The Porchetta

175° is when the meat has rendered and is sliceable and not chewy. The meat fibers are supple, juicy and not shredding like a pulled pork. If you go lower,you’ll run the risk of rubbery, not fully rendered meat. If you go above 180° you’re going to start to shred when you slice. From 175° and left untented for 10 minutes before slicing, I was able to make excellent slices and still have shape on each ring. The meat was bite through tender and not rubbery, stringy pieces. Just follow me and it’ll be all right. I am your Guinea pig.

mmmm hmmmmmmm
This is why I ask......it's something new....heck everything I cook everything to either just over raw.....or to 200.......
I may run it past the MRS...........see if she has any immediate body language on your pics.
Post sexier pics, it might help......:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::p:p:p:p

mmmm hmmmmmmm
This is why I ask......it's something new....heck everything I cook everything to either just over raw.....or to 200.......
I may run it past the MRS...........see if she has any immediate body language on your pics.
Post sexier pics, it might help......:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::p:p:p:p
my meat log is as sexy as it gets. enjoy it. i've bared it all for you to see on TVWBB.

I think these are sold under a variety of names, but they seem to share one thing in common: the handles are hollow, so if you immerse them, they will fill with water. If yours is one of those with a hollow handle, make sure to shake the water out of the handle (if needed) after washing. Washing in a dishwasher with the tines down might be ok, I dunno. Also, on mine, the spring pressure will tend to smash whatever it is that I'm poking. I tried taking the springs out but that turned out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
That is a spectacular cook - nice job. Thanks for letting us follow along.
There is a lot to be learned by watching this guy. I particularly enjoy seeing the hardware (S6) setup, time and temps, and prep work that goes into all of this. It's too much work for me, but I enjoy seeing a man passionate about what he does. Thanks for posting, Brett!

There is a lot to be learned by watching this guy. I particularly enjoy seeing the hardware (S6) setup, time and temps, and prep work that goes into all of this. It's too much work for me, but I enjoy seeing a man passionate about what he does. Thanks for posting, Brett!
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I hope to inspire others to do the same. We’re all learning from each other.

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I hope to inspire others to do the same. We’re all learning from each other.
I really appreciate you and the help you have given me since I joined this forum.

I want to try this cook and think something simple has just passed right over my head.

Could you expand on the “Jacquard’ the skin heavily. Death by 1 million pokes.”?

I assume it’s using a “poker” similar to what @Ed P linked and @Timothy F. Lewis ”ordered” but am a little fuzzy on what exactly I am trying to achieve here, and how to go about it.

Thank you @Brett-EDH

my meat log is as sexy as it gets. enjoy it. i've bared it all for you to see on TVWBB.

Apparently pork belly burnt ends is what I should be cooking for appetizers this weekend....lol
Before taco night..???? what the..............whatever.
I like it all and it's easier not to ask questions I guess.

Yeah, Brett has made me get back into the swing of some more exciting (not more difficult necessarily) projects, thanks man!
Darryl, yes on the belly burnt ends! I’m thinking the same!

I really appreciate you and the help you have given me since I joined this forum.

I want to try this cook and think something simple has just passed right over my head.

Could you expand on the “Jacquard’ the skin heavily. Death by 1 million pokes.”?

I assume it’s using a “poker” similar to what @Ed P linked and @Timothy F. Lewis ”ordered” but am a little fuzzy on what exactly I am trying to achieve here, and how to go about it.

Thank you @Brett-EDH
You’re very welcome. Glad to be of help.

The jacquard tool has around 44 spring loaded tines. You will need to press the tool into to skin so the tines pierce the skin and slightly enter the PB meat under the skin. You should be diligent in establishing some sort of pattern when making your first jacquard pass across the whole face of the skin. I then rotated the direction of the jacquard tool to then cross over my first pass. Thus ensuring a full and complete coat of “a million” holes.

Now a million was/is a euphemism. I didn’t count for sure. The goal and objectivee is to ensure an even and full coat of jacquard holes. Doing this will allow for a very even skin fat render and cook. You’ll achieve the highly crackly skin that is melt in your mouth good.

For example, without making these hundreds of holes in the skin, the skin would still cook but you won’t get e these microblisters which are desirable. You’d get large, more solid skin pieces which would be more solid and brittle. And have a very hard mouthfeel.

Here’s a pic of what smooth skin, non jacquard looks like when cooked.

