ThermoWorks new online ordering system issues...

Bob Bass

TVWBB Gold Member
For the past 11 years, I have been a loyal, satisfied ThermoWorks customer. Last night, needing to reorder some probe wipes, I tried to log on. Their system didn't recognize me as a customer. It had me sign back in for a new password via the email link, which I did. Once in, all of my past purchases ( close to $1,000 ) were not shown. The screen just read, You have no orders.

This morning I "chatted" with one of their online support persons regarding this. Apparently ThermoWorks has moved to a new On-Line ordering system. Past orders can be accessed by one of the human support persons, but not directly online by a customer !

I asked if they had any intentions of backfilling the current on-line ordering system with the historical data. The answer was negative.

In a past life, I've backfilled databases with information so as to maintain continuity with the data. Heck, have written many a transfer routine to accomplish said process. It's all doable, IF one really cares.

I might need to find an alternate source. What would you do ?

Robert Bass

Yeah, same happened with me. I asked them to email me a list of all the orders I had placed in their old system and I saved that off.

I ran into the same issue last time I ordered. Like you, I asked if they were going to bring that info up to date,
and he said nope (I had called them). The rep had kind of a snotty attitude, which surprised me, as I had always
received good service from them before.
I don't appreciate the poor attitude, but honestly it seems to be the norm, rather than the exception now. :(

I ran into the same issue last time I ordered. Like you, I asked if they were going to bring that info up to date,
and he said nope (I had called them). The rep had kind of a snotty attitude, which surprised me, as I had always
received good service from them before.
I don't appreciate the poor attitude, but honestly it seems to be the norm, rather than the exception now. :(
Snotty attitudes are pretty common these days. I went to my local ACE to pick up an online order of charcoal last month. This is a really old small store that has been a great place to shop. The lady at the register told me to tell one of the guys in the back to tell them I have an online order. I do that and the guy in the back laughs and tells me in a smart assed way that I need to tell him more than that. There was only one other online order at the time. I’m not thin skinned but was pretty pissed. BTW, that was the owner of the store. That will be my last purchase.

For the past 11 years, I have been a loyal, satisfied ThermoWorks customer. Last night, needing to reorder some probe wipes, I tried to log on. Their system didn't recognize me as a customer. It had me sign back in for a new password via the email link, which I did. Once in, all of my past purchases ( close to $1,000 ) were not shown. The screen just read, You have no orders.

This morning I "chatted" with one of their online support persons regarding this. Apparently ThermoWorks has moved to a new On-Line ordering system. Past orders can be accessed by one of the human support persons, but not directly online by a customer !

I asked if they had any intentions of backfilling the current on-line ordering system with the historical data. The answer was negative.

In a past life, I've backfilled databases with information so as to maintain continuity with the data. Heck, have written many a transfer routine to accomplish said process. It's all doable, IF one really cares.

I might need to find an alternate source. What would you do ?

Robert Bass
continue to buy stuff on sale because the have excellent products, customer service and stand behind what they sell. yeah, the technology that's supposed to make life easier doesn't always do that. i'd rather buy quality from them than some of the chinacrap that Amazon hawks that dies and you have no recourse. get people to work with you. life is just easier that way. and I personally use an email address, a gmail one, so i can always search my own order histories. this method hasn't failed me yet.

Last edited:
Snotty attitudes are pretty common these days. I went to my local ACE to pick up an online order of charcoal last month. This is a really old small store that has been a great place to shop. The lady at the register told me to tell one of the guys in the back to tell them I have an online order. I do that and the guy in the back laughs and tells me in a smart assed way that I need to tell him more than that. There was only one other online order at the time. I’m not thin skinned but was pretty pissed. BTW, that was the owner of the store. That will be my last purchase.
See, IMO that deal went south from the get-go, and just got worse. (Granted, I'm old and remember real customer service) - but that cashier should have "told the guys in the back" herself. People are always telling us how we can do things ourselves, to work around the laziness of
employees and poor customer service policies. WE KNOW THAT - but we are paying these people and if we can't get any satisfaction from the companies, we at least want to be able to gripe about it! :D

Oh - and get off my lawn. LOL

Not sure what the issue is here on past orders, I have emails of every order I ever placed with them so I know what I bought. In regards to an alternative source there is none if you want their products they left Amazon and the other sites years ago and only sell on their site which to me is actually a positive I know I am not getting a knockoff which is why they did it to begin with.

In the long haul, the new system is hopefully better. As an IT professional, you have to weigh the ROI in the cost of migrating past orders to the new system. Generally, it’s a waste of money as the past orders are completed and if you support the past sales (like Thermoworks generally goes above and beyond for), then what’s the crime here?

I've had this happen with a couple of different vendors in the past when they've upgraded their system, and it's never really proven to have been a problem. I guess I've never really seen the importance of the past records, with the exception of the minor convenience of looking them up, but I've still got emails and bank records for that if I really need them. JMO.

If anything is improved, I hope that it is with the Paypal payment setup. The last orders with them (and a few other vendors), I still had to fill in all of my information, even though paying with Paypal. Other sites I have used will auto-load that info once you click on the Paypal button and log in. Not sure why some sites it works one way and others another way.

I think I chalk this one up to something that might be an annoyance, but not a deal killer. I know if I need to access an old order, I can always call (though not really necessary since I can open a drawer in the kitchen and see every one of their products I have ordered!) 🤣 I enjoy the quality of their products, as do the folks to whom I have recommended them (or for whom I have purchased them.) I'll keep buying if they keep having sales.......though I'm pretty set right now (hoping I get a Signals for Father's Day.....but I don't need it!) 🤣🤣

The attitude on the phone thing is not great. Since I've always had good service when I have called, I think I'd chalk that up to a one time thing unless it repeats a time or two more.

Having said all that, if this change and CS interaction bugs YOU enough, then maybe time for you to look around for a new vendor.

R

Back