The horror!

“One of the biggest burger faux pas is to put ketchup on your burger, because ketchup is very sweet and it does not work with the beef like everybody thinks it does. It was introduced by some of the fast-food chains in the ‘50s to get kids interested in eating burgers. The original American hamburger only came with a few basic elements: mustard and pickles — and if you wanted onions, you got onions.” —George Motz

What? :D

When the waitress asks me if I need A1 or Heinz 57, I usually respond that if I need those, I should probably order something different. Basic hamburgers, hot dogs, etc...... gotta have ketchup. There's no way I'd dress OP's burger without at least trying it first.

My response is always, "I hope not." Lol. The answer to that question depends on how good or bad the steak is.... just sayin.

Unfortunately George Motz made a blanket assumption of all ketchups. I'll bet there are some ketchups available today that tend more toward savory than sweet, and there's always the homemade option. And, of course, not drowning the burger helps, too.;)

I wonder if the latest version of Hamburger America still includes that statement.

I'm still a huge fan of making my own "special sauce" which does include ketchup, but it also includes Duke's Mayonnaise so that pretty much makes up for whatever it is you add with it. The last ingredient is a relish of Clausen pickles that I chop up myself. Boojee thousand island is what that is. lol

For my fries I always liked Brook's Rich & Tangy ketchup, but that's hard to find around here, even tho it was made right here in Illini right under the worlds largest ketchup bottle.
Burgers I like hellman's, grilled onions and tomato.

Tim

I think what we are seeing, is levels of burgers. If Im going to a cook out, and the host is making grocery store burgers, on cheap rolls, Im not as particular to my toppings/condiments. But as I move up (grind my own, Prime, Wagyu, etc) Im more in it for the beef. So yeah, in a nutshell, my toppings/condiments will vary.based on burger quality. (y)

I'm still a huge fan of making my own "special sauce" which does include ketchup, but it also includes Duke's Mayonnaise so that pretty much makes up for whatever it is you add with it. The last ingredient is a relish of Clausen pickles that I chop up myself. Boojee thousand island is what that is. lol

I go with Duke's on the bottom bun, ketchup on the top.

So you buy a $90.00 Wagyu Ribeye, cook it perfectly, serve it to someone, and youre okay with them smothering it with ketchup? Thats cool, but not this guy. (y)

The day a friend starts telling me how to eat my food is the day they stop being my friend,
And if I cook for them and they enjoy it their way, then yes, I’m not such a control freak that I expect them to eat it my way. And I don’t cook or not cook for my friends based on the price of the food.

The day a friend starts telling me how to eat my food is the day they stop being my friend,

This is not about friendship.

And if I cook for them and they enjoy it their way, then yes, I’m not such a control freak that I expect them to eat it my way.

Your missing the point. I dont care how people eat, and Im not a control freak. Its my hard earned money, and I will not serve a high end cut of meat to be masked into a ketchup sandwich...its a waste of money, on an obvious underdeveloped palate. I realized he likes a ketchup sandwich, with meat as a condiment. He can have all the 99 cent burgers he wants for that.

And I don’t cook or not cook for my friends based on the price of the food.

This is not about friendship.

Back