The "Duchess Cooker" - An All aluminum kettle made by maker of PK Grills

Sorry I couldn't get a reply to you sooner. But, yes, I was thinking mine was 15". I believe that is the correct size for a Medium Big Green Egg main grate.

I am very glad for you that you got one that works well! Will look forward to seeing your Duchess in action. I have been chatting with Mark Baron. He has already set up the Duchess grate as a "special order" item that you an order from his website. But, it is set up for the single purchase price of $150 plus shipping.

When my tax season winds down, I am going to make one last push on the PK and Duchess Facebook groups - and here on TVWBB as well - to see if we can at least get to 3, preferably 5. I didn't get a straight answer from Mark about making 3 or 5 at the lower price but then shipping to different buyers (including their shipping, of course). I am not going to ask again unless we get more interest.

If we don't get any more takers, then I guess we can each decide if we want to shell out the $150, plus shipping for a one-off. I am working on buying one from him for my "single-vent" small size Original. I couldn't get any serious response on the PK group for going in on this one. The "new" PK company used to offer a nickel chrome replacement grate for this grill but no longer does. I don't think they are real hip on promoting saving the really old PKs. I suppose understandably they want to sell you a NEW PK. They are a very good company, though, and deserve credit for bringing back the "Original" PK and developing the larger 360 model.
Jon, tried the BGE cast grate but it was 14.75 and a bit too big to fit down onto the bottom tabs. I found this on Amazon and ordered it due to the legs and it is 13.8 in

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KCWCF8/?tag=tvwb-20

I have a Dutchess posted for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266362901875030

This is the first
one I have owned. Its been posted for a couple of
days, with absolutely no interest. I expect to be
discounting it soon. Feel free to suggest a reasonable
selling price if you have have any knowledge of
previous sales.
That price is too low in my opinion. Take it off the market until you can get a better understanding of the market value.

Attachments

• 820DF189-908A-4CC9-A600-FE46263AC825.jpeg
    820DF189-908A-4CC9-A600-FE46263AC825.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 068F7790-4B2F-42C0-9796-1AD22005CC61.jpeg
    068F7790-4B2F-42C0-9796-1AD22005CC61.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 12
  • C717A4A1-9E5B-4BE4-B3A3-546AF69EEDDA.jpeg
    C717A4A1-9E5B-4BE4-B3A3-546AF69EEDDA.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 12
I have a Dutchess posted for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266362901875030

This is the first
one I have owned. Its been posted for a couple of
days, with absolutely no interest. I expect to be
discounting it soon. Feel free to suggest a reasonable
selling price if you have have any knowledge of
previous sales.
I saw your post earlier today Dave and your recent FB post. If this had been closer, I would have loved to add it to the mix. Shipping from MO to CA was the challenge. I hope to find one closer to me in the future. Hopefully the new owner is one that will give it lots of great grill time in the future years.

Jon, tried the BGE cast grate but it was 14.75 and a bit too big to fit down onto the bottom tabs. I found this on Amazon and ordered it due to the legs and it is 13.8 in

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KCWCF8/?tag=tvwb-20
I haven't found a good solution for the 14-inch level. Thankfully I already have a (well worn) grate for that level. for the 15-inch level, I purchased this one and it is exactly 15 inches. It fits like a glove. I have to use a grate lifter from BGE to get it out :). I don't think I'll even look for the 16-inch level as that seems a bit too close to the cooking grate for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083QPVCTT/?tag=tvwb-20

I haven't found a good solution for the 14-inch level. Thankfully I already have a (well worn) grate for that level. for the 15-inch level, I purchased this one and it is exactly 15 inches. It fits like a glove. I have to use a grate lifter from BGE to get it out :). I don't think I'll even look for the 16-inch level as that seems a bit too close to the cooking grate for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083QPVCTT/?tag=tvwb-20
I ordered this and it's working. 13.8 covers the span and the little legs get it just above the vents

1617819793045.png

A small update. In addition to working with Mark Baron of Killa Grilla on a Duchess grate, I also worked with him to make one for my late 60s early 70s "One-vent" PK Original. This grill looks like the Original that PK sells now, but besides having only one upper vent it is also a notch smaller. Thus, you can't use the grates the new PK company sells. They actually used to sell nickel chrome replacements for my smaller grill but must have sold out and no longer do. Anyway, I couldn't get any supporters on that grate, so I went ahead and paid the high price and ordered one from Mark for myself. I got a message today that it is being shipped.

