The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Originally posted by Brad W:
Guy, had a chance to check out any of Heretic's selection yet?
I have not. I haven't really searched for Jamil's beer yet, but I look forward to trying some. However, I did see a guy in the RR pub the other day wearing a Heretic T-shirt.

Have been enjoying some local IL/IN products this summer. Most any of the Two Brothers brewery product are great, particularly Cain and Ebel and Domaine Dupage, and Three Floyds brewing out of Munster, IN has some outstanding ones. Robert The Bruce Scottish Ale is a great one of thiers. Not hoppy at all, very smooth and malty. And yes, I realize it should be served in a thistle glass, I just don't own any!
frosty.jpg

Good and bad beer weekend on this side of the continent.....

Started on Sunday night with a couple casks from the local brewery (tofino brewing. Both were there base hefweizen. One hadhuckleberries and raspberries added. Not a bad beer but not the best either. The next was amazing though, they added lemongrass, kafir lime leaves, tamarind and galangal. Amazing flavors, didn't over power just really good.

Monday wasn't so good. We brewed an imperial stout with a pile of chocolate and coffee on Sunday during the day. Monday morning we went to check on it, as we opened the door the carboy blew to pieces, the airlock somehow stayed in. Not pretty, the thickest stout you can imagine spread all over with a tonne of glass.

Clark

Love this thread, can't believe I have waited so long to share. Here are a few brews I have enjoyed the past few weeks.

First off a Blonde from St. Ambroise from Montreal, great summer beer, not too heavy but not wimpy.

0728112109.jpg

Next up is an Allagash Black, a Belgian strong dark ale. A bit of chocolate and cofee taste. Has a bit of kick, 7.5 % but drinks well.

0201111601.jpg

Last but not least, an Ipswich 20th anniversary Imperial pale ale, another great summer beer, pretty much tastes like what you get at the nose, hoppy but not overpowering.

0805111944.jpg

Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
Monday wasn't so good. We brewed an imperial stout with a pile of chocolate and coffee on Sunday during the day. Monday morning we went to check on it, as we opened the door the carboy blew to pieces, the airlock somehow stayed in. Not pretty, the thickest stout you can imagine spread all over with a tonne of glass.
Clark
Wow. That sucks. Usually the stoppers will blow out before the glass shatters. Glad no one was hurt. I had an imperial stout blow the stopper out of my carboy while it was fermenting one time. A volcano of foam was cascading out the top when I walked in to check on it. I was cleaning stout off the ceiling and every other surface within 6 feet. The high gravities of imperial stouts and the malts used seem to cause really active fermentations. I only used large diameter blow-off tubes on big beers after that.

Eric !

next time you come to Quebec, if you did not already tried it, you have to taste the Maudite from Unibroue !!

you can buy it almost everywhere.... grocery store (iga, metro, provigo) or convenience store !

images

this is an amazing beer, quite strong (8%) with a taste of toffee ... my favorite beer
icon_smile.gif

Good call Louis, one of my favorite breweries. La Maudite may be my favorite. Before Charlebois sold to Sleeman I went to the Chambly festival and they were there. One of the few Quebec craft brews we get here. St.Ambroise is available here as well. Quebec has so many new craft brewers it makes my head spin. Love Boreal, Simple Malt, and Trois Mousqutaires to name a few. Trying to track down some Blanche de Chambly Blonde, great summer beer. I have some friends coming down from Laval so I will put an order together.

Received my first New Glarus beers through a couple of trades made on Beer Advocate. I could drink a half a case of the Unplugged Apple Ale in one sitting. 4% ABV, fresh apple nose and taste.... Yeah...this is exactly what 90F+ summer days need more of.

OK, finally jumping in here. This thread has motivated me to drink more beer and lately, there have been a lot from Dogfish Head that I've not seen in stores before. Most notable of late are Harpoon's Belgian Style Ale and from DFH: both the 60 and 90 Minute IPA, Festina Peche, and this:

DSCN2625.jpg

Note the ABV. I'd classify it almost as a dessert beer. Very high alcohol, and hints of chocolate. Outstanding, but at 12%, you don't need much.

I also had some Samuel Smith Organic Raspberry Ale the other night. Really, really good, but the fruit was almost overwhelming. My wife doesn't like beer - at all - but I'm going to have her try some of this. I think she'll like it.

