the easiest/best prime rib recipe: montreal steak rub

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I've made a number of the prime rib recipes that chris has posted under cooking topics. This year we were really busy leading up to the holiday so I wanted something simple and easy to prep. Browsing the prime rib recipes, I came across the montreal steak steak recipe, priginally posted by bbq forum legend mike Scrutchfield. As Chris notes, the recipe is simple but yields great results. Give it a try, it was absolutely terrific:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast2.html

Meh, I'm not a fan of cooking a PR that way as I prefer to have a consistent edge to edge color instead of having a 1inch band of well done PR around the edge.

Low and slow at 250 or less gives you this

IMG_4824.jpg

I also disagree with the choice of the cut. The large end contains much more of the spinalis dorsi (rib cap) which is one of the most succulent parts of a cow.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^low and slow until 115, then a good reverse sear to 135. No rest, carve and enjoy the best PR you've ever tasted.

Meh, I'm not a fan of cooking a PR that way as I prefer to have a consistent edge to edge color instead of having a 1inch band of well done PR around the edge.

I also disagree with the choice of the cut. The large end contains much more of the spinalis dorsi (rib cap) which is one of the most succulent parts of a cow.

dave, that looks fantastic! The montreal recipe works well for my family as one of my kids prefers well done while the rest of us like medium rare. Actually, one of my jobs working my way through college was waiting tables at a top steak house. Saturday night was prime rib (!) night for the staff and I noticed a couple of the old-timers always asked for a rib end. I decided to try it and while well-done, it was beautifully marbled, full of spice and caramelized fat. The well-done ends of this recipe bring to mind those delicious rib-ends.

I don't know much about the difference between cuts, I just bought whatever was out for the $5.99/lb sale at our local supermarket.

Last edited:
dave, that looks fantastic! The montreal recipe works well for my family as one of my kids prefers well done while the rest of us like medium rare. Actually, one of my jobs working my way through college was waiting tables at a top steak house. Saturday night was prime rib (!) night for the staff and I noticed a couple of the old-timers always asked for a rib end. I decided to try it and while well-done, it was beautifully marbled, full of spice and caramelized fat. The well-done ends of this recipe bring to mind those delicious rib-ends.

I don't know much about the difference between cuts, I just bought whatever was out for the $5.99/lb sale at our local supermarket.

Jeff, it's all good. Notice that I didn't say that the method was "wrong", just that I preferred the low and slow approach. To each their own and all that stuff. As for end cuts, I love them as well. Basically, you get a lot more of the seasoning as the entire surface of one side will be coated.

When I do a PR, for those that want theirs more well done, I'll put their slices in a bath of warm au jus to bring it to a higher temp.

As for the cuts, most whole ribeyes that you'll find in the supermarket have two main muscles. The longissimus dorsi and the spinalis dorsi. The longissimus is the "eye" of the ribeye and the spinalis is the cap of the ribeye.

ribeye-2.jpg

The whole ribeye comes from the rib primal. In front of it is the chuck primal and behind it is the short loin primal, which is where the NY Strip comes from.

511px-US_Beef_cuts_svg.png

The large end of the whole ribeye sits right next to the chuck, while the small end sits right next to the short loin. The spinalis dorsi changes in size as you move from one end of the whole ribeye to the other. So, when you cut a whole ribeye, there will be variation between each steak as to how much of the spinalis dorsi is present.

A ribeye cut from the "small end" or "first cut" might look like this:

BFSPRS-2.jpg

Notice that it has just a thin little sliver of the spinalis dorsi on the top left

A ribeye cut from the "large end" or "second cut" of the same ribeye roast might look like this:

669-4.jpg

Roughly 1/3'rd of that ribeye is the spinalis dorsi.

Which one you should look for depends on personal tastes. When "ribeye roasts" are on sale for $5.99 or whatever, generally you can choose which end of the ribeye the roast is from. You can do this either by looking at ones that are already wrapped and on trays and choosing yourself, or by talking to the butcher and telling him what you want. IF he doesn't understand "first cut" and "second cut", then ask if "small end / large end" makes sense for him. If that doesn't work, tell him you want the end closest to the chuck (large end) or closest to the short loin / NY Strip (small end). If that doesn't work, find someone else to ask :D

Dave,

thanks for the fantastic post on cut, I'll definitely pay attention to what I'm buying in the future. I do recall our local supermarket was charging an additional $1.40/lb for 2nd cut. I know you've spent a lot of time on this thread, if you have a chance, some questions for you:

- I recall the chef at the restaurant I worked claimed cooking on the bone added flavor and I noticed your picture is of a boneless ribeye. Did you purchase it boneless or cut if off the bone before or after cooking? Do you have a preference?
- Obviously, the roast I purchased was not prime. Do you find there's a big difference btw choice and prime?
- I'm assuming you look at cut for grilled ribeye as well?

