The "Duchess Cooker" - An All aluminum kettle made by maker of PK Grills

I was really lusting over the PK Go but settled on the Weber Go-Anywhere. They have almost the same dimensions and can do almost the same things. I know the WGA will not last forever like the PK, but used for $15.....

I was really lusting over the PK Go but settled on the Weber Go-Anywhere. They have almost the same dimensions and can do almost the same things. I know the WGA will not last forever like the PK, but used for $15.....
I hadn't done the math and am surprised that the Go-Anywhere is that close to the new PK. The cast aluminum is nice and the venting is set up better on the PK, if you think you are doing to try and do some indirect cooking. But really, these are mainly for doing burgers, dogs and maybe steaks on a campout or visit to a park/beach. I think you will do just fine (and have $ leftover to buy some good stuff to cook :cool: !)

Jon,
There are dozens of Youtube vids of people doing crazy stuff with the WGA. Long smoking cooks using little square pizza stones, or metal for diffusers (they sell one on Amazon). 6" risers, rotisseries, etc. Some of the products in Germany are something else.

UPDATE:

I have been working with Mark Baron of Killa Grilla. The basic deal is that if we can get five of us to go in, the price of a high quality, THICK 304 stainless grate with the same flip-up side as the original would be $100 plus shipping. I am trying to solicit serious interest to see if this can happen. I posted more on the Buy/Sell/Trade section. Message me if you have questions or are seriously interested.

UPDATE:

I have been working with Mark Baron of Killa Grilla. The basic deal is that if we can get five of us to go in, the price of a high quality, THICK 304 stainless grate with the same flip-up side as the original would be $100 plus shipping. I am trying to solicit serious interest to see if this can happen. I posted more on the Buy/Sell/Trade section. Message me if you have questions or are seriously interested.
Good luck Jon. Hope you find some takers. With a rare grill like that might take some time

Just purchased a Dutchess on ebay. Appreciate all the good info here. Looking for the purpose of the tabs on the side of the grill. Are there accessories that attach to the grill using these tabs? Thank you all in advance.

Stephen,
Those are for side tables. At least some of these had one or even two aluminum side tables that screwed into those tabs. They are almost always gone. These are NOT mine but sure wish they were!

IMG_0132(1).JPG

Stephen,
Those are for side tables. At least some of these had one or even two aluminum side tables that screwed into those tabs. They are almost always gone. These are NOT mine but sure wish they were!

View attachment 24014
Many thanks! I've been looking at the Dutchess for a couple of years and have never seen an image like the one above. Looks like that would have to be fabricated. Something else to look forward to in the future.

Stephen,
Definitely not something you are likely to find anymore. I have been thinking about making a side table from a wood cutting board. Will still have to fabricate a metal clip and maybe an insulator to attach it. The original thin aluminum trays had support bars underneath reaching out from where they were screwed into the grill.

Wow, well $10 was a steal and a half! That would drive my friends at the FB PK Grills group crazy! Yours even still had the bottom vents present!

I was actually working on mine yesterday. Here are a couple thoughts:

This grill is supposed to have a charcoal grate that leaves a space for airflow. It is also important because putting charcoal right on the cast aluminum bottom can lead to burn-through. The original charcoal grate was made of cast iron. I wonder if that was on purpose to increase radiant heat. It also had two round shields to try and protect the two vents from ashes. The PK vents are completely separated (good!) so you can open one (under charcoal on one side) and close the other (under the food with no charcoal below) to do indirect bbq.

View attachment 3271

The good news about the grate is that you can buy a regular grill grate meant for the medium sized Big Green Egg which will fit perfectly. You can buy stainless, but I went with cast iron to be closer to original. I also added two cast iron coasters/trivets to substitute for the original grate's shields:

View attachment 3276

My grill didn't have the bottom vents. You are right that the "new" PK company isn't currently interested in producing or carrying parts for the Duchess. They did refer me to someone who makes stainless replacements, though. I primed the outside side of his nice vent covers and then painted with ulra high heat silver to make them look closer to original. (No paint on the side facing in to the grill!)

View attachment 3283

For the top cooking grate, I am where you are. The old nickel steel is hard to make decent after years of neglect, and it is not a regular size. You can buy a custom carbon steel grate from The Burn Shop:

I am planning on contacting Mark Barron of Killa Grilla about making a stainless steel replacement with the same fold-up side as the original. I am hoping he will be interested and look at this as a new product not a one-off. Mark's thick stainless will make fine grill marks for high heat, but that design lets you switch to indirect low and slow as well.

