The "Duchess Cooker" - An All aluminum kettle made by maker of PK Grills

KellyCaudle

Sorry I couldn't get a reply to you sooner. But, yes, I was thinking mine was 15". I believe that is the correct size for a Medium Big Green Egg main grate.

I am very glad for you that you got one that works well! Will look forward to seeing your Duchess in action. I have been chatting with Mark Baron. He has already set up the Duchess grate as a "special order" item that you an order from his website. But, it is set up for the single purchase price of $150 plus shipping.

When my tax season winds down, I am going to make one last push on the PK and Duchess Facebook groups - and here on TVWBB as well - to see if we can at least get to 3, preferably 5. I didn't get a straight answer from Mark about making 3 or 5 at the lower price but then shipping to different buyers (including their shipping, of course). I am not going to ask again unless we get more interest.

If we don't get any more takers, then I guess we can each decide if we want to shell out the $150, plus shipping for a one-off. I am working on buying one from him for my "single-vent" small size Original. I couldn't get any serious response on the PK group for going in on this one. The "new" PK company used to offer a nickel chrome replacement grate for this grill but no longer does. I don't think they are real hip on promoting saving the really old PKs. I suppose understandably they want to sell you a NEW PK. They are a very good company, though, and deserve credit for bringing back the "Original" PK and developing the larger 360 model.
Jon, tried the BGE cast grate but it was 14.75 and a bit too big to fit down onto the bottom tabs. I found this on Amazon and ordered it due to the legs and it is 13.8 in

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KCWCF8/?tag=tvwb-20

KellyCaudle

I have a Dutchess posted for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266362901875030

This is the first
one I have owned. Its been posted for a couple of
days, with absolutely no interest. I expect to be
discounting it soon. Feel free to suggest a reasonable
selling price if you have have any knowledge of
previous sales.
That price is too low in my opinion. Take it off the market until you can get a better understanding of the market value.

KellyCaudle

Attachments

• 820DF189-908A-4CC9-A600-FE46263AC825.jpeg
    820DF189-908A-4CC9-A600-FE46263AC825.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 068F7790-4B2F-42C0-9796-1AD22005CC61.jpeg
    068F7790-4B2F-42C0-9796-1AD22005CC61.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 9
  • C717A4A1-9E5B-4BE4-B3A3-546AF69EEDDA.jpeg
    C717A4A1-9E5B-4BE4-B3A3-546AF69EEDDA.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 9

Bill Bauernfeind

TVWBB Member
I have a Dutchess posted for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266362901875030

This is the first
one I have owned. Its been posted for a couple of
days, with absolutely no interest. I expect to be
discounting it soon. Feel free to suggest a reasonable
selling price if you have have any knowledge of
previous sales.
I saw your post earlier today Dave and your recent FB post. If this had been closer, I would have loved to add it to the mix. Shipping from MO to CA was the challenge. I hope to find one closer to me in the future. Hopefully the new owner is one that will give it lots of great grill time in the future years.

Stephen Riffe

Jon, tried the BGE cast grate but it was 14.75 and a bit too big to fit down onto the bottom tabs. I found this on Amazon and ordered it due to the legs and it is 13.8 in

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KCWCF8/?tag=tvwb-20
I haven't found a good solution for the 14-inch level. Thankfully I already have a (well worn) grate for that level. for the 15-inch level, I purchased this one and it is exactly 15 inches. It fits like a glove. I have to use a grate lifter from BGE to get it out :). I don't think I'll even look for the 16-inch level as that seems a bit too close to the cooking grate for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083QPVCTT/?tag=tvwb-20

KellyCaudle

I haven't found a good solution for the 14-inch level. Thankfully I already have a (well worn) grate for that level. for the 15-inch level, I purchased this one and it is exactly 15 inches. It fits like a glove. I have to use a grate lifter from BGE to get it out :). I don't think I'll even look for the 16-inch level as that seems a bit too close to the cooking grate for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083QPVCTT/?tag=tvwb-20
I ordered this and it's working. 13.8 covers the span and the little legs get it just above the vents

1617819793045.png

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Hall of Fame
A small update. In addition to working with Mark Baron of Killa Grilla on a Duchess grate, I also worked with him to make one for my late 60s early 70s "One-vent" PK Original. This grill looks like the Original that PK sells now, but besides having only one upper vent it is also a notch smaller. Thus, you can't use the grates the new PK company sells. They actually used to sell nickel chrome replacements for my smaller grill but must have sold out and no longer do. Anyway, I couldn't get any supporters on that grate, so I went ahead and paid the high price and ordered one from Mark for myself. I got a message today that it is being shipped.

When my grate arrives, I will post pictures here so you all can see close-ups of Mark's workmanship.

As far as the Duchess grate, Mark took my dimensions and has added it to his custom list. $150. He did say that if I could still muster a group order he could reduce that price. But, if you just want to go ahead, at least he is ready to take your order. I can guarantee it will make a whole new grill out of your Duchess and, with reasonable care, last you for many years. Thick 304 stainless rods give you excellent sear marks, but the design is the same as the original with a flip-up side so you can add fuel for long low and slow cooks. With real, high quality stainless rust is no longer an issue! Finally, grates worthy of the Duchess's lifetime lasting aluminum construction.

Mike - LA

A small update. In addition to working with Mark Baron of Killa Grilla on a Duchess grate, I also worked with him to make one for my late 60s early 70s "One-vent" PK Original. This grill looks like the Original that PK sells now, but besides having only one upper vent it is also a notch smaller. Thus, you can't use the grates the new PK company sells. They actually used to sell nickel chrome replacements for my smaller grill but must have sold out and no longer do. Anyway, I couldn't get any supporters on that grate, so I went ahead and paid the high price and ordered one from Mark for myself. I got a message today that it is being shipped.

When my grate arrives, I will post pictures here so you all can see close-ups of Mark's workmanship.

As far as the Duchess grate, Mark took my dimensions and has added it to his custom list. $150. He did say that if I could still muster a group order he could reduce that price. But, if you just want to go ahead, at least he is ready to take your order. I can guarantee it will make a whole new grill out of your Duchess and, with reasonable care, last you for many years. Thick 304 stainless rods give you excellent sear marks, but the design is the same as the original with a flip-up side so you can add fuel for long low and slow cooks. With real, high quality stainless rust is no longer an issue! Finally, grates worthy of the Duchess's lifetime lasting aluminum construction.
I can vouch for the extremely high quality of Marks grates having put them on my WSM 22. Wish I could put them on everything I have.