Chris, if you're still reading this thread, IMO it would be great to get Dave's post into a sticky unless you think it's covered somewhere else.

I'm with Dave and A Cleland 100%...low and slow with a little maple or pecan! then a blast reverse sear.
I'll never go back.
Just one more thing I can never order at a restaurant again because this site has taught me well.
Thanks Chris!!

DaveW,
That was one of (if not the best) post I have ever seen in any of the BBQ/cooking forums.
Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Looking forward to your new pictures Chris.
BTW thanks for continuing this entire website, it is truly a great resource.

Thanks for the kind words. For the record, that beautiful PR I posted showing what a low and slow PR looks like wasn't mine (and I didn't mean to imply that it was). I found it on Google image search long ago. Turns out that it was cooked by someone over at BBQ Brethren, though I don't remember who it was. I used it just because it so perfectly demonstrates what I was talking about.

Last edited:
Dave,

thanks for the fantastic post on cut, I'll definitely pay attention to what I'm buying in the future. I do recall our local supermarket was charging an additional $1.40/lb for 2nd cut. I know you've spent a lot of time on this thread, if you have a chance, some questions for you:

- I recall the chef at the restaurant I worked claimed cooking on the bone added flavor and I noticed your picture is of a boneless ribeye. Did you purchase it boneless or cut if off the bone before or after cooking? Do you have a preference?
- Obviously, the roast I purchased was not prime. Do you find there's a big difference btw choice and prime?
- I'm assuming you look at cut for grilled ribeye as well?

Chris, if you're still reading this thread, IMO it would be great to get Dave's post into a sticky unless you think it's covered somewhere else.

You're welcome Jeff. I've never seen a butcher charging more for 2nd cut. Then again, I get most my meats at the grocery store instead of an actual butcher shop. Perhaps that has something to do with it :)

To your questions:

1.) I used to believe that cooking bone in gave meat more flavor, but have changed my mind on that. The "science" indicates that there's absolutely no noticeable flavor transfer and I haven't found any reason to argue otherwise. That said, there are some delicious little bits and morsels where the meat connects to the bone, so there are some benefits. When it comes to cooking a PR, I always go boneless. Either I buy them that way, or the bones will be cut off before cooking. This allows me to actually season the bottom of the roast and to also get some smoke penetration to the bottom.

2.) Is there a big difference between Choice and Prime. On average, yes, Prime is more tender and has more flavor as it has more fat marbled through it, and that is where the flavor comes from. That said, both Choice and Prime have ranges. So, it's possible that a Choice steak might be almost as well marbled as a Prime steak in the same butcher case. Think of it like grades in school. Prime would be a very high A, say 96 to 100. Choice would be a lower A, say 90 to 95. You might get a choice steak that's a 95 and a Prime steak that's a 96. Is it worth the price difference for that 1 extra point ? Personally, while there is a difference, with the amount of beef I eat each year, it's not worth the price for me to buy Prime.

3.) Oh yes, I definitely look at the cut for a grilled Ribeye. I also look at the marbling within the muscle. As stated in answer #2, Choice beef covers a range. I forget how many subcategories there are of "Choice", but you usually won't see any mention of them in a retail grocery setting. The beef will just be labeled "Choice". BTW, marbling should not be confused with concentrated fat. Just because a ribeye has thick concentrations of fat doesn't mean it's well marbled. And just because you see hardly any concentrated fat doesn't mean it isn't well marbled. Ideally, I like to try and find ribeyes that have a large portion of the spinalis, beautiful marbling (flecks of white within the muscle fibers) and as little concentrated fat as possible.

This thread is so informative that i dont know what to do now!! haha. I have a 10 LB bone in prime rib and was planning on cooking it in the WSM and cooking at around 350 the entire time. With this method i was pretty confident it would take from three to four hours to reach medium rare. After doing some more reading on here and investigating im wondering if i want to cook it at 225-250 and finishing it in the oven at 500. The problem is i have no idea how long this will take and i dont want to have a bunch of grumpy hungry people on my hands. I will also be cooking with outside temps in the teens. This will be my first time doing a prime rib roast any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

Adam, I've done it both ways, believe me when I say I'll never go back to high heat for the entire cook.
225-250 until just shy of rare, then reverse sear, or go a bit longer for medium rare, I like mine just past rare.
What I do for the sear is just take the middle of the WSM off, put a grate in the bottom, slap the meat on, put the lid on.

Last edited:

Back