This should be a Weber

Dave,
I think a bunch of us are very grateful for you to take the plunge and really check this thing out. Like you, I wouldn't expect top drawer, but if the feed and electronics work OK -and it is stored in a garage or other dry place - it still could have definite merit.

When you can check, I would be interested in the grate size to find out how readily available better quality replacements might be. The inside of this thing should get grease coated pretty quickly, so it is then about keeping it clean and dry outside between cooks and tending to any beginnings of rust.

Look forward to seeing how it comes together and especially how it cooks :coolkettle: !

Jon, I would be very grateful if you could find a decent affordable replacement.
This has been on my list to do, but I have not found the time to do so. I never
even got to start assembly yesterday. Everyone and their brothers decided to
buy and sell yesterday. I bought 4, and sold 4. One Performer that I sold, I
had just bought 3 hours before. One of the few flips I have ever made without
cleaning. LOL
The grates are 22 x 14 3/8 total. Each panel is 11 x 14 3/8

I think one of these could be made to work if you don't mind doing a little trimming. Get your cut-off out and cut a rod off on one grate and trim a 1/4" or so off the ends of both. I have done it to convert generation 3 Summit grates into classic Genesis ones.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07MG35YH7/tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07MH7DJBR/tvwb-20

I am sure for the right price, Dave/rcplanebuyer could make you awesome grates, but the 7mm stainless ones above would do for most people.

One of those will work just fine. Thanks for the links. I have this thing assembled finally.
I had hoped to do a burn off, but ran out of time. I have learned that this thing only needs
power for the computer and the fan. A popular hack seems to be taking a battery back-up
and using it, so you are not obligated to having a cord on the ground to trip over. I will
be adding this soon. I have also been working on one other hack that I am not quite ready
to reveal just yet ..... stay tuned .....

It's a gravity fed charcoal burner, computer & draft control should be all that's powered. HeaterMeter users have been known to repurpose small batteries like those in emergency lighting that's good for at least a couple of days. Hrrrm..... I need to order a barrel connector for mine, I've got an AGM automotive battery sitting here I could use.

I've just sat through the assembly video. If you do want to run it off a battery, don't chop up the existing wall wart. The power specs should be on the back of the transformer (I'd bet on 12v and 2A,) buy a barrel connector (2.5mm or 3.5mm?) some Zip cord and a couple of alligator clips.

Assembly is now complete.

2JrSQE9l.jpg

The cheapo thermometer that came with it was not going
to make the build. I had a spare Genesis thermometer so I
figured it would work just fine. While I was at it, the boring
black lid was not working for me, so ..... most of you know
my affinity for the red head Gennies .... I thought this would
pay homage.
Not enough time for a burn in tonight, and the wife has me
chasing patio furniture AGAIN tomorrow. Maybe Wednesday.

I did the burn-off last night. WOW!!! I was completely blown away
by that charcoal smell. I have rolled smoke on 3 22 WSM's before at the
same time, and nothing close to this. I will be doing the seasoning
Saturday morning, then ribs for the first run on Sunday.
I was also lucky enough to find a holy grail on mine last week.
A Hasty-Bake. It is likely 60 years old, or more. It will be getting
its first use by me, with some ribs as well. Looking forward to
comparing the two.

I did the burn-off last night. WOW!!! I was completely blown away
by that charcoal smell. I have rolled smoke on 3 22 WSM's before at the
same time, and nothing close to this. I will be doing the seasoning
Saturday morning, then ribs for the first run on Sunday.
I was also lucky enough to find a holy grail on mine last week.
A Hasty-Bake. It is likely 60 years old, or more. It will be getting
its first use by me, with some ribs as well. Looking forward to
comparing the two.

Dave,
We will look forward to pictures, etc. on BOTH of these! Congrats on the Hasty Bake! I am not sure what tops my list, but I still harbor the hopes of getting and restoring a first generation Summit (4 or 6 burner) back to full operational status :coolkettle: . A red one would be really cool!

First cook is complete. As I mentioned above, ribs would be the first test.
I had planned prior to picking up the Hasty-Bake to running the Master Built
against my pellet smoker. But the last weeks I have been reading reviews and
people just raving about the intense charcoal flavor.

