The Cook's Illustrated Recipe Index

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Update 4/14/20: I've updated the spreadsheet through the May/June 2020 issue.

--

The Cook's Illustrated Magazine Recipe Index

In this day and age when everything is found using a Google search, the usefulness of an recipe index spreadsheet like this one may not be obvious. But I think it's pretty cool, and so much effort has gone into the creation and maintenance of it over the years that I want to see it carry on.

You can find the origins of this Excel spreadsheet at: https://sites.google.com/site/hollyshouseofhamcheese/other-projects/the-cook-s-illustrated-index

It is but a small part of a recipe website called Holly's House of Ham and Cheese operated by Holly Hinman. Although the site is still up and running, it does not appear to be updated anymore.

The last update to the recipe index spreadsheet was 2014. I spent a few days bringing the spreadsheet up to date through Jan/Feb 2019 and sent the revision to Holly's email address. I got no response. So I've decided to host a copy here so that people can get the updated version. My hope is that Holly will check her email and update the copy on her website with the file I sent.

For fear that her whole site goes down one day, including her comments about the origin of the index, I'm including a screenshot of her comments below.

Last edited:

Allen Bales

TVWBB Member
This represents a lot of work for several people. Not being a subscriber to Cook's Illustrated I have not found these recipes on their website. Is there a place on the internet that has these recipes and tutorials?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
This represents a lot of work for several people. Not being a subscriber to Cook's Illustrated I have not found these recipes on their website. Is there a place on the internet that has these recipes and tutorials?
It's possible that some of these recipes have been published by fans, but I don't think there's a coordinated effort by anyone to publish all of them. I don't know the extent to which CI has gone back and published early recipes on their subscription website.

David Holton

In this day and age when everything is found using a Google search, the usefulness of an recipe index spreadsheet like this one may not be obvious. But I think it's pretty cool, and so much effort has gone into the creation and maintenance of it over the years that I want to see it carry on.

You can find the origins of this Excel spreadsheet at: https://sites.google.com/site/hollyshouseofhamcheese/other-projects/the-cook-s-illustrated-index

It is but a small part of a recipe website called Holly's House of Ham and Cheese operated by Holly Hinman. Although the site is still up and running, it does not appear to be updated anymore.

The last update to the recipe index spreadsheet was 2016. I spent a few days bringing the spreadsheet up to date through Jan/Feb 2019 and sent the revision to Holly's email address. I got no response. So I've decided to host a copy here so that people can get the updated version. My hope is that Holly will check her email and update the copy on her website with the file I sent.

You can download a copy using the link below.

For fear that her whole site goes down one day, including her comments about the origin of the index, I'm including a screenshot of her comments below.

Thanks so much for this. It's super useful!

Lori B

I became a member of this forum for the sole reason of thanking you for your efforts on the Cook's Illustrated index. The spreadsheet is priceless! Thanks!