The Wedding Grill

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
One of my favorite Sunday School kids from years ago is now all grown up and just got married last month.

IMG_5861.jpeg

His father owns my dream Skyline grill I sold to him when we left Florida, and he even helped me with some grill projects as a teenager. So he has learned to love classic Weber grills. When I saw “grill” on their gift registry, I told him to consider that covered😎!

This grill was as slow as molasses, like most of mine, but I am very happy how it came out.

Sandblasted firebox and rust treated frame made a good foundation:
IMG_5772.jpeg

IMG_6055.jpeg

I did the whole valve disassembly, cleaning and lubrication:

IMG_6009.jpeg
IMG_6013.jpeg

Along with new 304 stainless burners, I threw in a set of Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer 13-bar flavorizers and my one set of Midwest Hearth grates, a promising brand that popped up and then disappeared from Amazon:
IMG_6075.jpeg

Probably the most time consuming aspect was staining and applying three coats of spar urethane to the red oak shelves and matching handle a friend made for me. The drying times dragged this out as I could only do one side of the slats at a time:

IMG_6116.jpeg

I wouldn’t begin to compare my woodwork with the amazing work done by @Josh Dekubber but I really like how the light oak sets off the black hood and framework:

IMG_6137.jpeg
IMG_6145.jpeg
IMG_6144.jpeg

WEDDING PRESENT 👰🤵READY TO DELIVER!

IMG_6146.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6146.jpeg
    IMG_6146.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, everyone. I forgot to mention that this grill was not a restore of an old Genesis but rather kind of a factory job assembled piece by piece from my parts bins.

The regulator is new, chosen for the stainless braided hose. Shout out to @Bruce for his help in pointing out what I needed to adapt this new regulator to the classic old style manifold.

One of my favorite Sunday School kids from years ago is now all grown up and just got married last month.

View attachment 100429

His father owns my dream Skyline grill I sold to him when we left Florida, and he even helped me with some grill projects as a teenager. So he has learned to love classic Weber grills. When I saw “grill” on their gift registry, I told him to consider that covered😎!

This grill was as slow as molasses, like most of mine, but I am very happy how it came out.

View attachment 100430

View attachment 100431

View attachment 100432
View attachment 100433

Along with new 304 stainless burners, I threw in a set of Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer 13-bar flavorizers and my one set of Midwest Hearth grates, a promising brand that popped up and then disappeared from Amazon:
View attachment 100434

Probably the most time consuming aspect was staining and applying three coats of spar urethane to the red oak shelves and matching handle a friend made for me. The drying times dragged this out as I could only do one side of the slats at a time:

View attachment 100435

I wouldn’t begin to compare my woodwork with the amazing work done by @Josh Dekubber but I really like how the light oak sets off the black hood and framework:

View attachment 100437
View attachment 100438
View attachment 100439

View attachment 100440

The slats look amazing Jon

View attachment 100429

View attachment 100430

View attachment 100431

View attachment 100432
View attachment 100433

View attachment 100434

View attachment 100435

View attachment 100437
View attachment 100438
View attachment 100439

View attachment 100440

Also, nice photo shoot in your living room.

Now im going to have to light some candles and take pics of mine in the bedroom ...

Last edited:
I would definitely be proud of that grill Jon. I love the fact that it is essentially a parts grill in reverse. I have don't that a couple times where I rehabbed a grill that probably had parts from ten different grills on it when I got it done. It is very satisfying.

Unless Dad gives him a new Lexus for a wedding present, your grill is probably going to be right near the top of the groom's present list.

Jon, that is one of the most kind things I’ve seen on a long time. Good for you.

Side note, that valve collar is the exact one I need for the project we have been talking about.
Sorry for the hijack.

Back