When my grate arrives, I will post pictures here so you all can see close-ups of Mark's workmanship.

As far as the Duchess grate, Mark took my dimensions and has added it to his custom list. $150. He did say that if I could still muster a group order he could reduce that price. But, if you just want to go ahead, at least he is ready to take your order. I can guarantee it will make a whole new grill out of your Duchess and, with reasonable care, last you for many years. Thick 304 stainless rods give you excellent sear marks, but the design is the same as the original with a flip-up side so you can add fuel for long low and slow cooks. With real, high quality stainless rust is no longer an issue! Finally, grates worthy of the Duchess's lifetime lasting aluminum construction.

A small update. In addition to working with Mark Baron of Killa Grilla on a Duchess grate, I also worked with him to make one for my late 60s early 70s "One-vent" PK Original. This grill looks like the Original that PK sells now, but besides having only one upper vent it is also a notch smaller. Thus, you can't use the grates the new PK company sells. They actually used to sell nickel chrome replacements for my smaller grill but must have sold out and no longer do. Anyway, I couldn't get any supporters on that grate, so I went ahead and paid the high price and ordered one from Mark for myself. I got a message today that it is being shipped.

When my grate arrives, I will post pictures here so you all can see close-ups of Mark's workmanship.

As far as the Duchess grate, Mark took my dimensions and has added it to his custom list. $150. He did say that if I could still muster a group order he could reduce that price. But, if you just want to go ahead, at least he is ready to take your order. I can guarantee it will make a whole new grill out of your Duchess and, with reasonable care, last you for many years. Thick 304 stainless rods give you excellent sear marks, but the design is the same as the original with a flip-up side so you can add fuel for long low and slow cooks. With real, high quality stainless rust is no longer an issue! Finally, grates worthy of the Duchess's lifetime lasting aluminum construction.
I can vouch for the extremely high quality of Marks grates having put them on my WSM 22. Wish I could put them on everything I have.

Hi everyone. I've been a member here, for while, due to my eternally searching for info on the Dutchess Cooker. I know that some members here, have found & joined the Facebook group I created: Dutchess Cooker Sputniks If not feel free to look us up and request membership. Btw, I recently emailed PK Grills in Little Rock, re the Dutchess, but they seem resolute in their continued non-interest re the beloved Dutchess Cooker. Sad, but.....it's their loss. I look forward to accepting your membership requests! Best regards, Karen

Hi everyone. I've been a member here, for while, due to my eternally searching for info on the Dutchess Cooker. I know that some members here, have found & joined the Facebook group I created: Dutchess Cooker Sputniks If not feel free to look us up and request membership. Btw, I recently emailed PK Grills in Little Rock, re the Dutchess, but they seem resolute in their continued non-interest re the beloved Dutchess Cooker. Sad, but.....it's their loss. I look forward to accepting your membership requests! Best regards, Karen
Karen I got off Facebook a couple years ago due to all the idiots who live on that platform. I hate Not being able to join your Sputnik group. I would love to share my pics of a Dutchess I saved and now have completely restored it.

I'm still interested in a group purchase if we can get enough people.

I let Jon know that I'm in on the purchase as well. How many does that make now ready to buy? Oh and I did find a Duchess locally although not pristine but very workable.

Why does everything have to be connected to and through Facebook!? I would participate but not there. This forum doesn't require it and thankfully so glad. Karen set your club site free from the shackles of bondage and let all enjoy.

I did receive my stainless grate from Mark Baron of Killa Grilla for the older, "one vent" PK Original. Mark, as always, did a fantastic job. It fits perfectly and is so impressive compared to the original. Although a small grate it weighs in well over 5 pounds - more than double the original. Perfect flip-up top, so you can use it for low and slow bbq, while those thick bars will put some great sear marks for high heat grilling.

