The Searwood has arrived!

I've deleted several replies in this thread and put a couple of members into the moderation queue so I can monitor their posts. Name calling will not be tolerated. If you're frustrated by another member, either go read another thread or click the member's name and select "Ignore" so you won't see their posts anymore.

I've deleted several replies in this thread and put a couple of members into the moderation queue so I can monitor their posts. Name calling will not be tolerated. If you're frustrated by another member, either go read another thread or click the member's name and select "Ignore" so you won't see their posts anymore.

Thanks @Chris Allingham - I appreciate your efforts at keeping this community civil!

I’ll just pile onto this thread - my XL 600 arrived today! It came from Weber and the delivery guy actually took it around the house and put it on our patio. Assembly went well. My daughter helped me and it took exactly a hour even counting time to re-tap one hole.

Only issues with assembly are once you pull box off the bottom try want to fall down - not a biggie but watch out. Once you pull all the parts out of the grill and lift the lid to take it off as required for assembly it may want to tip over on it’s back - again just a “watch out” issue. Lastly, all the bolts are coated in dry blue thread locker. This makes it difficult to start them by hand or with a hand hex wrench. I managed to start stripping one of the hole and had to chase the threads - 1/4-20.

Software updated easily and did the burn in without any problems. Seems I’m getting the E21 error for low pellets too early but time will tell.

Excited to cook on it soon. Thanks for all the help on this forum helping my choose the Searwood!

I’ll just pile onto this thread - my XL 600 arrived today! It came from Weber and the delivery guy actually took it around the house and put it on our patio. Assembly went well. My daughter helped me and it took exactly a hour even counting time to re-tap one hole.

Only issues with assembly are once you pull box off the bottom try want to fall down - not a biggie but watch out. Once you pull all the parts out of the grill and lift the lid to take it off as required for assembly it may want to tip over on it’s back - again just a “watch out” issue. Lastly, all the bolts are coated in dry blue thread locker. This makes it difficult to start them by hand or with a hand hex wrench. I managed to start stripping one of the hole and had to chase the threads - 1/4-20.

Software updated easily and did the burn in without any problems. Seems I’m getting the E21 error for low pellets too early but time will tell.

Excited to cook on it soon. Thanks for all the help on this forum helping my choose the Searwood!
Great tips on the build.

Well welcome to the wonderful world of pellet grills! Can't wait to see it in action! You're close enough for me to show up for supper!
Couldn't wait to try it out but didn't really prepare a grill dinner. My wife had fish and shrimp so I made shrimp scampi in my Weber round cast iron pan and the fish in another pan. I used manual mode with the lid closed. Maybe I don't know how to display it but I could see pit temp on the app but not on the grill controller. It all came out great (but not really grilling). It was nice to try out but I like doing this better on my 3-burner Genesis because you can control heat zones. I bought the rotisserie so will probably give it a try this weekend.

Couldn't wait to try it out but didn't really prepare a grill dinner. My wife had fish and shrimp so I made shrimp scampi in my Weber round cast iron pan and the fish in another pan. I used manual mode with the lid closed. Maybe I don't know how to display it but I could see pit temp on the app but not on the grill controller. It all came out great (but not really grilling). It was nice to try out but I like doing this better on my 3-burner Genesis because you can control heat zones. I bought the rotisserie so will probably give it a try this weekend.
Well there ya go. You're showing just how versatile it and this type of cooking can be when you put your mind to it

He talks about over a bag of pellets. So, I am perplexed. 10lb bags, 20lb bags, 40lb bags? He never indicates the size of the bags. That being said, even if it's only 10 lb ones. That seems like an awful lot of pellets. But, then I have not done a long smoke in about 3 weeks when I did that shoulder. But, IIRC I might have gone through 8lbs max I'll pay more attention to this my next trip down long smoke lane though

He talks about over a bag of pellets. So, I am perplexed. 10lb bags, 20lb bags, 40lb bags? He never indicates the size of the bags. That being said, even if it's only 10 lb ones. That seems like an awful lot of pellets. But, then I have not done a long smoke in about 3 weeks when I did that shoulder. But, IIRC I might have gone through 8lbs max I'll pay more attention to this my next trip down long smoke lane though
Yeah, I just guessed 20 pounds. Might be work asking in the questions.

20lbs for 10 hours, that seems like a lot unless he had the temp up over 250F. I did a 15 hour smoke at 225/250 and only used about 18 lb of pellets in the SmokeFire.

If I were to go Searwood this time around I would probably go with the smaller one, I bought a WSM 22 and the bigger SmokeFire I always wondered if the smaller versions would run better with less heat needed. I also rarely filled either up with food.

If I were to go Searwood this time around I would probably go with the smaller one, I bought a WSM 22 and the bigger SmokeFire I always wondered if the smaller versions would run better with less heat needed. I also rarely filled either up with food.
I would miss the space, even though I only usually cook for two. It's also nice to have all the shelf space, front and side too.

Yeah, my Z has a 20lb hopper. I can put exactly 1/2 a bag in it. Have don't overnight cooks, briskets and such and I don't think I got through a 1/3'd of the hopper. I don't fill it anymore so as to keep possibility of moisture buildup to a minimum. I only put what I think I will use for a cook. And always still surprised how little they burn

I had the EX4 and now the Searwood 600. I find it to be plenty for my family of 4. I still have the WSM 18, WSK and Genesis if I really need to use them.

Back