This should be a Weber

Has Tom Horsman said whether this was given to him by Masterbuilt or if he bought it ?

I watched a couple of his vids , like how he does things, subscribed.
I thought that he bought it. His son is running one too and between the two of them they are cranking out some good looking food.

I don't get one mod that Tom Horsman made, he added more grate to the charcoal burn grate in the bottom of the charcoal chute. I thought GF's were designed to allow embers to fall through and then burn wood that is in the ash pan ?

Skip to about 9:30 minutes when he opens the coal lid. Is that normal for these, and is there a chance it could be a bigger poof?

Based on this detail from the manual I'm inclined to say he was at fault for opening the lid immediately after shutdown. There wasn't even any reason to open it.

1590253932186.png

I don't get one mod that Tom Horsman made, he added more grate to the charcoal burn grate in the bottom of the charcoal chute. I thought GF's were designed to allow embers to fall through and then burn wood that is in the ash pan ?
I think that too much was dropping down due to how open the grate is. I heard that is especially an issue when using lump but not so much with briquettes.

I think that too much was dropping down due to how open the grate is. I heard that is especially an issue when using lump but not so much with briquettes.

Yeah. Briquettes are a lot easier to design for as they're a pretty uniform size, natural lump has a very wide range of sizes. The grate that I built for my smoker has 1/2" spacing, and that appears to be a little too close for natural lump. It bridges over with ash, and I have to give the grate a good shake very 6-10 hours of burn time. I do want built weld up a new grate with 3/4" spacing.

I've been thinking about what's been posted from MasterBuilt regarding opening the feed chute with a burning fire, and I'm pretty sure that I don't agree with it. My chute holds right around 20 lbs. of charcoal, and when I open up the top lid, the coals in the firebox look like a good grill fire to cook on, very little flame showing, but a big red glow. Granted, I usually open it, fill it and close it, leaving it open for less than 60 seconds. I've never had any indication of a runaway starting. I guess that I can see the liability issues that pretty much require them to print that. If you leave the lid open, yeah, you're gonna have a bad day.

Got to see a Masterbuilt gravity grill (at Walmart!) - the smaller model. I love the idea. The execution is a little lacking as has been noted. Dave's paint upgrade is definitely an image boost, since "as is" it looks a little drab. For the price - and if you are committed to above average care - I can see how it would be a good addition to the arsenal. I would like to see the larger model that looks like maybe they put a little better materials into its construction. A Weber model would definitely be a GREAT idea!

Last edited:
Got to see a Masterbuilt gravity grill (at Walmart!) - the smaller model. I love the idea.

I actually have the 560. I've ran it a handful of times so far and I enjoy using it but assembly was frustrating, as more than one mating pieces did not fit properly without manipulation. I have quite a number of smokers and grills, several of which are larger sizes, so I purposely sought after the smaller 560 because--according to specs--it has a considerably longer burn time. I don't often do overnight cooks but this unit would run solo for a longer period of time, supposedly. I don't consider it a solid build but I store my units in our walkout unfinished basement, so that might help a little with longevity.

Last edited:
I don't consider it a solid build but I store my units in our walkout unfinished basement, so that might help a little with longevity.

Considering what I'm reading about how the Masterbuilt 560 is built, I do have to wonder how it's going to take to being moved [semi-]frequently.

Considering what I'm reading about how the Masterbuilt 560 is built, I do have to wonder how it's going to take to being moved [semi-]frequently.

Well, I'm only as sharp as a marble but I don't feel any concern about rolling it on its wheels :cool:

Well, I'm only as sharp as a marble but I don't feel any concern about rolling it on its wheels :cool:

Not the wheels, but the firebox insulation after the shipping straps have burned away. Will it stay in place? FTM, if you move, and roll this thing up into a moving trailer, will it still be usable when unloaded?

I guess the potential advantages are the flexibility to sear steaks but also do low and slow for hours. More cooking space, too, at least it would seem. I have never used a WSM😟.

Whoever is a good welder and knows how to work metal, I can already see the door removed from the WSM, and a charcoal chamber chute welded on at the door opening, or at least screwed into place with a ATC in the same format.

"Instead of this Masterbuilt gravity feed smoker ............ why not just an WSM with an ATC ?"

Seems like the concept of this Masterbuilt is that it is a better all-around device than a pellet grill. Same horizontal cart type form factor and auto convenience features of pellet grill, but runs on charcoal. So you'd theoretically get better smoke and better high heat grilling. You could see it as a better option than a pellet grill for a one arrow quiver. Same needle that Weber is trying to thread with the SmokeFire.

For low/slow, I'd agree that a WSM/ATC is as good or better. But while you can use a WSM as a grill in a pinch, it really isn't great at doing that. I don't think many people would pick a WSM as their single arrow.

I owned the 560 from the first week of release last year up to early May. It honestly makes great food but just couldn't get past the build quality and I just like trying new grills. Now I have a old country brazos. Love the food it puts out but having had the masterbuilt and WSM with a ATC being able to control and monitor my temps inside the house has spoiled me lol. Running a stick burner in the Houston heat isn't fun at all. Now I'm back to wanting the masterbuilt 1050 or trying the weber smokefire ex6. Both have their issues with the masterbuilt not having the best quality materials and smokefire having mechanical and software issues. What to do what to do.

Masterbuilt gravity feed is charcoal/chunk. That's something many smokers can do.

There's a guy over on the BBQ Brethren, whose running pure wood chunks through his MB 1050. But what he's getting in smoke, is pure smoldering wood. The food has to taste like creosote.

He's not the first to run the 560 like that. My guess is since the fan is constantly blowing so it keeps the wood ignited instead of smoldering. Either way everyone I've seen try it said it worked great.

He's not the first to run the 560 like that. My guess is since the fan is constantly blowing so it keeps the wood ignited instead of smoldering. Either way everyone I've seen try it said it worked great.

Impossible.

For wood to ignite, it takes a lot of air flow, a LOT of air flow ......... far more air flow than a gravity feed can provide.

And anyone whose used a stick burner can tell you that.

The hype for this MB gravity feed is through the roof, it won't do anything a WSM with an ATC won't do .

Impossible.

For wood to ignite, it takes a lot of air flow, a LOT of air flow ......... far more air flow than a gravity feed can provide.

And anyone whose used a stick burner can tell you that.

The hype for this MB gravity feed is through the roof, it won't do anything a WSM with an ATC won't do .
Have you ever cooked on a masterbuilt 560 or 1050?

Back