The Searwood has arrived!

Yeah, there are some little bits and pieces in there that look a little "suspect". Not having 4 casters IMO is a real "cheapout". If I bought one that is one mod that would be made ASAP. Even my MM at least has the wagon wheels and 2 casters. And a shelf that folds up. The Z has 4 very large very heavy duty casters under it as well. For the price ranges these things are in, casters and at least one shelf could/should have been included

I stopped by the local ACE and pulled the grates out to check out the internals. They are some type of stainless, but really thin. 22-24 gauge I'm guessing. Very similar to the material used on the Smokefire front shelf. The firebox diffuser is same stuff, but the edges are crimped over. The grill is cast aluminum and far thinner than my 17 year old genesis (yes it still works). I lost any interest after seeing this smoker in person.

I'm still intrigued with the Searwood, warts and all. Granted it's only been out for a short time but so far it looks like Weber made some improvements that I wish the SmokeFire had from the beginning. Most notable to me is the ash/grease management system. And, the large central flavorizor bar looks more functional than the individual bars in the SmokeFire.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to see a Searwood this weekend at my local Ace.

I'm still intrigued with the Searwood, warts and all. Granted it's only been out for a short time but so far it looks like Weber made some improvements that I wish the SmokeFire had from the beginning. Most notable to me is the ash/grease management system. And, the large central flavorizor bar looks more functional than the individual bars in the SmokeFire.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to see a Searwood this weekend at my local Ace.

I agree - though I don't own a SmokeFire, the Searwood does intrigue me. Based on what I've seen of the grease/ash management, it definitely looks like an improvement. I still worry you'll end up with an ash/grease slurry/sludge after a big long cook (like multiple butts or briskets), but from the pictures I've seen it looks like the updated system does a decent job of keeping the two separate.

Regardless, I doubt I'll be getting a Searwood (or any new pellet cooker) any time soon. Maybe if I save my milk money . . .

Searwood landed in Canada over here. I picked mine up on the way home from work. I even decided to buy the rotisserie to go along with it. I sold my Smokefire a few months back, so we’ll see if anything if different on this model compared to the fire pot photos posted previously.

Onto building it…

Searwood landed in Canada over here. I picked mine up on the way home from work. I even decided to buy the rotisserie to go along with it. I sold my Smokefire a few months back, so we’ll see if anything if different on this model compared to the fire pot photos posted previously.

Onto building it…
I definitely want the rotisserie too. And the front shelf!

Onto building it…
Well this is exciting!!

Ok. You didn’t think you’d have to wait long did you? She’s all assembled. She’s sitting in the bonus room until my cover arrives and then she’ll hit the deck. Observations on the 600 (non XL.) Pics to follow in order.

- The burn put does look shoddy above the rim, but seems built well, other than it looking like it was tin snipped and scuffed.
- The flavourizer bar is thin. Like aluminum. It’ll be interesting to see how it holds out. It feels like it could warp easily.
- The PID is plug and play. I think they did this so if it needs repair, you could unplug it and send it in… or Weber sends you a new one.
- The 2 large casters. I don’t plan on moving my grill once it’s on the deck, but honestly… it’s very easy to move. It’s like moving a dolly.
- There don’t appear to be any vents. As in… at all. The sides of the lid have some gaps, likely for the rotisserie attachment. The back of the lid has a lip, but after further inspection, the inner lip is blocked off until you open the lid.
- The 2 probe outlets. If you have the Smokefire probes… you’re out of luck. They don’t fit the Searwood. The plugs are too small.
- The heat diffuser that goes over the burn pot. It’s upside down in my hand. It’s some gauge of steel and it is over built. Quite heavy.
- The grates stay stationary. No rails to collect grease or provoke a grease fire.

That’s all I have for now. Feel free to ask anything more you’d like to know, and I or the other members will do our best to answer.

Back