Thinking about consolidating down to ONE cooker...

Robb Walters

Hey guys... first of all, I am ONLY thinking about this... please don't flame me!

I currently have a 2011 Weber Genesis ep-330 (which I love), a 22.5 WSM and a 22.5 OTG.

Between work, kids and church we are on the go A LOT!!

Although, I love the WSM and Kettle, I just don't get to use them much :(

With that said though, I use the Genesis ALL the time. There are many times that I am using it and wish I had more space!

The thought has crept into my mind... what if I were to sell everything and buy the biggest gasser Weber sells, the SUMMIT. I can pretty much do everything on it (including a "mild" smoke session). I am just wondering if I would regret my decision should I act on my idea... any thoughts???

LOL I'm sure you'll regret it! :D

If I were to settle on one cooker, it would be a Performer. Gasser convenience, with charcoal taste and flexibility. ;)

How could anyone regret bigger but less. It all depends on your use, for instance, if you need more than the genesis fire up the OTG along side. I would hard a difficult time ever giving up charcoal to use gas full time............................d

LOL I'm sure you'll regret it! :D

If I were to settle on one cooker, it would be a Performer. Gasser convenience, with charcoal taste and flexibility. ;)

Well, I have a 22.5 OTG and hardly use it for 2 reasons... not enough time to fuss with charcoal, and not enough grill space.

The Performer might be ALMOST as easy as gas... but the lack of room would not work for me most of the time... we have a big family and have people over quite often.

This leads me back to the SUMMIT...

Last edited:
"Consolidated down to just one cooker"? Since when is a gasser a "cooker"?

You should well know that you can't get deep, smoky bbq flavors off a gasser like you can your wsm, or even the kettle, but your taste and preferences are just that....yours. Do what ya want, so for that matter, what does it matter what WE think? :confused:

Last edited:
I have about the same setup as you. A gas grill, a OTG, and a WSM. I use the gasser as a outdoor stove. The other two are my bbq and grill tools, giving a flavor that no other items can give. As an example- I have a rotisserie in both the gasser and the OTG. The OTG makes better chickens, It's like comparing a luxury car with a scooter.
I'd keep a charcoal grill. Use a chimney to light the coals, and the charcoal grill is ready to rumble just a short time after the gas grill.

Maybe try getting rid of one of them first. The OTG would probably be the easiest and cheapest to replace if you decided later you made a mistake. I have three grills and loaned one to a friend. Even though it was the one I used the least I really missed having it. Three does seem to be the magic number for me.

You will miss the kettle and WSM....especially after they are gone.......you got some big decisions to make...good luck

I have an older Genesis along with a WSM and a kettle, and my dad has a Summit, so I have experience with all of them. The amount of real estate on the Summit is fantastic, you can cook indirect and smoke (although not as seriously as a kettle or WSM), and the pop-up rotisserie is a great feature. The Summit is really an amazing grill with a lot of features and flexibility. My 3 are more specialized. Think of a Swiss Army knife -- sometimes those weird little scissors get the job done and sometimes you really need a pair of real scissors.

If I had to pick just 1 between my 3 and his Summit..... I don't know that I could. Obviously I would kick my Gen to the curb for a Summit, but I'd really miss charcoal and real smoking without the kettle and WSM.

If I had to pick 2: Summit and WSM. That's a no brainer.

I too have basically the same three units and would hate to part with any of them. It is not like you need to justify buying the three of them, just finding space to keep them. You may be busy now and use the gasser the most but that will change as the kids get older and go off to college or where ever. Then, since weber products last forever, you will have the time to enjoy the WSM and the kettle. At least that is how it played out for me.

Mike

Store them at a "Trusted" freinds house, if he has the extra room. Then see how you get along without them for a while.

Get rid of the gasser and get a performer to go with the OTG, that way you have the propane assist and the extra room.

Glad I posted...thinking I'll stick with my current (Genesis ep-330, WSM and OTG) setup! Yes, the taste off the kettle and WSM is definitely a step up from a gasser...and I LOVE cooking on them when I have time...and I know the busyness that is keeping me away from them will end! Thanks guys!!!

Thinking its time to go have a "smoke" :)

Been down the gas only road. Recommend you not do it. Charcoal and gas gives you flexibility. If you go gas only, bet in 2 or 3 years you will have a charcoal burner back in the stable........

Excellent choice! More is always better. LOL

Glad I posted...thinking I'll stick with my current (Genesis ep-330, WSM and OTG) setup! Yes, the taste off the kettle and WSM is definitely a step up from a gasser...and I LOVE cooking on them when I have time...and I know the busyness that is keeping me away from them will end! Thanks guys!!!

Thinking its time to go have a "smoke" :)

I have a Summit and a kettle. I often use both at the same time, and would really miss the kettle if I didn't have it. The taste is completely different over charcoal. I say keep the kettle, even if you get a Summit. You won't regret it.

Robb,

To each his own. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with whatever decision you make. As for me, I went in the other direction. I had a gasser, OTG, stainless Performer, and oil drum gas pig cooker (a North Carolina term, though shared by many states). Interestingly the gasser got the most use, but the performer was the most appreciated for flavor. So I sold the gasser, the OTG, and the pig cooker, bought a WSM and now happily live with the performer and 18" wsm. I find no difference in time of preparation but great value in flavor. I know the performer won't last forever, but I wish it would. I hope my charcoal days last many decades to come. Whatever your choice, make it and don't look back!

Back