the missing 1/2 bag of Comp, or, I'm sorry: the Best Ruben Ever!!

Marone! That's just incredible. I'll bet a little sear on that kraut helped a lot - never thought of that so thanks for a great idea! Now THAT is a Reuben!

Your pics convinced me to give it a try! I picked up the corned beef during lunch and have it trimmed and soaking in water for Sunday.

Gorgeous results! I didn't get pics. Mine were very good but probably not worth the effort. I bought a small brisket (approx. 3 lbs.), it probably shrunk to approx. 1.5 lbs, and I got a grand total of 2 sandwiches (and a few samples with scraps). Yes, the sandwiches were large and very good, but I'm not sold on doing it again with a $14 brisket that will yield only 2 or 3 sandwiches (after paying a premium for fantastic rye bread). Don't get me wrong ... it was very good. I had the good fortune (yesterday) of trying a "house special" Reuben by a VERY highly acclaimed chef, and (in my opinion) the Reuben I did the night before following this recipe was MUCH better. I LOVE going to well-regarded restaurants and deciding that my version was better than theirs. You guys rock!!!

Back