DSCN2629.jpg

Originally posted by JimK:
this. I think she'll like it.

DSCN2629.jpg

Quick, call the police! Someone stole the stem to Jim's glass!
icon_eek.gif

LOL Nice stuff there Jim.

My late night Saturday is treating me SO wonderfully. Enjoying a can of Oskar Blues' Ten FIDY. What an incredible Russian Imperial Stout. Top notch. Truly. Following it up with another canned offering, Maui's Coconut Porter.

Earlier today I had Dogfish Head's Black & Red. They incorporated Mint and Raspberry in a beer. It smelled like mint, and tasted like a chocolate/raspberry Andes chocolate mint. But in the end, it just didn't work beyond a few sips. Fortunately I only had a sampler.

Like most people in this thread, my grill has a safety feature not listed in the owner's manual...

It will not light unless I have a beer!

icon_biggrin.gif

Picked up a few yesterday: Hofbrau Octoberfest, Sam Adams Wee Heavy, Dogfishhead Punkin Ale, and DFH's Theobroma. So far, the Octoberfest and Punkin are good. Haven't tried the other two yet.

I will admit,I'm usually drinking a Bud or PBR,but I've recently been enjoying a local brew that is very yummy! The Olde Meck Brewery is located in south Charlotte,and just recently started bottling their heavenly brews! You can get either their Copper,an altbeir,or Capt.James Jack pilsner in growlers at Earth Fare. Mn,oh man,good stuff right there!
And,when I can find it,I REALLYenjoy CzechVar, the original budweiser. But A/B has such a lock on that name,it has to be sold here in the states as CzechVar,not BudVar,as it's known in Germany and the Czech Republic. AWESOME stuff there my friend!

I can honestly say that none of you have had this beer. This is pretty much the best wedding gift ever. Sarah and I were married Saturday, when we got back to the reception there was a bottle of this at every seat. Two of our friends teamed up to produce " Saric", an incredible chocolate stout.

Jim brewed the beer while Chip "borrowed" a photo from our house, recreated it for the label. They pretty much roast us in the beer description, bar code is 9 10 2011, even has a government warning " (1) The Surgeon general recommends Sarh and Eric drink alcohol regularly to increase their chances of this marriage working. (2)Excess drinking of alcohol can lead to excessive hangovers and premature pregnancy. Please continue to drink irresponsibly. "

0911111345.jpg

Originally posted by Tim Ryan:
IMG_0820_66.jpg

I can't wait for winter, so I can get a fresh batch of Founder's Breakfast Stout.

Nice looking lineup. I've actually had a change to try a few of these since you posted. I was able to have the Boulevard/Deschutes Collaboration 2 - White IPA, the Dark Truth, the Tank #7, and the Smokestack Series Limited Release Imperial Stout. All very very good stuff. I can't stand saisons, and I still enjoyed the Tank 7.

My buddy Sean and I did some major damage the other evening to the below:

eb6c0ac2.jpg

From left to right:

East End Bigger Hop
Cigar City Marshal Zhukov
Troegs Perpetual IPA
Clown Shoes Clementine
Summit Silver Anniversary Ale
Boulevard Dark Truth
Mayflower Summer Rye
Rahr Gravel Road Alt
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Brau Brothers Moo Joos

However, the beer did some major damage to HIM too. LOL

3c2b91e2.jpg

A couple of my recent hauls:

5077e8fe.jpg

Half Acre Galactic Double Daisy Cutter, Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow, Three Floyds Dreadnaugt, Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf, Upland Peach, Kiwi, Raspberry, and Persimmon lambics, Three Floyds Gumballhead, Three Floyds Alpha King, New Glarus Hony Bock, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, and Half Acre Daisy Cutter.

c563837e.jpg

Stone's/Ishii Collaboration Japanese Green Tea IPA, Metropolitan Iron Works Alt, New Glarus Uff-da, Boulevard Dark Truth, Half Acre/Shorts Collaboration Captain Fantasy, Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow, & Half Acre Galactic Double Daisy Cutter.

Last but not least, a couple of my new favorites:

5d1a07fc.jpg

Peeper American Pale Ale by Maine Beer Company

c6457020.jpg

Bigger Hop by East End...and my Snowshoe cat Katie. She's a hop head too. LOL

Back