The Masterbuilt 800 Gravity Feed Charcoal Beast

I don't compete but I built a UDS probably 12 years ago I think it cost me 130 bucks which included a knockoff Weber Kettle from Walmart which I used the hinged dome lid and grate from it. I found a new barrel from a local company in Atlanta think it cost me 20 bucks. They are extremely efficient and easy to dial in temp wise no foil needed under your meat nor a water pan cause of the design. I smoke ribs maybe 4 or 5 times a year, do a Turkey at Thanksgiving repaint it with high heat on the outside every 3 or 4 years can't kill the thing.
Since I have only seen vids and pics of UDS's, I was wondering how you clean the bottom? WSM's come apart and are porcelain coated.

Since I have only seen vids and pics of UDS's, I was wondering how you clean the bottom? WSM's come apart and are porcelain coated.

Don't own nor ever cooked on one, but the people who compete with drums hang meat directly over the coals. The drippings from the meat hit the coals and put off a smoke that puts a unique flavor on the meats. Similar to direct grilling, except the meats are much further away from the coals.

I have a WSM which I could use the same way.

Since I have only seen vids and pics of UDS's, I was wondering how you clean the bottom?
Don't think I have cleaned the bottom in years to be honest so my charcoal basket is made out of expanded metal 12" diameter by about 6" high and has a handle it is attached to a pizza pan which is mounted with 2 or 3 inch bolts can't remember to the basket to catch ash from the burning charcoal. I have a normal cooking grate so the meat since its roughly 22 inches from the charcoal as the grease drops it gets vaporized kind of like a Genny dropping grease onto the flavorizer bars excepts its dropping on to the burning charcoal.

When I go to cook the next time I just lift the basket out which again has the pizza pan attached shake it inside a black 55 gallon bag to get rid off the ash and any small pieces of charcoal the rest I re-use as I have said its very fuel efficient there is always charcoal left. The bottom of the drum might have some grease around the edges but really its very little.

Again I am not using the thing once a week or even once a month so your mileage may vary. I have a Performer which I use when not smoking although I bought a SNS and did my ribs in the Performer last time but there is less chasing temps using the UDS for smoking. A small shop vac if you had that much ash on the bottom should take care of that problem.

I don't compete but I built a UDS probably 12 years ago I think it cost me 130 bucks which included a knockoff Weber Kettle from Walmart which I used the hinged dome lid and grate from it. I found a new barrel from a local company in Atlanta think it cost me 20 bucks. They are extremely efficient and easy to dial in temp wise no foil needed under your meat nor a water pan cause of the design. I smoke ribs maybe 4 or 5 times a year, do a Turkey at Thanksgiving repaint it with high heat on the outside every 3 or 4 years can't kill the thing.
I don't care for the burnt fat smell/taste on smoked foods that you get from fat dripping in the coals. But all it takes is a plate of some kind to catch the drippings..... Then you're just talking about hanging ribs versus laying them out. When I hung them in my 18 WSM I had no problems with several racks at once. Hung with the thicker side down they cooked pretty darn evenly.

But I'll be honest, in my humble opinion, everything besides laying them flat is a PITA. The only reason to do anything else is because you need to cook more ribs than you have room to cook. That includes racks, rolling, etc.

350 bucks on clearance is a fantastic deal for that masterbuilt

I cooked two racks yesterday afternoon laid flat using my stacked grates.

Am I the only one that loves the smell that ribs leave in a smoker???? You can almost taste it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220829_170145102.jpg
    PXL_20220829_170145102.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20220827_004447263.jpg
    PXL_20220827_004447263.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
don't care for the burnt fat smell/taste on smoked foods that you get from fat dripping in the coals.
Interesting I have probably done 60 racks of ribs on my UDS over the years and never noticed a burnt fat smell/taste on the ribs. I always lay them flat but I am not cooking for an army and the UDS is 22" so there is plenty of real estate to lay a few racks flat.

Back