel-Tru BQ225 and a install kit from Amazon for my WSM. May get another TT for the kettle.

To install, I just used the OEM Weber bezel, sat the Tel-Tru on top, and used the wingnut from the install kit to tighten. Fits tight without sliding around.

Any reason this would not be OK? Wil lI get worse reading than the Weber therm? Thanks.
View attachment 40595
I think it looks good.

Does the thermometer spin? meaning can you rotate it soa different temp is at the 12 oclock position?

If it does, you might try rotating the thermometer so the target temp is at 12 o clock.

A quick glance of the temp pointer from a distance you'll be able to see if it is low or high.

I looked at the thermometer install mods on the virtual weber bullet site and there's a picture exactly yous.

I wish there were that clean of an install you could do on the 22.5 WSM. You pretty much have to lose the bezel on the 22.5 and I like the bezel.

I used to think I wouldn't want to lose the bezel, but I am liking this even better.

Attachments

• Tel-Tru.jpg
    Tel-Tru.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 21
I like that. Looks more 'serious/pro' in your pic - not sure why.

Weber bezel (say that 5 times fast) works for me too, testing out this one on the WSM to see if I want to replace the OEM kettle.

Many years ago at this forum someone provided me with a pair of washers that were "scalloped" or curved: their curvature matched that of the cover's dome providing a solid foundation and seal. (EDIT) I'll try and find the part number and name.

Last edited:
What I don't like is if you see the side view the tel tru sticks up pretty far from the dome. But it does look pretty good and they are a much more reliable thermometer. My stock WSM dome thermometers tend to lock up after a few years but they are pretty cheap to I just replace it. On my WSM I usually use a digital probe anyway, but the thermometer being stuck bothers me. I use the tel-tru exclusively on my Franklin offset and don't use digital probes.

My 18" WSM didn't include a thermometer therefore no bezel. Yet here is the information on the curved washers as of 2007 that I used:

Manufacturer Gardner Spring 1.800.331.3265
MB 1750-057-S
Belleville Disc Spring
UPC 7 15153 97130 4

I believe it to be this one, MB1750057.

(EDIT) @Chris Allingham Perhaps you could include that information in the chapter on modifying the 18" WSM with a TelTru thermometer.

Last edited:
Didn't know there was such a thing as curved washers. Having said that, I've used plenty of flat washers and they work just fine so I don't see the need for a specialty washer. But if you like the results, that's all that matters.

Most recently I used the Tel-Tru thermometer installation kit on a 14.5" WSM which includes a washer and nut, and it worked great. But so do other cheaper options.

Didn't know there was such a thing as curved washers. Having said that, I've used plenty of flat washers and they work just fine so I don't see the need for a specialty washer. But if you like the results, that's all that matters.

Most recently I used the Tel-Tru thermometer installation kit on a 14.5" WSM which includes a washer and nut, and it worked great. But so do other cheaper options.
And a beautiful 14.5 it was. ;(

Back