The Searwood has arrived!

Sambo ribs on the Searwood:

Am I the only one finding this guy a bit tiresome? Watching a guy talk while he's sitting on a bucket on his deck is not interesting. There's likely several hundred ways to cook ribs, his recipe looked like a confused candy store method. His detailed reporting of the Searwood is worthwhile but I think he's reached his limit of meaningful content output.
His production quality and content organization is at best, limited.

Am I the only one finding this guy a bit tiresome? Watching a guy talk while he's sitting on a bucket on his deck is not interesting. There's likely several hundred ways to cook ribs, his recipe looked like a confused candy store method. His detailed reporting of the Searwood is worthwhile but I think he's reached his limit of meaningful content output.
I guess I disagree (which is why I post his videos). I like his short, to the point videos and I like that he isn't a youtube / bbq pro. He fully admits the rib video is not for the pros and is beginner level. I don't like them all slathered and they looked overdone to the way I like them, but I think there is value to his posts and he certainly has put the Searwood to full use. And I get he is not everyone's cup of tea.

I don't know much about him or his channel, but I get the impression that he's just a guy who likes making videos for youtube - as opposed to a full time content creator/creative team. So while he throws in a movie clip here and there or uses those fancy transition effects, he's really just a guy who sits on a bucket on his deck and talks about his bbq pits. I don't know that I'll ever try to replicate any of his cooks, but as someone who doesn't own a Searwood, I find value in the fact that he's "just a guy" who is sharing his real world experience/thoughts on the cooker. And knowing how unhappy he was with the SmokeFire, seeing him almost giddy about the Searwood is kinda fun to watch too.

As far as reaching the limit of meaningful content output, I think that can be said for lots of youtube... but that's not gonna stop the creators from creating. Especially those "just a guy/girl with a camera and something to say" types who aren't doing it as a primary source of income.

I guess I disagree (which is why I post his videos). I like his short, to the point videos and I like that he isn't a youtube / bbq pro. He fully admits the rib video is not for the pros and is beginner level. I don't like them all slathered and they looked overdone to the way I like them, but I think there is value to his posts and he certainly has put the Searwood to full use. And I get he is not everyone's cup of tea.

Well said @Todd K Wisc - he definitely has been putting the Searwood through its paces (in a real world backyard not a purpose-built studio environment) and that alone is worth something.

Well said @Todd K Wisc - he definitely has been putting the Searwood through its paces (in a real world backyard not a purpose-built studio environment) and that alone is worth something.
That's the part where his videos have value.
I guess the Searwood has been out long enough to show that it's certainly not the Smokefire...and he did a great job explaining his issues, compared the two grills and added to the knowledge base of the Searwood for potential buyers. Now it's just another guy cooking on a pellet grill.

That's the part where his videos have value.
I guess the Searwood has been out long enough to show that it's certainly not the Smokefire...and he did a great job explaining his issues, compared the two grills and added to the knowledge base of the Searwood for potential buyers. Now it's just another guy cooking on a pellet grill.

Yeah - I do agree with you on that point... And some of his observations about his cooks made me chuckle because the results he's attributing to the specific cooker (like when he compared the brisket on the SmokeFire to the brisket on the Searwood) probably have more to do with the protein or the technique used while cooking it than it did to the tool on which the food was cooked. But I digress. . . I definitely agree that now that he's clearly happy with the Searwood, he is truly just another guy cooking on a pellet grill.

Last edited:
He’s just a basic backyard guy cooking for his family. Pretty simple and basic. We all had to start at some level. He likely appeals to more nubes and those just starting out.

Truth be told, I dislike hearing him always touting that he's a teacher.
BFD. Folks watching his videos aren't kids. Stop with simpleton explanations.
Now I know why I'm sick of him. He was a one hit wonder for those seeking reassurance for their Weber pellet grill purchase. Not more.

Weber Searwood - cleaning after 10 cooks

I think it was doing things like this that led to so much of the SmokeFire issues. Why on earth do you let a grill get like this? Now I'll lay odds the first time one of these people have a huge fire, they'll be blaming Weber and the Searwood, rather than treating the unit in this manner.

I prefer the people on YouTube that aren't that polished. It comes off as a bit more authentic to me. But I can see how some would like higher production value.

Back