The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Hayden, I am doing something similar as Sunday is my birthday. Just picked up 2 butts, 9 racks, and 10 leg quarters. Also doing potato salad, beans, and slaw starting with 30 abts.

Starting it all with a couple of these tonight.

IMAG0260.jpg

GhostRiver.jpg

If you ever find yourself in Memphis, make sure to try our local brew. You'll find Ghost River on tap in a lot of area restaurants and they just recently started bottling.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Hayden, I am doing something similar as Sunday is my birthday. Just picked up 2 butts, 9 racks, and 10 leg quarters. Also doing potato salad, beans, and slaw starting with 30 abts.

IMAG0260.jpg

I envy you! we're still waiting in S.E. Pa for this. Hopefully next week. In the mean time, the growler is filled with Two Hearted Ale.
icon_smile.gif

Larry - I'll be in Westmont on Thursday so I'll stop at Standard Market and pick up a sixer of Bitter End. We have a Tap House Grill in Oswego that has about 40 craft beers on tap. I have tried Two Brothers Cane and Abel there which was also very good. Thanks for the tip! Mark
Mark - Did you make it over to Standard Market?
I don't drink or buy a lot of beer but I saw a lot of the brands that I see pictures posted here.
Did you check out their meat? Was looking at their beef and pork. For the cuts that they carry Prime and Angus, they were displayed side by side. For the $ difference, I'm definitely buying the Angus - all supposed to be bred and raised within 300 miles of Chicago. Pork is mostly Heritage. Fish counter is fantastic!

8 pages and nobody mentioned Chimay. There certainly some great new microbrews out now, but i still like some of the older brews. I had some Velvet Cream Stout in Canada one time(no idea of the brewer) that was fantastic.

Paul

Back in 1982 I was crossing the border from Windsor Ontario to Detroit and legally bringing a case of beer back with me. Before I had a chance to make my customs declaration I was told to pull in for an inspection where my beer was seen in the trunk and was confiscated. I was told I could "buy back" my beer for cost + duty which I did but was PO'd and filed a protest. Several letters back and forth between myself and Customs, including copies to Congressmen, Senators, and the Governors of Ohio and Michigan, I finally got a letter on Department of Treasury, Bureau of Customs and Immigration stationary, telling me that I had been "convicted of attempting to smuggle one case of beer" into the United States. I figured that the letter convicting me of smuggling was worth the price - I can always say that I'm a convicted smuggler. I still have the letter.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hayden -

Thought of you this weekend. I was at our local grocer, and ran-across some "Barley Wine" made by New Glarus Brewing (A microbrewer from SW Wisconsin "Swiss Country"). 4-Pack with red foil on the bottles - a few times a year, the Brewmaster experiments with small batches of what they label as their "Un-Plugged" series. This was one of those.

Never tried any other "Barley Wines" before, so had nothing to compare it to, but:
-Nice, medium body
-Dark Amber color
-Heavy dose of Hops (aroma & bite) on first sip
-Balanced by nice maltiness at the end
-I was "buzzin" after just one...

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

If you can get your hands on some, give it a try

Originally posted by Paul R:
8 pages and nobody mentioned Chimay. There certainly some great new microbrews out now, but i still like some of the older brews. I had some Velvet Cream Stout in Canada one time(no idea of the brewer) that was fantastic.

Paul

+1!

Absolutely love the Blue.

Originally posted by JimK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul R:

Paul

I've been trying some American versions of Belgians trying to find a "budget" Chimay. So far the best has been Ommegang Abbey Ale. I'm afraid it's still 2/3rds the price of the real thing, so a little rich for an everyday guzzling beer.

+1!

Absolutely love the Blue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday was a really great time. Everyone enjoyed the food (I had some issues with my cooking though) and it was a BYOB event, which ended up being a BYOB to Josh event.

Scored these as gifts:
IMAG0291.jpg

These showed up in a variety of 6 and 12 packs, most of which were consumed Saturday or by me on Sunday. Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye is one my new favorites.

IMAG0292.jpg

Found this cooler this morning. I thought there was maybe a 12 pack of miller lite cans in it. Although a lot of it is miller lite, probably a 12 pack of craft brews.

