Thinking About Buying a Vortex

I'm thinking I'll soon be adding both based on comments I read about this.

My family loves grilled wings and I normally get decent results cooking them on the kamados. I don't get quite the crispy skin that I want unless I risk overcooking the inside. It sounds as if the combination of a Weber Kettle & the Vortex can really help me step up my wing game.

Lew, for me the Vortex is the wings machine. It makes perfect food from chicken parts with basically no effort and no chance for mistakes. If you're into chicken, I don't think you'll ever regret it.

Beside this, I only use my Vortex for wok cooking, I do every other type of cooking in other ways (searing, slow cooking, direct+indirect setup, etc). Comparing to eg. the Slow n Sear kit, I rarely use my Vortex but I absolutely love it when I do.

Hope that helps with your decision.. (and if you have a home made wings seasoning recipe, I'd love to give it a try!)

Lew, for me the Vortex is the wings machine. It makes perfect food from chicken parts with basically no effort and no chance for mistakes. If you're into chicken, I don't think you'll ever regret it.

Beside this, I only use my Vortex for wok cooking, I do every other type of cooking in other ways (searing, slow cooking, direct+indirect setup, etc). Comparing to eg. the Slow n Sear kit, I rarely use my Vortex but I absolutely love it when I do.

Hope that helps with your decision.. (and if you have a home made wings seasoning recipe, I'd love to give it a try!)

Wok cooking ???

Wow.....now there is another stellar idea.

Somewhere around here I have a cast iron wok that's never been used. Could be set up over the Vortex and all sorts of out door stir fry options could occur. What a great idea. Thank you for that. Now I'm really sold on the Vortex.

I use a light carbon steel wok over the Vortex and in spite of there's no gap between the wok and the Vortex when it's placed on it, it works beautifully - you'll probably have lots of fun with this setup too.

If you're into your chicken parts, the Vortex is for YOU!
It's the only way I cook chicken. Idiot proof..(that's why I use it).

Great suggestions here. I've been throwing around the idea of getting one (just made the jump to Charcoal after decades of propane) and reading about the Vortex on this forum made me pull the trigger.

Does anyone have a preference on briquettes or lump when using it? I'd mostly be using it for making smoked wings and thighs.

I almost exclusively use Kingsford Original Briqs. I buy them on sale in quantity. The work just fine in every way. When running the Vortex, I routinely use leftover coals along with new. I put the new ones on the bottom and used ones on top (actually, what I really do, is fill a chimney with used ones on the bottom and new ones on the top). Then, I pour the coals (unlit) from the chimney into the Vortex which puts the new ones on the bottom and used ones on top. A full chimney is just about the perfect amount for my Medium Vortex. Then, as stated before, I light the gas ignition on my Performer for three minutes, turn the gas off, then wait a total of fifteen minutes, etc...

I did these last night when I had the neighbors over for supper:

Wings:

Thighs and drumsticks:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:

Back