The Restored Weber Skyline Genesis.

What brand gas tank is this?

https://i.imgur.com/tCq5oVT.jpg

It's not a Blue Rhino, nor an AmeriGas.

But I like the top portion. It allows it to hang the gas tank, on the tank scale, using the center hole.

The Blue Rhino ones have a thing that sticks out on their center hole, so it gets in the way of the spring. I have to use a side hole.

This gas tank was inherited. My brother-in-law says it was from a gas station, but doesn't remember which one, nor what brand tank it was.

Most of my tanks are like that. I don't think Blue Rhino necessarily makes their tanks. They run several exchanges around me (Walmarts for one) and take any tank in exchange. They just put that plastic sleeve around the tank when they refill it.

Most of my tanks are like that. I don't think Blue Rhino necessarily makes their tanks. They run several exchanges around me (Walmarts for one) and take any tank in exchange. They just put that plastic sleeve around the tank when they refill it.

Oh. I guess a Blue Rhino tank will be different depending on the store I get it from, then, if they don't make their tanks.

When I went to Ace Hardware in February, they were able to refill 1 of the 2 unidentified brand tanks.

They couldn't refill the 2nd one though, because it was too old. And they were out of tank exchanges that day.

I went to a Lowes the following weekend, and bought a Blue Rhino. Because I still wanted to have 2 tanks. I was disappointed that it had that top upper lip thing, around the holes, like this:

62b9afce-303e-4209-8595-7587027a0ae8_1.6c36a739ac0817dc24d6c64cd98c76d2.jpeg

I made this catfish using Cajun's Choice seasoning a few weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/a/m8bMZwV

I have been using Cajun's Choice on chicken for a long time.

First time I tried it on fish.

I liked it. I'd make it again.

Also, I've been having a problem while cooking the fish. I didn't have this for the first recipe I tried above. Maybe because the grates were brand new?

But for the next two, the fish has been sticking to the grill. It doesn't stick on the first flip over. But after it's cooked on the other side, and I'm ready to remove it, that's when it sticks.

I've been doing 7 mins per side.

I've read a lot of different suggestions on how to avoid this, but not sure which one I should try.

One thing I think I can do differently is that instead of using tongs, I can use a spatula? I see there's also things called fish turners. I want to see if I can use a spatula first though, before buying another tool.

I wanted to have the fish directly on the grill so I can have grill marks.

But it's really not a good idea, and that I should use parchment paper, I can do that.

Just wondering what people who grill fish on gas grills more than I have, suggest.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You might find your parchment paper burned up... Another option for fish is using wood grilling planks. It is a popular way to grill fish. If you do a little searching, you will find a lot of information on it. I have never tried it however. But you can buy the grilling planks in almost any grill accessory section in a store....Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc....

Arun,
Awesome to see you are using the grill.

As for your fish question, I've never grilled fish directly on the grates. I've always used some sort of wood plank to put the fish on. Something like this,

https://www.target.com/p/western-ce...VkLfsCh0vYgKiEAQYAiABEgK8PvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm guessing others will have opinions on how to do it but I have found that using the wood fish planks works very well for me. They are available almost everywhere, the link I put in it's just the first thing that came up when I did a search for them.

You might find your parchment paper burned up... Another option for fish is using wood grilling planks. It is a popular way to grill fish. If you do a little searching, you will find a lot of information on it. I have never tried it however. But you can buy the grilling planks in almost any grill accessory section in a store....Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc....

Arun,
Awesome to see you are using the grill.

As for your fish question, I've never grilled fish directly on the grates. I've always used some sort of wood plank to put the fish on. Something like this,

https://www.target.com/p/western-ce...VkLfsCh0vYgKiEAQYAiABEgK8PvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm guessing others will have opinions on how to do it but I have found that using the wood fish planks works very well for me. They are available almost everywhere, the link I put in it's just the first thing that came up when I did a search for them.

I like this idea.

Thanks.

How often can these wood planks be re-used? Do they eventually wear down, or can they be re-used for several years?

I would say you can, but make sure they are big enough that they won't fall between the bars.

:rolleyes:

I didn't even notice that Dave. hahahahahaha.

Those flavorizer bars are kind of out of whack as well.

Arun:

Yes, flip your grates over. The cross beams (the rods that go left to right) should be on the bottom. This way you can cook and flip fish, etc.

The flavorizer bars, they go between the ruts, but not in the ruts. Like this: Flavo I I Flavo I I Flavo. The space between those dividers should be empty. It is counter intuitive, but when you put them in the right way suddenly it becomes intuitive.

Good luck!

Tim

Arun,

I am really glad you went the restored Genesis route. I believe you will be a LOT happier with that than any newer model. And, you got a SKYLINE that was very well restored! Great job by Jason. Top drawer.

Let me welcome you to the club;)

i3FJugm.jpg

Awesome grill Arun. Hat tip to a job well done.
Turn your grates right side up and it will be perfect. :D

:rolleyes:

I didn't even notice that Dave. hahahahahaha.

Those flavorizer bars are kind of out of whack as well.

Arun:

Yes, flip your grates over. The cross beams (the rods that go left to right) should be on the bottom. This way you can cook and flip fish, etc.

The flavorizer bars, they go between the ruts, but not in the ruts. Like this: Flavo I I Flavo I I Flavo. The space between those dividers should be empty. It is counter intuitive, but when you put them in the right way suddenly it becomes intuitive.

Good luck!

Tim

I tried adjusting the flavorizer bars, but I'm still not sure what to do.

Do I have enough bars?

I tried minimizing the space in between:

https://i.imgur.com/qgwmrB5.jpg

Here's the grates flipped over.

https://i.imgur.com/dbqVJdF.jpg

Back