1698847314958.jpeg

As you can see in my actual pics, my skin is much more crackly and has the mouthfeel I was seeking. The unpoked skin can be very sharp and hard in your mouth. And can cut your gums too if you were to bite into a very stiff or firm piece. Thus I recommend the jacquard method and better render. It delivered my intended and desired results.

Who did the one in the last picture? An earlier attempt? Bth look outstanding but, I certainly understand your point about the pierced skin and the difference in mouth feel.

Yeah, Brett has made me get back into the swing of some more exciting (not more difficult necessarily) projects, thanks man!
That’s awesome. I’m actually a “lazy” cook. I really enjoy using my WSK and delivering high yield results with minimum effort. Yeah, I know some will say this statement is delusional but our grills can do so much more than the basics like dogs, burgers or pulled pork’s. The recipe planning isn’t that hard. It just needs some innovation and basic inspiration.

The world is so full of amazing cultures and foods. My journey is to cook many of them at home and share meals with family and friends. It just makes me happy, in a world that is quite sad these days.

Who did the one in the last picture? An earlier attempt? Bth look outstanding but, I certainly understand your point about the pierced skin and the difference in mouth feel.

Personally, I think I outcooked Kenji on this one.

Now in Rome this summer, the skin was not jacquard. The skin was pointy and sharp and tough, imo. I overcame that with my method. I’ve now had 4 or 5 sandos of my porchetta. I and very happy with my results. Like a pig in %%%%. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That’s awesome. I’m actually a “lazy” cook. I really enjoy using my WSK and delivering high yield results with minimum effort. Yeah, I know some will say this statement is delusional but our grills can do so much more than the basics like dogs, burgers or pulled pork’s. The recipe planning isn’t that hard. It just needs some innovation and basic inspiration.

The world is so full of amazing cultures and foods. My journey is to cook many of them at home and share meals with family and friends. It just makes me happy, in a world that is quite sad these days.
It’s inspiration that I need from time to time, I’m fairly lazy too but, when the mood is right, it’s just fun to do something NEW! The Porchetta is one of those things, I’ve wanted to do one for probably ten years but felt like I had to find a skin on belly to do it. Now, I’ll get on this train!

I do them a few times per year......if you haven't.......you now how much fat is on the belly, it all turns to a cotton candy like texture....
Not so much stringy but the fat just falls apart in your mouth and is insane juicy...........
The meat still has a soft chew, it's like heaven.

You’re very welcome. Glad to be of help.

The jacquard tool has around 44 spring loaded tines. You will need to press the tool into to skin so the tines pierce the skin and slightly enter the PB meat under the skin. You should be diligent in establishing some sort of pattern when making your first jacquard pass across the whole face of the skin. I then rotated the direction of the jacquard tool to then cross over my first pass. Thus ensuring a full and complete coat of “a million” holes.

Now a million was/is a euphemism. I didn’t count for sure. The goal and objectivee is to ensure an even and full coat of jacquard holes. Doing this will allow for a very even skin fat render and cook. You’ll achieve the highly crackly skin that is melt in your mouth good.

For example, without making these hundreds of holes in the skin, the skin would still cook but you won’t get e these microblisters which are desirable. You’d get large, more solid skin pieces which would be more solid and brittle. And have a very hard mouthfeel.

Here’s a pic of what smooth skin, non jacquard looks like when cooked.

View attachment 81448

As you can see in my actual pics, my skin is much more crackly and has the mouthfeel I was seeking. The unpoked skin can be very sharp and hard in your mouth. And can cut your gums too if you were to bite into a very stiff or firm piece. Thus I recommend the jacquard method and better render. It delivered my intended and desired results.
Thank you Brett for the thorough reply.

It makes perfect sense and now I know what a jacquard meat tenderizer is.

Never knew such a thing existed.

Cheers

I discovered that some people eschew blade-tenderized meats and I was curious as to why, so a quick search turned up the potential for bacterial contamination and that may be why those people avoid those types of meats. Anyway, I make sure to thoroughly hand wash mine and drain it well after use, for that reason. I try to avoid things with nooks and crannies for food prep...I was looking for a better way to go about this and found this solid stainless steel version. Of course, it's over twice the cost of the hollow handled version, and the grip doesn't look to be as firm.

1698866886307.png

One other thing to be aware of...these things can do a number on your cutting board.

Back