Thieves

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
My six year old 18.5 was stolen today. Several modifications made and more than a thousand hours of highly succesful cooks. That WSM made people think I was a culinary genius. They also made off with my 32 quart stainless turkey frying pot. Literally a hundred turkeys and whole chickens fried in that thing.

Thieves have no idea what they are taking from you when they do their crapulent work. This is such a disappointment.

I know exactly what you mean. 2 weeks before Christmas, cowards broke into all 3 of my vehicles. They got well over a thousand dollars worth of merchandise and cash. They also got one of our cameras that had the pictures we took from thanksgiving with my sons great grandparents. We can replace everything else, but when the grandparents are gone, now so ade those pictures.
I HATE A COWARD...I mean thief.

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Nothing worse than having your day ruined by the heartless actions of others. Sadly it normally comes down to losing something that is worth so much to you, but so little to a thief.

Get a rope! I hope you are able to get your WSM back. Maybe someone here has an NIB from HD in your area at a super reasonable price. Pay close attention to your neighbors, especially the ones who don't work and are always hangin' out. More than likely they will have it. Keep watching craigslist in your area as well. And for heavens sake, look out for AJ the Nor Cal WSM rustler!
icon_eek.gif

I am a retired Insurance Claims Representative. I HATE thieves!! I have seen first hand the grief they cause people.

You can help prevent thievery but making sure that nothing of value can be seen in your parked car. It won't make an honest man out of a thief but will send him somewhere else.

I was always surprised at people who leave valuables in plain sight and often in an unlocked car. I have witnessed thieves destroying a car door just to get at a couple of dollars change. Often, if caught the authorities do little (revolving door justice for petty theft).

However, I took great pleasure in helping a Ranger at a National Park charge a couple of thieves with a Federal Crime (they broke into a car for an exposed camera). The local law enforcement people would give them a minor fine and send them on their way. It was epidemic. I had a talk with a Ranger and got them charged Federally (it is a Federal crime on Federal land). They did serious time. The message was sent and the car breaking nearly stopped for several years...

FWIW
Dale53

Wow, that is terrible.

It is tough, too, to think about how little they will be able to sell it for vs. how much it was worth to you.

I had a couple work computers stolen from my office a few months ago and it was terrible. For some reason, one of the things that burned me up the most was the idea that they would only be able to get a handful of hundreds of dollars for them, but their actions cost me and my business upwards of $10K considering loss of equipment, loss of work, repairs to building, downtime, etc.

Theft is despicable.

Watch craigslist for the surrounding area. I have known of several people who have had bicycles stolen and then recovered them when they were put up for sale on craigslist.

I can't believe that these people stole the items to cook with. They either have to sell them to be used or sell them for scrap metal value.

Good luck.

I think about my grills and smokers sitting on my deck from time to time but don't dwell on it. Yeah, I've cooked many good things on them over the years but I can replace them.
I live in a very small suburb of Chicago. We had a series of home break-ins in our community late last summer and fall. A 14 year old girl was murdered, about 6 blocks from my house, last October when she came home from school and found a burglar in her house. She cannot be replaced! This is the only murder in the history of our community. Fortunately the home invader / murderer was caught within a few days.

Tis the season I guess. I had the bottom and middle sections of my one month old WSM 18.5 stolen out of my gated back yard while I was on Christmas vacation. The replacement parts cost nearly as much as a new one. Luckily, I have insurance and after my deductible I got $269 back. Just ordered another one from Amazon.

I called Weber and they told me this is very common. They told me that they probably didn't take all of the smoker because it is large and heavy.

that sucks.......glad all they did was take property and no one was harmed

if it ever happens to me, I hope I'm there to greet them with some buckshot

First, great that no injury came from the loss. Second, if somebody really wants something, they'll get it. Third, as tough as it may sound, it was just a smoker. I keep mine in a locked garage with my kid's toys. I have affiliate stickers from a club I belong to on certain property that may dissuade some thieves but most are kids that just don't know better. Once had a bunch of kids smash my Hallowe'en pumpkin and one came back and apologized for the group. Maybe look at it as an opportunity to upgrade
icon_smile.gif

How sad. I have thought about ways to lcok my grill and bullets to my deck. I do keep the bullets in my locked 3-season poech.

that is terrrible. What a loss. I know its no where near the same, but I had a snow shovel stolen from my yard the other day. and it got me thinking of how I felt some things were just off limits to steal. things like grills, garden hoses, sprinklers, snow shovels and etc.... I guess things are getting pretty bad. it really womps because that guy won't get any money for a used smoker and turkey fryer and you have so much into it. I am so sorry its heartbreaking.
Leif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
I have affiliate stickers from a club I belong to on certain property that may dissuade some thieves but most are kids that just don't know better . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They know better. They just don't give a ^&#)!!@ about other people's rights and property.

Back