The Best Prime Rib I've Ever Made, and That's Saying Something

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings, friends. I had the best personal PR for Christmas and I thought someone, maybe, would be interested in the process that led to deliciousness. It was convoluted, but worth it by a mile.

1. I bought my 3 rib PR on Tuesday. At home I trimmed the fat to 1/2 inch, cut the roast from the bones, cross-hatched the fat, and heavily salted the roast all over.
2. I tied the bones back on and placed the roast in the fridge, uncovered, until Saturday. (I have a second fridge that I made empty for the week...)
3. On Saturday evening I took the roast out and cold smoked it for 1 hour on the WSM. I used 5 or 6 hot coals and two small pieces of hickory, no water, with the roast on the top rack, all vents open. 1 hour.
4. I took the smokey roast inside, removed the ribs again and seared it in a hot skillet for 5 minutes on each of the sides except the bone side. Then I reattached the ribs with string.
5. I put the roast in a large ziplock bag, then that bag inside another, and sucked all the air out that I could.
6. I used my sous vide system to "cook" the roast all night (11 pm) and all Christmas to 5:30 pm to 133 degrees.
7. Finally, I removed the roast and put it in an oven set to broil for 7 minutes to brown the outside.

Again, convoluted but I got an aged meat, smokey flavor, easy cook, and perfectly tender meat. I commend the system to anyone willing to try it.

Not sure why the “on and off“ with the ribs so many times, take them off, season, sear separately. I don’t see the point in tying them back on twice especially if you’re Sous Vide cooking it. I bet it was delicious but, the extra tying/removing doesn’t make any sense to me.

Not sure why the “on and off“ with the ribs so many times, take them off, season, sear separately. I don’t see the point in tying them back on twice especially if you’re Sous Vide cooking it. I bet it was delicious but, the extra tying/removing doesn’t make any sense to me.
I hear you. I wanted them Off for the salting, On for the aging and smoking, Off for the searing, and back On for the sous vide. In each step, I asked if having them On or Off would help. That was my logic, and I can't argue with the results!

What interests me the most about this cook is the searing before sous vide. I think it might remove an unnecessary step if you seared after sous vide and skipped the broiler all together.

Back