IMAG0293.jpg

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
Some of my recent good beer experiences:

8f5e64b0.jpg

There's a brewery in Michigan called Kuhnhenn's and as a barleywine lover, they make one helluva barleywine. One of the best beers I've ever had.
If you can get ahold of it, their raspberry eisbock is absolutely amazing.

Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:

I envy you! we're still waiting in S.E. Pa for this. Hopefully next week. In the mean time, the growler is filled with Two Hearted Ale.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They had a ton of it up at Shangy's near Allentown.

Originally posted by Ron G.:
Hayden -

Thought of you this weekend. I was at our local grocer, and ran-across some "Barley Wine" made by New Glarus Brewing (A microbrewer from SW Wisconsin "Swiss Country"). 4-Pack with red foil on the bottles - a few times a year, the Brewmaster experiments with small batches of what they label as their "Un-Plugged" series. This was one of those.

Never tried any other "Barley Wines" before, so had nothing to compare it to, but:
-Nice, medium body
-Dark Amber color
-Heavy dose of Hops (aroma & bite) on first sip
-Balanced by nice maltiness at the end
-I was "buzzin" after just one...

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

If you can get your hands on some, give it a try

Oh...I'm more familiar with New Glarus brews than you can possibly imagine, especially their Unplugged (now renamed "Thumbprint") series of beers. New Glarus Brewing, to me, is the undisputed king of fruit based beer brewing. Their Cranbic, Apple Ale, Raspberry Tart, and Wisconsin Belgian Red (cherry)...are all beyond incredible. In fact, I have a gentleman who attends law school at the University of Wisconsin in Madison picking me up a ton of stuff from New Glarus and Central Waters. He lives in Chicago when not in school, so when I drive from Philadelphia all the way to NW Wisconsin for my fishing trip in May, I'm going to meet him in Chicago to pick up all my goodies. It's going to be a whale of a trip too. On the way home from the north woods, I'm stopping at Central Waters Brewing in Amherst, WI...New Glarus Brewing in New Glarus, WI...Three Floyds in Munster, IN...Bell's in Kalamazoo, MI...Founders in Grand Rapids, MI...and Kuhnhenn's in Warren, MI. Going to be so much fun. Can't wait.

Originally posted by GuyC:
Pliny The Younger release this Fri.!

We'll undoubtedly have that out here during Philly Beer Week. I'm sure it'll be an absolute **** show out your way for that. I like Russian River's IPA's, but I like the one's from Kern River and Alpine even more.

Yep - I'll have to agree that it sounds like you have a nice little tour planned.

If you also like some good cheese, you may want to add a stop or two on your trip. There are a few really good places around New Glarus (Monticello, Monroe) that make outstanding cheese. http://www.eatwisconsincheese....travelers_guide.aspx

As for their fruit beers - I agree with you whole-heartedly. Unlike many others, most of theirs are BALANCED. The Belgian has that nice, tart "hit" of cherry without over-powering the other flavors, and the apple had a bit of dryness and a finish that changes on your tongue like a good wine. (I really like that one with some nice, thick, grilled pork chops.) It's nothing like the Leinie's Berry Weiss - which "polluted" the lines at many decent taverns & pubs. (I'm glad THAT craze seems to have run its course.)

Also, if you swing through New Glarus - there is a small butcher shop in the town where he makes about ten or more different types of Brats.

I've got a fishing / visit-the-folks trip planned too -- In early March, my brother and I are heading down to the "Redneck Riviera" where my parents are escaping the Wisconsin Winter for a few months. Planning to chase some Redfish, Flounder, and whatever else is biting. Gotta' find some good Southern-style food & Que joints while we're down there.

Heyden - If you come back via I39 - I88 - I294 thru Illinois, you come within about 2 miles of Two Brothers Brewing in Warrenville, IL - north off of the IL Rt 59 exit on I88. It'll be worth your stop.

Last week I had a chance to try Samuel Adams new Alpine Spring and thought it was a nice spring summer beer. Unfortunately it is winter here so I will stay with the fuller bodied beers for a few months.

Mike

Last week I had a chance to try Samuel Adams new Alpine Spring and thought it was a nice spring summer beer. Unfortunately it is winter here so I will stay with the fuller bodied beers for a few months.
I tried the Alpine Spring also and liked it!
BTW - I've had more brews (4 or 5) in the past 6 weeks following this thread than I've probably had in the past 2 or 3 years.
Nothing wrong with that - I enjoy a good brew from time to time.

Back