The first Smokefire assembly fail?

Dave - Unixadm

TVWBB Super Fan
Today was the big day, the Smokefire EX6 I preordered from Lowes was set to be delivered. Showed up in good condition, so I got it onto the back patio and started opening up the box. I had already reviewed the assembly instructions a few days ago online, so I proceed to tip the smoker onto its end and install the legs. That's when the fail occurred......

NO HARDWARE what-so-ever is included in any box within the carton. I checked inside of the smoker as well just to be sure, but I don't have a single screw to put anything together.

I registered the grill and submitted a support request. I'm pretty irritated at this point since I've never had this happen with any other brand. I went through everything three times and nada. Says it should be in Box B, nope.
20200213154023-1279c6c4-me.jpg

20200213154028-5ba0f289-me.jpg

20200213154106-c8032da4-me.jpg

20200213154125-df8eb37f-me.jpg

20200213154141-3e885929-me.jpg

I was going to make a 4K unboxing and assembly video for YouTube but changed my mind since the amount of daylight I had wasn't going to be great and I didn't want to set up all kinds of panel lights this afternoon. I'm glad I didn't, because I couldn't have finished and it would have ended with it full of bleeps!

I know Weber will make it right, but what a bummer! So disappointing! Someone was asleep at the wheel on that one. (n)

They already responded apologizing and said they'll try to expedite me out a hardware pack. I hope they have one to ship and I hope they can send it Saturday delivery. I love Weber, but this was a big fail.

So sorry to hear that, but I will go back with what I said earlier I think Weber rushed this and that is going to be a mistake they are going to pay for unfortunately. Hope all works out well for you. I don't think I would want to be a Weber phone rep right now.
Best to all of you who braved the pre order.

for some reason YouTube decided that it should show me an unboxing and assembly video of the smoke fire. I did watch it but I was hoping to see that content from one of our Members first.

I was going to make a 4K unboxing and assembly video for YouTube but changed my mind since the amount of daylight I had wasn't going to be great and I didn't want to set up all kinds of panel lights this afternoon. I'm glad I didn't, because I couldn't have finished and it would have ended with it full of bleeps!"

Still figuring out how some of the new form software works. That was supposed to be quoted in my previous post.

Whoah, what is all this about? Is that all superficial or did we get a nasty damaged end cap?

scratch.jpg

Whoah, what is all this about? Is that all superficial or did we get a nasty damaged end cap?

View attachment 189

Those are just where the end cap rubbed against some of the internal packaging. It seems like it's mostly dust and should clean up. I'll check it tonight and wipe it down with a wet rag. If any damage does exist, I'll follow up. I will say that wherever it shipped from, I was surprised with a few things:

1. The skid it shipped on was much smaller than the box, so the skid offered limited protection to either end of the EX6.
2. The box wasn't even strapped to the skid, so it was free to slide around.
3. There's little room for error inside of the box to prevent damage. While the left end is pretty well protected, the right end, especially the shelf and hopper would be easily damaged if the box hit anything in transit. You can see that in the quoted pic, how the hopper is right on the edge of the lower cardboard tray.

Thankfully it appears it survived without incurring any damage.

I was able to use my tap set to determine thread pitch and buy hardware. It's up and running. Assembly is pretty easy if you have a 5/32 hex bit or socket. I did it by myself with no issues, including tipping it up onto the legs.

20200214175500-a6b453f1-me.jpg

Weber never responded to me today to even know if the hardware was shipping. Now that I've got it assembled, I'll start a new thread.

I just wanted to update this fail thread. I'm still waiting on the hardware kit, though I was able to get my own hardware to get the smoker up and running. I logged my support request with Weber on the 13th and received an order confirmation for the hardware kit on the 17th. The order has not shipped, though they did specify FEDEX PRIORITY OVERNIGHT SATURDAY as the shipping option, which matched my original request made to them. I'll close this out when I receive the hardware kit just to give everyone a general idea of the time to get parts.

Back