The Game is on....

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Hi and welcome!

been busy like crazy the last 6 weeks. I come to this site daily though,and some fantastic food have been made - RESPECT!

Nuff of that.

Ok so My father in law always serve a smoked Moose heart on X-mas. He usually leaves the smoking/brining to an old dude that lives near by. But since he knows that i smoke year around he asked me if i can find any info/make it. Said and done.

I was looking at Geir´s posts,and man i cant compete with that. My F-I-L was set on smoking an untrimmed heart. Dont know why but thats the way he always get em smoked. Who am i to argue,Never ever done any thing like this. After a quick look on the web i felt like sure why not.

So here We go:

3 L Water
2 dl salt
1 tablespoon sugar

The almost 1.5kg heart was in the brine for 3 days. And then "dryed" in the fridge for 1 day.
Here it is ready for smoking:
0925.JPG

Temp: 225f
Wood: Oak/juniper
Time: Around 4h(pulled @74c internal)

Added some brined Moose Tenderloin and another peice called "saltrulle" Its from the back legs i think.
1013.JPG

The Filé was pulled @ 60c internal. And it was really good. Not near the gamie flavour i thought it would have.
1072.JPG

1102.JPG

The heart getting done.
1221.JPG

1331.JPG

We dident cut into it,it will be a suprice to taste it on X-mas. I will report back with pics ofc. Hope its as good as the filé. Everything will be carved thin and served cold. Cant wait :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time ppl!

Last edited:
Sucking up to your F-I-L eh DW?:p
Not a bad idea!;)

The heart looks better (edible) after the smoke, and the filé looks outstanding!
I'm sure the heart will be a big hit!

Ah, yes - nothing says Happy Holidays more than the gentle aroma of moose heart smoking in the Swede evening!

amazing stuff - at all looks fantastic
pbg

Great lookin' game smoke, Daniel! I might give the heart a try if it was sliced thin enough.:) That moose tenderloin looks fantastic. I think I would eat the whole loin myself!:cool:

Great pics and be sure to update when you finally slice up that moose heart.

I'm waiting for you to try this untrimmed heart, and post what you think of it!

One piece of advice- do not eat the fat. It tastes like candle wax, and is almost impossible to get out of your mouth if you chew on it. Completely disgusting! Nahh- try it anyway, but don't say I did not warn you!
I've smoked hearts with the fat intact, and also hearts with the fat removed. The taste of the meat is the same. Your heart looks very nice. I smoke my (split) hearts for three times as long, and also dry them for several weeks after smoking.

That makes my hearts another product, more like jerky, but with no sweet or chili taste. :)

Very neat. I remember Geir posting one of these before, and now I know to not try the fat! Can't wait to see this big hunk of meat sliced!

Great job, Daniel. The tenderloin looks great but I don't think I could eat that heart. Hope you guys enjoy!

I'm looking forward to the update too Daniel! Love the looks of that tenderloin, but I think I will reserve judgment on the heart ....

gives REAL meaning to the phrase EET YOUR HEART OUT!

i like chicken hearts and turkey hearts... i'll try some of that!
Looks GREAT Daniel!! I got my thumbs WAY up in the air for this one!!

*** promissed a shot of the sliced heart:

0335.JPG

Was really good actually. I have some problem with game meat,but this was a really mild flavour. And ofc cooked to perfection ;)

Some of the other food:
0384.JPG

0526.JPG

And a happy wife!(need to count those times)
1222.JPG

And ofc the Hunter himself with the kids:
167.JPG

Marry X to all members! And take care of the ones you love!

Back