QbsczNpl.jpg

As you see in the pic, the
Hasty is quite old. I'm told it was late 50's or early 60's. It is quite the mess
inside and out. It has some serious seasoning inside. I decided it would be better
fit to test against than the pellet grill, as I already know, that even with running
Char-Hickory, it likely be no contest. And I was right. Nothing on my pellet grill
ever had this good old fashioned charcoal bbq flavor that these two grill produced.

To make the contest fair, I did one rack of spares, and one back rib on each grill.
All racks seasoned the same with Jack Stack rub. Both smokers were fueled with
Kingsford Professional. No wood was added. This is not how I will typically fuel
either of these. I will be using lump along with a few chunks of something. For
ribs I would normally use apple or peach.

Vem893ol.jpg

Two racks in, with plenty of room to spare. The newer larger model of the
Masterbuilt has hit stores this week. This smaller unit is more than capable
for me.

3 hours in, right before I pulled to wrap.

nZdWHREl.jpg

After wrapping, back on the smokers for 2 hours.
Pulled and placed in a warm over for about 90 minutes until dinner time.
All 4 of the racks looked basically the same so I only took pics of one
rack from each smoker.

The Masterbuilt -

PwspgTXl.jpg

The Hasty-Bake -

YuewWohl.jpg

I could not tell a difference in either product. Both were excellent, and both had
equal smoke flavor. One cook in, and I am sold. This grill is legit. I will be posting
my pellet grill for sale soon. This does everything it is supposed to do, but better.

I am still skeptical about the materials and overall build quality. But I am confident that by
rarely running it at hi temps, and storing inside, that should be an issue for me to worry about.
I will disagree slightly with this threads title. This grill should not be a Weber, but Weber REALLY
needs to take the idea and make an even better one.

Wow, Dave, I think you have me sold! Whenever I am able to move in this virus-ridden situation I will take stock of the possibility of being able to have one of these stored inside. I plan to try and unload some of what I have before moving so maybe will be able to fund this. Plan to sell my Big Green Egg because I am afraid of breaking it in transit. Looking at a PK 360 as a replacement. Maybe this would be better?!!!

Bruno, good luck finding one in your neck of the woods. I am only about 300 miles
from where they are made, and only see a handful locally here each year.
Mine will be out of commission for a while now. I plan to give a it serious cleaning,
and mild restoration to try and make it a little more presentable.

There was one for sale here a few weeks ago on FB and I passed on by it as I had no clue what it was. Dirt cheap too. Like $20 or so

I fired up the Masterbuilt again tonight and made burgers. Sorry, no pics.
While I have in my opinion, expressed all of my concerns with the less than
top of the line materials used to build this, it quite simply cooks outstanding.
I am convinced that I will no longer have a use for my pellet smoker. I will
be cleaning it up and selling it ASAP. I would expect many manufacturers
to jump on this band wagon. Light a charcoal grill, cook and be eating your
food in less time than you could light a chimney full of coals for a kettle,
but still have the great taste? SOLD!
Weber REALLY needs to jump on this style of grill soon, and not delay like they
did entering the pellet market. Weber quality porcelain coated steel, some
stainless, and a performer style igniter, and you would have one heck of a grill.

I fired up the Masterbuilt again tonight and made burgers. Sorry, no pics.
While I have in my opinion, expressed all of my concerns with the less than
top of the line materials used to build this, it quite simply cooks outstanding.
I am convinced that I will no longer have a use for my pellet smoker. I will
be cleaning it up and selling it ASAP. I would expect many manufacturers
to jump on this band wagon. Light a charcoal grill, cook and be eating your
food in less time than you could light a chimney full of coals for a kettle,
but still have the great taste? SOLD!
Weber REALLY needs to jump on this style of grill soon, and not delay like they
did entering the pellet market. Weber quality porcelain coated steel, some
stainless, and a performer style igniter, and you would have one heck of a grill.
I’D BUY ONE.

Sounds like a better alternative to a pellet smoker-less moving parts to break, simple fueling etc. Dave, how would it compare to the Performer in usage? Also wonder if there is any way to know if Weber is onto this? Agree they should be.

Back