The Searwood has arrived!

That burn pot sure looks like it will stand the test of time. Overly built? Who you talking too? Lol. I'm looking forward to hear how it does compared to the SmokeFire on cooks.

I suspect there will be a lot of greasy build up in the back by the hood since there are no vents like the SmokeFire. Smoke has to exit somewhere.

The smoke does vent out the back similar to the SmokeFire but it does it like the old style Genesis grills did. There is a gap between lid and firebox with the curved portion covering the gap. But there is still a gap and full length vent. Like on an old school Genesis (1xxx-3xxxx) it's makes sure rain and wind don't blow in. There is no way you could run a smoker with no vent

Great info and pics.
The thinness of the flavorizer bar worries me, some have reported it glowing cherry red at 600.

The hole quality is hilarious , but it looks pretty dang sweet!!
The heat deflector glows red when up to 600 not the flavorizer bar. But yes the bar is thin stainless steel.
Surprised to see such little ash in the cook box after 4 cooks plus biscuit test. Plus all the grease seems to find its home in the right place.
Smoking a brisket flat today. Results to be posted later.
CEF995B6-90C8-465B-8E58-B19A1D10900B.jpegD71DAD9F-335C-4C7F-BF4C-58151DCA608D.jpeg

Last edited:
The heat deflector glows red when up to 600 not the flavorizer bar. But yes the bar is thin stainless steel.
Surprised to see such little ash in the cook box after 4 cooks plus biscuit test. Plus all the grease seems to find its home in the right place.
Smoking a brisket flat today. Results to be posted later.

Eager to see the brisket results (both the food and the after action report on the Searwood itself)! As someone who doesn't see a new searwood in his future (certainly not anytime soon) I am 100% living vicariously through you! No pressure though... hahaha

Why take it off? Honestly I've quit wrapping or anything. I just let it sail right though. Fantastic bark and flavor.

@LMichaels - Was there a specific reason you quit wrapping? Just curious. For the longest time I didn't wrap briskets, the last 2 that I've done I've wrapped. The first one came out really good and the second... well everyone else said it was really good. I'm sure it wasn't the wrapping that was the problem, but I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to continue wrapping.

The smoke does vent out the back similar to the SmokeFire but it does it like the old style Genesis grills did. There is a gap between lid and firebox with the curved portion covering the gap. But there is still a gap and full length vent. Like on an old school Genesis (1xxx-3xxxx) it's makes sure rain and wind don't blow in. There is no way you could run a smoker with no vent
You’re likely right. My fingers could only make it so far up the back of the lid space. I hope to give it a spin this weekend.

I quit because it was just too much trouble with no "reward" to my tastes. I guess yeah if you want to "push" it on time by going higher heat wrapping likely does have a benefit. But I found I've been running them 225-240, I get great bark nice and juicy in both flat and point. If I was doing flats only I might change this

I quit because it was just too much trouble with no "reward" to my tastes. I guess yeah if you want to "push" it on time by going higher heat wrapping likely does have a benefit. But I found I've been running them 225-240, I get great bark nice and juicy in both flat and point. If I was doing flats only I might change this
Not sure what kind of trouble it is you had no reward to your tastes thats fine many like myself gave up cooking at those temps along time ago with no downside to the meat by the way. Like many here I believe, I use the high heat at 275 for ribs, pulled pork or briskets never less then 350 if I am doing wings for example. I always wrap don't see any need not to do it if you don't don't do it just wasting more hours for a cook and no reward as you said to my tastes.

To each their own in the end did the food come out to your liking is really what counts.

Wrapping was just plain "messy". My last time wrapping a brisket it turned into a huge fiasco. Grease all over the place, then when I pulled the brisket a bit of wrap had either stuck to or got caught by a grate and I ended up with grease and meat juice all over myself, the inside of my smoker, my deck, my kitchen. And after all that, it was no better (actually was worse) than the one I'd done previously with no wrap. Just slapped it on upper grate, sheet pan under it, and let it go. Started on Super Smoke setting (160) and let it get that for about an hour, went up to 225 (which on my grills still puts out VERY generous smoke profile, and let that go right through the stall until finished (IIRC I did turn it up to 240 or 250) but no wrap. I had bark to die for, deep deep smoke profile, perfectly done meat. On the 2X now I've not covered I would put that brisket (and shoulder) up against anyone's pellet or stick burner. I've had brisket done by so called "champion" grill masters and what I turned out was easily as good or better.
Yeah, I am over the gymnastics. I just slap the meat on and "go"

I only wrap Flats. I like adding some beef tallow before wrapping to add some extra moisture help because cut is so lean. Here’s the finished product! Great smoke flavor!

@DavidLeRow - Fantastic looking brisket! Glad it turned out well. Certainly looks like you're enjoying your Searwood (I've got to get used to not calling it a smokefire lol).

[ . . . ] Yeah, I am over the gymnastics. I just slap the meat on and "go"

@LMichaels - Thanks for your feedback. I certainly appreciate your perspective. As I may have mentioned before, I've only wrapped the two briskets (and maybe I wrapped beef short ribs that one time about a decade ago) so I've got very little to go on by way of personal experience. Typically I'm a "slap the meat on and go" kinda guy, but I figured so many people wrap their brisket maybe there's something to it. I'm still on the fence, and will probably wrap my next one just to see how it goes. Maybe next time I'll get my hands on some tallow for the wrap too. I got a buddy who swears by it so it can't be all that bad.

I tried the tallow thing as well (made my own). Honestly? Just more mess to deal with IMO. I am at the stage where I want REALLY good but also "easy". :D And, have found with either BigZ, or the MM a simple straight cook gets the job done and keeps my life as simple as possible. But, again, I don't fault anyone for trying different techniques. Just simply offering my perspective on what seems to work for my tastes and needs

Moved my Searwood out onto the deck after picking up my cover after work today. Got all set up and was about to complete the burn in… when I noticed something. Or lack of something. I did not see a fuel sensor in the hopper of the 600 (not the XL like the OP is using.)

So I went to Weber’s site. There no mention of a fuel sensor or low fuel warning as a feature. The XL advertises a fuel gauge on the digital display, which I assume means “at all times.”

I’m ok with not being able to see the fuel level “at all times” but what I cannot seem to find an answer to, is whether or not the 600 will warn me through the interface OR Weber app - when the fuel is low?

Edit: Found it. Dismissable low fuel error code. Interesting.

Last edited:
I only wrap Flats. I like adding some beef tallow before wrapping to add some extra moisture help because cut is so lean. Here’s the finished product! Great smoke flavor!
View attachment 89511View attachment 89512
That looks perfect!

The Searwood looks impressive. My son keeps bugging me to join the pellet grill club. I use a Primo ceramic grill for slow cooking, have a NG 3-burner Genesis for everyday cooking, a Traveler for tailgating, and a Weber griddle.

I'm tempted to get this new Searwood to replace my Primo and Genesis - any thoughts?

Also, my Ace has some killer deals on the Smokefire Stealth grills. Is the Searwood that much better?

Thanks

That looks perfect!

The Searwood looks impressive. My son keeps bugging me to join the pellet grill club. I use a Primo ceramic grill for slow cooking, have a NG 3-burner Genesis for everyday cooking, a Traveler for tailgating, and a Weber griddle.

I'm tempted to get this new Searwood to replace my Primo and Genesis - any thoughts?

Also, my Ace has some killer deals on the Smokefire Stealth grills. Is the Searwood that much better?

Thanks
Get the pellet grill but keep the Genesis.

Back