The All Encompassing Beer Thread

I am Jack's broken heart.

Received a bottle of Cigar City's Humidor Series IPA as an extra in a trade with an individual in Florida. Went to pull it from the fridge, and hadn't pulled out far enough before lifting up and caught the neck of the bottle on the fridge light. Fell from my hand, and crashed on the only part of the garage floor that's not covered by 1" foam padding. Haven't had it...and still haven't had it.
icon_frown.gif

Forgot to post this from a couple of weeks ago.

E.S. Bam Farmhouse Ale
Weyerbacher Simco IPA
Maine Beer Company Lunch IPA

BTW, since I live in Maine I'm biased, but anything by Maine Beer Company is awesome.

312984_2321178958302_1514418945_2556359_8222586_n.jpg

Originally posted by Chris Mills:
Forgot to post this from a couple of weeks ago.

E.S. Bam Farmhouse Ale
Weyerbacher Simco IPA
Maine Beer Company Lunch IPA

BTW, since I live in Maine I'm biased, but anything by Maine Beer Company is awesome.

312984_2321178958302_1514418945_2556359_8222586_n.jpg

Sent you an email regarding Lunch. One **** fine IPA. I'm drinking my first bottle of Russian River Pliny the Elder this evening, with a bottle of Russian River Blind Pig to follow. I'm dyin' to have me some Lunch, though. I've had the Peeper and the Zoe, and they were excellent.

How am I just now discovering this thread? Probably because I spend most of my time on the Barbecuing and Photo Gallery forums.

I've been getting into beer a lot (cocktails too, but that's another story.) over the past 2.5 years or so and my tastes are always evolving.

Some of my favorites are:

DFH 90 Minute IPA
DFH Sah'Tea (I only drink this on a rare occasion, but it's a great brew)
Brewer's Art Ressurection (only available around Baltimore)
Flying Dog Raging *****
Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout
Allagash Black
Russian River Brewing Company Consecration

That's the short list of my very top beers. There are many, many more that I enjoy. For me food and drink are objects of obsession and strong passion, so for me the only thing better than some great American craft beer, is some great American craft barbecue.

Cheers!

A couple bits of beer goodness imagery....

53c71830.jpg

A fabulous box of beer I got from an acquaintance in Indiana. A ton of Three Floyds goodness, including Arctic Panzer Wolf, Moloko, Admiral Nelson, Alpha King, Zombie Dust, and the holy grail, a can of Heady Topper from The Alchemist in Vermont. Also sent me a sweet Three Floyds tshirt.

5d7fe1b4.jpg

My end of a tasting I'm having on 10/29. I'm hosting a "Sweet & Sour" event. I'm going to provide the bulk of the sours and lambics, and my guests are all providing stouts or other lambics/sours. I'll also be BBQ'ing another Wagyu brisket and Berkshire pork butt for the affair. Ought to be a fine day. From left to right, New Glarus Raspberry Tart, New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, Upland Blackberry, Blueberry, Strawberry, Cherry, Peach, Raspberry, Persimmon, & Kiwi lambics, Cascade Apricot Ale, Weyerbacher Rapture, and Founders Blushing Monk.

There is a brewery up in Greensboro that I had heard about on the radio called Natty Greene's. I do believe there is a brew pub by that name also,but I recently found a sixer at the store! I bought some of their Buckshot amber ale and have been enjoying some fairly regularly.
We met a friend of ours last week for dinner,and low and behold! They had Natty Greene buckshot on draught! I had a couple with some wings and Pammi decided to give it a try! Guess what? She liked it! Holey moley! So I bought another sixer. The things I do for her! LOL! Turns out though,she only likes the draught. That's fine,more for me!
icon_wink.gif

As many on here know I'm a Miller Lite guy with an occasional Sam Adams, Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale thrown in. Recently a guy who works for me in Chicago brought me a six pack of this stuff and I've got to say it's pretty **** good. From what I hear it's tough to get outside of Chicago. Two thumbs up from me.

alphakingsmall.jpg

We've been going to Trader Joe's fairly regularly recently. They have good meat and produce. They also have a pretty good selection of craft brews!
icon_biggrin.gif
This last weekend,they had a new one,Josephbrau PLZNR. It is a czech type pilsner that tastes very similar to Czech-Var. I will be going back to get some more!

