This should be a Weber

Not a very good pic, but this was a packer brisket I made today.

wNpfR3ql.jpg

Tasted as good as any I have ever made, including my poor, neglected WSM.
It was only on the smoker for about 7 hours though. Why? IT RAN OUT OF FUEL.
I filled the chamber this morning when I started the cook. About 4 hours in, a great
deal on a Genesis popped out, and I was in the wind, only expecting to be gone
for an hour or so. Halfway home, a great deal on a WSM popped up.
I turned around and headed back to the city. I called my wife at that point and asked
her to go check on the brisket. IT read 165, right in the stall as it should be, but the
grill temp was only 85. I immediately had her bring it inside, wrap in pink butcher
paper, and straight to the oven. Dinner was saved and still on time.
However, I now know, a full chamber will only get you about 5 or 6 hours of cook
time at 250. Lesson learned today.

wow burnt through on several sides , reckon I will pass on 1 of those, 1/4" plate at the bottom and it may have taken years to get to that point, you know somebody in that company would have had to know that was going to happen quick, super high temps quickly warps a lot of metals and sheet metal that thin don't stand a chance

FWIW, the firebox in mine is half inch plate, fuel column and ash drawer are quarter inch plate, and the firebox grate is half in re-rerod. I've already burned through the 1/8" expanded sheet grate between firebox & cook chamber (probably going to weld up a replacement of quarter inch stainless.)

Honestly, if the construction is that cheap..... I'm not unhappy in the least to not buy one. And MB has a bigger one that's supposed be shipping in late May.

My 1st smoker was a masterbuilt propane/charcoal smoker. It rusted through just like that around the burner rather quickly. Very cheap material. I did a lot of research before I bought the WSM.
Same situation with my 1st gas grill. I did not want to spend several hundred dollars every few years so I did some research and pulled the trigger on a 2015 Genesis E310 for my 40th birthday. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the 10 year warranty.

Check out the Old Country gravity fed smoker, they aren’t in mass production from what I can tell due to this Covid crap, but check out Trendkills videos on YouTube, it is $1200 but looks like a hell of a cooker 2” insulation, built like a tank with some awesome designs, he’s barely using charcoal on his cooks.
When these become available everywhere I may have some creative sales pitches to the wife.

Yeesh. If that's the case, it really needs to be documented in the owner's guide, and the dealers made aware of it. Still skimpy design, though.

Lynn, you have to play the video through Youtube (right click the video above, copy the video URL and paste it into a new browser window. Click "Show More" in the information area.)

Masterbuilt said:
Metal Plates
The metal plates in the lower portion of the hopper hold the firebrick in place and protect it during shipping. These burn out and drop into the ash pan. They are not necessary for the grill to function and we’re not offering a replacement part, since they are meant to be temporary.

It is a little. Not too bad. I strongly considered the stainless steel sleeve that
many have opted to lay out $125 for, however, now many reports of it warping.
I'm going to just hang back see how this plays out for now. This only gets used
a couple of times per month. Lots of time left before that stellar 1-year warranty
expires. LOL

I shouldn't be surprised that stainless sheet insert would warp. :(

With the firebrick retaining sheet burning off, that pretty guarantees that this smoker really shouldn't be moved from where it's initially set up. I've hauled mine over 2,000 miles with no issues. With the MB, I'd expect some firebrick to move.

The Masterbuilt just works out of the box, looks like it creates good food, and while quality is suspect if it lasts a few years, it may be worth it as an entry level, disposable product for some. Personally, I'm in the "buy once, cry once" camp now and the Old Country would be a better long term investment IMO.

The Masterbuilt just works out of the box, looks like it creates good food, and while quality is suspect if it lasts a few years, it may be worth it as an entry level, disposable product for some. Personally, I'm in the "buy once, cry once" camp now and the Old Country would be a better long term investment IMO.
Oh yeah not even close. The old country is reasonable compared to the flimsy MB.

Has Tom Horsman said whether this was given to him by Masterbuilt or if he bought it ?

I watched a couple of his vids , like how he does things, subscribed.

Back