Here are some pictures so you can see. The Duchess grate will have the same construction and flip-up table, just round instead of rounded corner rectangle:

IMG_6590.jpeg

IMG_6591.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

Look at how Mark's work stacks up next to the original grate:

IMG_6593.jpeg

Mark has already listed the Duchess grate as a special custom order item. Price is steep at $150 + shipping, but it would be the last grate your Duchess would need for many years to come. Next month when my extended tax season finally winds down, I will reach out to everyone who has expressed interest in going in on a group order. If we can get five or more, the price will be considerably less. Stay tuned!

Hello everyone, new member here. I picked up a Dutchess-style cooker today with “Gasgrills by ARKLA” on top instead of “The Dutchess Cooker.” As far as I can tell it’s exactly the same, save the gas burner holes in the bottom center. It was sold by ARKLA as a gas grill, bolted to the base, with a single pole stand that was mounted in the ground. Check it out. I’ve only seen one other Gasgrills by ARKLA Dutchess-style cooker ever.

Attachments

• 9CF5CA32-4F68-41F0-8AA9-01728C43AFB7.jpeg
    9CF5CA32-4F68-41F0-8AA9-01728C43AFB7.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2FECC062-9BBD-4E64-BCED-259EF08B13E8.jpeg
    2FECC062-9BBD-4E64-BCED-259EF08B13E8.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F4659A41-EE5B-43F4-AB8F-968258A21C53.jpeg
    F4659A41-EE5B-43F4-AB8F-968258A21C53.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 0FF5CF0D-A7C8-4344-9E63-8ADF584F6F55.jpeg
    0FF5CF0D-A7C8-4344-9E63-8ADF584F6F55.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 8
  • B6F68378-3F9E-4F2A-93E3-28B797174EBD.jpeg
    B6F68378-3F9E-4F2A-93E3-28B797174EBD.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 8
  • D4EC5511-E9E6-450E-A04B-2A5E4F04FF5F.jpeg
    D4EC5511-E9E6-450E-A04B-2A5E4F04FF5F.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 8
  • 59722EE3-C28D-4564-9CA0-4238D05FA6D6.jpeg
    59722EE3-C28D-4564-9CA0-4238D05FA6D6.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1B354EA8-BF73-4878-830E-E45A9AD778A4.jpeg
    1B354EA8-BF73-4878-830E-E45A9AD778A4.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
I, too, am in need of a new grill grate. I know Jon Tofte has been seeking interested buyers for a custom Killa Grilla grate for the Dutchess. I have counted each person who has expressed an interest here on the forum and also in the Facebook groups. I have 10 total. I know that Jon Tofte is super busy during tax season so I’m gonna contact Mark at Killa Grilla tomorrow and see what 10 buyers would bring the price down to. I’ll update everyone.

Hello everyone, new member here. I picked up a Dutchess-style cooker today with “Gasgrills by ARKLA” on top instead of “The Dutchess Cooker.” As far as I can tell it’s exactly the same, save the gas burner holes in the bottom center. It was sold by ARKLA as a gas grill, bolted to the base, with a single pole stand that was mounted in the ground. Check it out. I’ve only seen one other Gasgrills by ARKLA Dutchess-style cooker ever.
Nice find! Certainly rare. Looks like an exact copy of the Dutchess. Original coal grate too! I just fabricated my coal grate to include guards for the bottom vents. I also made a liner for the bottom of the unit to prevent anymore deterioration. Sheet metal basically. Works great. Also note the felt on the edge of the lid which prevents air leaks during cooking. IMG_0906[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0907[1].JPG
    IMG_0907[1].JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I, too, am in need of a new grill grate. I know Jon Tofte has been seeking interested buyers for a custom Killa Grilla grate for the Dutchess. I have counted each person who has expressed an interest here on the forum and also in the Facebook groups. I have 10 total. I know that Jon Tofte is super busy during tax season so I’m gonna contact Mark at Killa Grilla tomorrow and see what 10 buyers would bring the price down to. I’ll update everyone.
Blake, I would be extremely happy for you to take the mantle on this. Mark already has the measurements so it is really a question of logistics to get it set up with him. I didn’t want to get in the middle of the money part, so we need to know how we can each send him the negotiated price plus our respective shipping (which will be different depending on location). I can’t quarterback this thing for at least a month, but if you can get the method lined up with Mark, I am in for one for me.
Let us know what we need to do.
THANKS!!!
Jon

Back