Here is a picture of the outside of mine after cleaning up. Not too bad for a grill as old as me (60:rolleyes:). I opted to only clean the old powder coated finish. I could have spray painted, but I will just wait and see if someday I can get the powder coating redone. It is a much better finish than you can get from rattle can paint:

View attachment 3281

Once I get my current top grate at least adequate to cook on, I am going to try this thing out! I hope to do a comparison between the PK Duchess and a Weber 18" kettle.

Wow, well $10 was a steal and a half! That would drive my friends at the FB PK Grills group crazy! Yours even still had the bottom vents present!

I was actually working on mine yesterday. Here are a couple thoughts:

This grill is supposed to have a charcoal grate that leaves a space for airflow. It is also important because putting charcoal right on the cast aluminum bottom can lead to burn-through. The original charcoal grate was made of cast iron. I wonder if that was on purpose to increase radiant heat. It also had two round shields to try and protect the two vents from ashes. The PK vents are completely separated (good!) so you can open one (under charcoal on one side) and close the other (under the food with no charcoal below) to do indirect bbq.

View attachment 3271

The good news about the grate is that you can buy a regular grill grate meant for the medium sized Big Green Egg which will fit perfectly. You can buy stainless, but I went with cast iron to be closer to original. I also added two cast iron coasters/trivets to substitute for the original grate's shields:

View attachment 3276

My grill didn't have the bottom vents. You are right that the "new" PK company isn't currently interested in producing or carrying parts for the Duchess. They did refer me to someone who makes stainless replacements, though. I primed the outside side of his nice vent covers and then painted with ulra high heat silver to make them look closer to original. (No paint on the side facing in to the grill!)

View attachment 3283

For the top cooking grate, I am where you are. The old nickel steel is hard to make decent after years of neglect, and it is not a regular size. You can buy a custom carbon steel grate from The Burn Shop:

I am planning on contacting Mark Barron of Killa Grilla about making a stainless steel replacement with the same fold-up side as the original. I am hoping he will be interested and look at this as a new product not a one-off. Mark's thick stainless will make fine grill marks for high heat, but that design lets you switch to indirect low and slow as well.

Here is a picture of the outside of mine after cleaning up. Not too bad for a grill as old as me (60:rolleyes:). I opted to only clean the old powder coated finish. I could have spray painted, but I will just wait and see if someday I can get the powder coating redone. It is a much better finish than you can get from rattle can paint:

View attachment 3281

Once I get my current top grate at least adequate to cook on, I am going to try this thing out! I hope to do a comparison between the PK Duchess and a Weber 18" kettle.
I just purchased a Dutchess. The grate that came with it is 14 inches. There are notches for 14, 15, and 16 inches. I'm curious if you know the diameter of the original charcoal grate?

Stephen I was messaging the seller when you bought it. If you find it’s not what you want I’d like to have a chance. You won’t lose any money on it👌

I just purchased a Dutchess. The grate that came with it is 14 inches. There are notches for 14, 15, and 16 inches. I'm curious if you know the diameter of the original charcoal grate?
Stephen,
The original grate with a flip-up side was 16 3/4" wide. So far I haven't gotten any real traction on the idea of others going in with me on getting a stainless replacement grate for this grill. After my tax season is over on April 15, I hope to order one for myself (at a higher price) from Mark Baron/KillaGrilla. I do have the original grate which I treated with Evaporust and did my best to clean up. The nickel chrome is gone from much of the grate, so you have to keep it seasoned a like you would cast iron. It has rough texture accordingly. I am thinking of selling it off cheap (and unused since I restored it) once I get my stainless one from Mark. If you - or anyone else - have interest, let me know. At least it is an ORIGINAL Duchess grate and the flip-up works fine. The only inexpensive option out there that I know of is a thin, not flip-up, 16.75" grate that someone retails.

The smallest notch - the 14 inch grate - is your charcoal grate. Most of the originals came with a cast iron one that had two solid circles to prevent ash from falling into the bottom vents.

Stephen I was messaging the seller when you bought it. If you find it’s not what you want I’d like to have a chance. You won’t lose any money on it👌
I probably won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. It is in great shape. The only thing really missing is the original charcoal grate. I absolutely love it. So cool to be cooking on such a well preserved piece of history. I sincerely hope you find a nice one. I had to pay up for this one (as you know). I live in Virginia and honestly don't see old PK Grills, like people who live in the south.

Back