The Porchetta

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Got ‘er seasoned up, rolled and tied. Here’s the play by play.

I trimmed 1# 9oz off the belly for size, so it fits on my sheet tray nicely. So I’m cooking around a 7# fat cigar here.

1698533736497.jpeg

Lotta fresh garlic, and my own dried herbs (more potent than store junk) of basil, Italian parsley, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes, heavy black pepper and evoo to create a paste.

1698533866496.jpeg

1698533884196.jpeg

Jacquard’ the skin heavily. Death by 1 million pokes.

1698533935577.jpeg

1698533951043.jpeg

Butterflied the PB so it opens like a book.

1698533989448.jpeg

Salted the bottom layer first. Then added half the herb rub and then topped with pecorino.

1698534027895.jpeg

Closed the flap and then repeated a salting layer, herb and pecorino.

1698534076492.jpeg

1698534091018.jpeg

Then proceeded to do a 4-side tie and truss.

1698534131430.jpeg

This tying took a good 20 minutes as you have to weave the twine on each ring tie and then do this on all four sides.

1698534206731.jpeg

Salted the skin all over to ensure good coverage. This will pull moisture off the skin as Porkie sits exposed in the fridge overnight. The salt will then get wiped off before the cook so we’re not having salt bomb skin. Purely the salt is a drying/curing process and step.

1698534346582.jpeg

Closeup of the salted skin

1698534377715.jpeg

Length pic just because

1698534417268.jpeg

Into the fridge to chill and dry

1698534442715.jpeg

Feeling pretty good about this. Hopefully the plan all comes together tomorrow. Estimating this will cook to 180° in 4 hours.

Will start with a high heat, runway cook on the WSK with a drip pan to catch the drippings. Will do the high heat for 45 minutes or so and then dial down to 350° if I like what I’m seeing.

Goals are crispy skin and knife tender porchetta that holds some shape, not shreds.

Will serve on some fresh baguette with some sort of herb or roasted pepper with evoo and some acid to cut the fat a little. And either some red or white wine.

Feel free to ask away. I don’t really know what I’m doing anyways 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Looks awesome so far! The tying process has kept this cook down my list but that is exceptional detail on that tie and salt! Go for it!

YES! “Casual” slices would be my goal as well. The “jacquard“ of the skin is brilliant, render the fat as evenly as possible, good thought.
Brett, I think this is driving me toward making a porchetta SOON!
One thing, no fennel? I think fronds in the “stuffing” or toasted seeds would be great. When I do one, I will try to document the cook fully.

Now, don’t hold your breath…

YES! “Casual” slices would be my goal as well. The “jacquard“ of the skin is brilliant, render the fat as evenly as possible, good thought.
Brett, I think this is driving me toward making a porchetta SOON!
One thing, no fennel? I think fronds in the “stuffing” or toasted seeds would be great. When I do one, I will try to document the cook fully.

Now, don’t hold your breath…
I should have added fennel. I leaned toward less overpowering vs very high flavor. So this is my baseline version which I’ll make notes and improve upon. I also left out lemon zest. I really want to see how the flavors play and then “make it my own.”

I read too many recipes. So less is more is the plan. Your input is valid. Notes made.

I’m going to have to think about this project. Toasted fennel in the spice mixture would be good but, some finely chopped fronds (or even some of the bulb) might be a source for moisture too.
This will be on the “List” for sure!

Got ‘er seasoned up, rolled and tied. Here’s the play by play.

I trimmed 1# 9oz off the belly for size, so it fits on my sheet tray nicely. So I’m cooking around a 7# fat cigar here.

View attachment 81250

Lotta fresh garlic, and my own dried herbs (more potent than store junk) of basil, Italian parsley, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes, heavy black pepper and evoo to create a paste.

View attachment 81251

View attachment 81252

Jacquard’ the skin heavily. Death by 1 million pokes.

View attachment 81253

View attachment 81254

Butterflied the PB so it opens like a book.

View attachment 81255

Salted the bottom layer first. Then added half the herb rub and then topped with pecorino.

View attachment 81256

Closed the flap and then repeated a salting layer, herb and pecorino.

View attachment 81257

View attachment 81258

Then proceeded to do a 4-side tie and truss.

View attachment 81259

This tying took a good 20 minutes as you have to weave the twine on each ring tie and then do this on all four sides.

View attachment 81260

Salted the skin all over to ensure good coverage. This will pull moisture off the skin as Porkie sits exposed in the fridge overnight. The salt will then get wiped off before the cook so we’re not having salt bomb skin. Purely the salt is a drying/curing process and step.

View attachment 81261

Closeup of the salted skin

View attachment 81262

Length pic just because

View attachment 81263

Into the fridge to chill and dry

View attachment 81264

Feeling pretty good about this. Hopefully the plan all comes together tomorrow. Estimating this will cook to 180° in 4 hours.

Will start with a high heat, runway cook on the WSK with a drip pan to catch the drippings. Will do the high heat for 45 minutes or so and then dial down to 350° if I like what I’m seeing.

Goals are crispy skin and knife tender porchetta that holds some shape, not shreds.

Will serve on some fresh baguette with some sort of herb or roasted pepper with evoo and some acid to cut the fat a little. And either some red or white wine.

Feel free to ask away. I don’t really know what I’m doing anyways 😂😂😂
Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see and hear your results.

Back