Think I got a good deal on this spirit e-310

Jim Owen

TVWBB Fan
Just picked up a Weber Spirit e310. It set me back $25 dollars and about $7 in gas. I got it with 2 full propane bottles, so I figure I just paid for propane. The burner tubes look to be in excellent condition. I just ordered new flavorizers and an igniter kit which didn't work. The grates look to be in excellent condition. My wife says I research things too much. Our old cheapy was failing, and I wanted to get a new grill, but wanted one that would last. Unfortunately I think the lower box on this grill will always give issues, but I thought I would use this one while I wait to find what I really wanted. I want a redhead Genesis silver with wood side table. I figure I can easily get my money out of this grill once I find the one I really want. I know, I know deep dark hole.

thumbnail_0707201547.jpgthumbnail_0707201546.jpgthumbnail_0707201553.jpgthumbnail_0707201547c.jpgthumbnail_0707201546a.jpg

That's exactly the gasser I own, that I just grilled burgers on . You gotta good deal. I'm thinkin of selling mine but it ain't goin for $25.

So I fired it up today and it only got to about 200 degrees after at least 10 minutes with all the burners on high. I'm guessing that is not normal. Is the first thing to try using a regulator from another grill? The fire pattern on the burners looks good, just not enough flame on full.

Last edited:
Installed the regulator from my throw away charbroil grill (Luckily it was the same size 5/16) , and fired up my grill. It cruised right up to 530 and still climbing. Just waiting on new flavorizers and an igniter.

So the serial number on this starts with DR so it should be 2006, but I only find side controller e-310s from that year. Wondering if its that old if there is a way to make the cabinet last another 15 years.

Something seems wrong. I thought those early Spirit E3xx grills were E-W burner grills. Yours is clearly a N/S burner grill.
But, I am not that familiar with the Spirit line. Hopefully someone else can shed some light.

So the serial number on this starts with DR so it should be 2006, but I only find side controller e-310s from that year. Wondering if its that old if there is a way to make the cabinet last another 15 years.
Hi Jim, The grill is from 2013 to 2015ish. The cabinet was designed for ease of manufacture not duribility in my opinion

OK, I got it now. Spirit went to a slightly different code than other grills. The DR is 2014 and DC is 2013
2007-2011, 2017-Today: “DECRYPTWON” Code
In 2007, Weber introduced the Spirit E-210 and E-310 grills, and with them a new two-letter alphabetic code specific to these grills, using the word “DECRYPTWON” as the key along with a seven-digit serial number . In 2017 Weber also started using this code scheme on some Genesis II grills made in China.

DECRYPTWON

NT xxxxxxx: 2007
NW xxxxxxx: 2008
NO xxxxxxx: 2009
DN xxxxxxx: 2010
DD xxxxxxx: 2011
DE xxxxxxx: 2012
DC xxxxxxx: 2013
DR xxxxxxx: 2014
DY xxxxxxx: 2015
DP xxxxxxx: 2016
DT xxxxxxx: 2017
DW xxxxxxx: 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
OK that makes sense I was confused because I thought it would be newer. It works great and I love the cast iron grills. I just wish I could do something with the cabinet. It is junk compared to the rest of the unit. Why do people change out from cast iron to stainless cooking grates. Is it for longevity, or are they better for cooking. My cast iron grates are in excellent condition. Just installed my stainless flavorizers, they were way heavier than the originals, very happy with them, just waiting on the igniter now.thumbnail_0708201817.jpg

Well, I think the general consensus is that CI grates might be better for cooking, but SS solid rod grates are just sooo much easier to clean and maintain. A good set will outlast the grill easily.

That is kind of what I figured. As long as my CI grates are good I will keep them, Honestly they will probably outlast this grill.

That is kind of what I figured. As long as my CI grates are good I will keep them, Honestly they will probably outlast this grill.

Well you should! They will take a good bit more work to prevent rust. I would recommend storing in a box inside if you close up your grill for the winter. In between, do your best to keep well oiled. Bruce is right that cast iron is more fun to cook on, but stainless way more practical. GOOD, thick stainless rods will do a great job, too. I am just a sentimentalist for cast iron. I hope they work well for you. I enjoy them :coolkettle: !

IMG_0581.jpg

As far as the cabinet, that is why those Spirits aren't held in high regard. Maybe someday soon you can find a classic Genesis and lift those grates and put them in that! They will interchange.

No vegans in your crew, eh Jon? Makes my arteries clog just looking at that pic.

Back