Thinking About Espresso

I'm several years out of practice with manual espresso machines since I now use an automated unit. You already know that your tamp can impact your shot time, so I'll only comment on the puck screen filters you bought: if you conclude they are not your cup of tea I used to just keep a moist Handi Wipe at my station, run a tad bit of water through the head after completing my shot, and wipe the screen with the Handi Wipe.

Thanks for continuing to share your journey!
Actually I did not notice anything to dislike about the screen(s). So other than needing to clean them, I have no issues. At least so far

Hey so some more questions.. Is there any advantage to using a bottomless (or naked I guess it's called) portafilter as opposed to simply using a non pressurized basket in regular portafilter?
Since I get to keep that Casabrews I would like to experiment with it as well. It only came with 2 baskets (single shot and double shot pressurized). And they're a little "weird" in how they lock into the portafilter. They have a "dimple" that slips into a groove on the side of the portafilter, then you turn it slightly and it is "locked" in. Illustrated in photos to follow.
First the Casabrews portafilter and basket

20240224_101225.jpg20240224_101233.jpg20240224_101257.jpg20240224_101410.jpg20240224_101546.jpg

Another thing highlighted on this Casabrews, is the "ears" apparently most machines which use a 51mm basket have 3mm thick ears, but DeLonghi on some of their machines with 51mm basket use 4mm thick ears. (BTW the Casabrews uses a 3 ear portafilter. I guess some use 2 ear). Also note the taper of the ears so it locks in place.

Now contrast this with the 58mm KitchenAid portafilter. (I understand one is not compatible to the other by size alone let atone the shape of the ears. But, note the KA ears are NOT tapered. So I looked carefully at the brew head. The taper on the KA is up in the matching tangs on the brew head. So is this how 58mm ones are made? Or is the KA some type of "oddball" design? IOW if I should want to ever use a different portafilter on it, will this preclude my being able to?

20240224_101615.jpg20240224_101626.jpg

I honestly don't know enough to know what I don't know at this point LOL. Though I do know it's recommended to use the pressurized basket(s) if using pre-ground coffee or quite old whole beans. And with fresher beans to go non-pressurized. At least the KA gives you that choice whereas the little Casabrews only has the pressurized ones

The more I read the more I want to go back to my old Melitta pour over!! I’m just a simpleton.
I guess, but to a point I am having a bit of fun learning a bit and experiencing. Not trying to get like a James Hoffman or one of the other YouTube coffee pundits. I don't have the time, patience or the money for that. Just doing a fun, good tasting cup from inexpensive equipment.

Hey so some more questions.. Is there any advantage to using a bottomless (or naked I guess it's called) portafilter as opposed to simply using a non pressurized basket in regular portafilter?
A naked portafilter is frequently used to check how the flow is proceeding through the puck, to detect channeling where most of the flow only contacts a small amount of grounds. It is a little messier than a standard PF, and can spray outside of the cup. I have one and use it for that only occasionally, but daily with a blind basket for backflushing....

I guess, but to a point I am having a bit of fun learning a bit and experiencing. Not trying to get like a James Hoffman or one of the other YouTube coffee pundits. I don't have the time, patience or the money for that. Just doing a fun, good tasting cup from inexpensive equipment.
A used Livia 90 can be had pretty cheap if you are lucky, and I'm sure, Larry, you would have no problems figuring out what is going on in there..

Some people rescue dogs and cats, I help rescue Livias

A used Livia 90 can be had pretty cheap if you are lucky, and I'm sure, Larry, you would have no problems figuring out what is going on in there..

Some people rescue dogs and cats, I help rescue Livias
Was checking EBay. Holy smokes just some of the parts cost more than both the machines I have together. I would have to be VERY seriously into drinking the brown liquid to drop that much coin.

Was checking EBay. Holy smokes just some of the parts cost more than both the machines I have together. I would have to be VERY seriously into drinking the brown liquid to drop that much coin.
Ya never know.....My Livia 90 pretty much found me (neighbor), and for an obscene(ly) low price! :) I use it for 3 double shots a day, and at the ripe old age of 26, she keeps cranking them out!

BTW, I temp'd my shot this morning for you.....175° in the cup. :)

R

Ya never know.....My Livia 90 pretty much found me (neighbor), and for an obscene(ly) low price! :) I use it for 3 double shots a day, and at the ripe old age of 26, she keeps cranking them out!

BTW, I temp'd my shot this morning for you.....175° in the cup. :)

R
That is pretty warm. I wonder, do you know what temp it brews at? I checked both brewers and they were sending water out of the brew group quite steadily at 190ish +- a bit. So the explanation I posted a few points up, made sense to me

My SIL is way more versed in making espresso based drinks than I. Especially doing the "foaming" thing. So, as I reported Casabrews had gotten back to me, and said they were sorry for the issues I was having, here is your money back and please give us another chance (meaning perhaps to buy another one), and to keep the first one. Well, SIL and daughter (oldest) and the youngest along with her SO were over to celebrate wife's upcoming b/day on Monday. After youngest and her baby girls left on the early side (why do two tiny little girls sound like a crowded subway with the train coming in? LOL), SIL noted he'd like to have some espresso. So, we decided to put the little Casabrews to the test. So, with a more skilled hand at the controls we got some darn nice drinks out of it. I learned a bit, as well.
Now FWIW he's got a higher end Breville called the Infuser. Which from all I have read is quite the nice product.
But, we made some shots with the little Casabrews he noted were awfully darn good. Certainly almost as nice as he can get from the Infuser. Only thing he pointed out was when he was trying to steam the milk to froth, the steam wand was not quite as powerful as the Breville's but, he was able to do a VERY respectable foam.
So perhaps I was a little too hasty in giving up on the little guy. Now, almost kind of feel a little "guilty" having it for free.
Re, the temps in the cup, he noted a bit of that "cooling off" with the Breville as well, so he's of a mind to steam the milk AFTER brewing the shots and allowing the heat from that to bring the shot up properly. Though he tasted it right from the brewing head and noted it was plenty hot. So, perhaps much of the "issue" was my lack of skill and knowledge

This thread triggered me.
First cup after breaking it in.
There's a reason that the design hasn't changed in 90+ years.
It makes a fine cup.

Attachments

• 20240225_173341.jpg
    20240225_173341.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240225_173434.jpg
    20240225_173434.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
Just made and sat back with a nice little cup from that little Casabrews. I am really enjoying that little guy. Yeah the KA is a bit more "versatile" (what with a standard 58mm portafilter, simple pressed in baskets, both pressurized and non pressurized baskets, ability to install a frother attachment, and so on, I think I am enjoying the little Casabrews more than the KA!
Everything points to the opposite but that little guy performs VERY well and easy to use

Back