The flying Weber

Rick Body

TVWBB Pro
So the other day I was going to cook some ribs at work. I have a cart with my smokers that I use for travel. The night before I rolled the cart into my truck and got everything ready for the next day. Both the 18.5's on the cart have clamps to hold the bottom and middle sections together and then are clamped to the cart. The top sections are held on by the covers, then I put one of the cover ties into the cart clamp to hold them on

Well being in a hurry the next morning, I didn't put the cover loop through the clamp. I thought "nah, the cover wont slide all the way up the smoker and blow off". Heck, I get it hung on the handle mods everytime. OOPS, bad thought

So I am halfway to work going down the highway and in my side view mirror I see this large black thing go flying in the air behind me. In the moments it took me to realize what it was I was well past it by the time I pulled over. I was on the highway with retaining walls so no way to walk back. I would have to drive a 10 mile loop to get back around to get it and I would have been late for work. I waited a few minutes to make sure I hadn't caused an accident. Seeing traffic still moving freely I headed to work. When I got there, I took the truck back around the loop and found the lid lying quietly on the side of the road, waiting for me to reclaim it.

Here was the damage

The lid was a little out of round, but considering it flew out of my truck and landed on the pavement at roughly 70 miles an hour, not too bad. A testament to the quality of weber products.

I straightened the handle and got it back round again

Then I spent the rest of the day THANKING GOD that I didn't cause an accident or worse, kill somebody. Someone was surely looking out for me that day. As Rich Dahl recently said in a post, lesson learned the hard way. NO BEING LAZY when loading stuff in the truck.

.... as a side note, the ribs came out good after all that

Wow! Glad no one was hurt. I really feel for that lid though. I can't imagine how'd I'd feel if that happened to my lid.

I'm sure glad it was just some cosmetic damage to the cooker and no damage to people or their vehicles. When I do something that causes me this kind of pain and cash I call it "sin tax". Besides some road rash I think you can still cook with it. It might need some TLC and a few spare parts but if you're not a stickler for perfection you can be up and running with a little "sin tax".

Last edited:
It's got character now.;)

On an unrelated note I heard they had some UFO sightings down your way recently, something about a small black flying saucer over the freeways. You hear anything about them?:confused:

Man, what a story. I dumped my Q100 out the back of the truck because somebody forgot to close the tailgate. :rolleyes:
I pulled over, picked it up, and carried on my way. Only to come back later and find the cooking grate. lol

It's a learning experience, to say the least.

Well we were both lucky this time Rick. I'm sure glad nobody got hurt or any damage done besides the lid.

Definitely lucky.

I was able to straighten the handle out. I just need to order the plastic parts for it. I don't think I will replace the thermo since I use a digital, although I might just for cosmetics. I decided to sell one of the 18.5's and get a 22 so I guess this will be the one I keep, and it will always have that "character"

That SUCKS...sorry man, I always look at this stuff and say "well it could have been worse".....but it still sucks.

Back