Originally posted by LarryR:
As many on here know I'm a Miller Lite guy with an occasional Sam Adams, Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale thrown in. Recently a guy who works for me in Chicago brought me a six pack of this stuff and I've got to say it's pretty **** good. From what I hear it's tough to get outside of Chicago. Two thumbs up from me.

Larry,

That's from Three Floyd's brewing co. in Hammond, In. They have a cult like following in some beer circles. A lot of the specialty beer taverns in Chicagoland carry their beer on tap and I've picked up bottles at Whole Foods on occasion, but their distribution is limited. Their stuff is expensive, but it's very good. I prefer their "Robert the Bruce" Scotch Ale.

Mark

Mark - There's a lot of great craft brews in and around Chicago.
Picked up one at a new store in Westmont - Standard Market - from Two Brothers Brewing Co. in Warrenville - The Bitter End Pale Ale. One of the brothers poured my taste and sold me the beer. They don't really advertise or even have a "shingle" out at their brew pub. It's 4 blocks from the guy that owns my wife's compnay's house and he didn't even know they were there. We're going out there the day before Super Bowl for lunch and sample a few of their other brews.

The best tasting "session" style ale I've had. At only 4.4% you can drink it for awhile as well. And my favorite part, comes in a can. Speaking of which, Sierra Nevada cans should be here in less than a month, can't wait.

IMAG0218.jpg

Larry - I'll be in Westmont on Thursday so I'll stop at Standard Market and pick up a sixer of Bitter End. We have a Tap House Grill in Oswego that has about 40 craft beers on tap. I have tried Two Brothers Cane and Abel there which was also very good. Thanks for the tip! Mark

Mark - going to try the Grill at Standard Market for dinner tonight. May buy some additional malted beverages or may buy ... I can do a lot of damage in that store.

Originally posted by LarryR:

alphakingsmall.jpg

It's not tough to get outside of NW Indiana/Chicago, it's virtually impossible. FFF (Three Floyds) pretty much pulled out of every market they were in to focus on the home front, which doesn't help me, but I can appreciate it. My uncle who lives in Homer Glen, IL was just at the brewpub in Munster this past weekend on my suggestion. He loved it. The Alpha King is a beautiful IPA, as is their Dreadnaught, Apocalypse Cow, and Dreadnaught. I trade for it whenever I can. In fact, they recently released their barleywine, Behemoth Blonde and it's stellar.

Some of my recent good beer experiences:

8f5e64b0.jpg

There's a brewery in Michigan called Kuhnhenn's and as a barleywine lover, they make one helluva barleywine. One of the best beers I've ever had.

2c60b323.jpg

Baller Stout was a collaboration between Three Floyds, Surly in Minnesota, Struisse in Belgium, and a brewery in Denmark that's eluding me at the moment. They blended their stouts together to creat this, and it was indeed wonderful

394d3fe4.jpg

I tasted this one blind and was blown away. This was Goose Island's King Henry, another barleywine. Goose Island makes one of my favorite beers, Bourbon County Brand Stout. A few years back they aged their Bourbon County Brand Stout in Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old whiskey barrels. They called it Bourbon County Rare. King Henry was aged in the bottles that Rare came out of. Really sublime stuff.

And now for a couple pictures of some recent beer hauls:

307a41fe.jpg

Great Divide's Old Ruffian barleywine, Sierra Nevadas 30th Anniversary barleywine, East End Gratitude's 2007 barleywine, 50/50 Eclipse Rittenhouse Rye, Four Roses, and Grand Cru stouts, more Goose Island King Henry, and 2011 Bourbon County Brand Stout.

And last but not least...

bdfd1587.jpg

A full case of Heady Topper from the Alchemist in Vermont, Imperial Stout Trooper from New England brewing, and a bottle of milk stout from Portsmouth Brewing in New Hampshire

I haven't contributed much on the Grilling forum in the last several months, and I'll get back to that soon hopefully, but I figured I'd get back in the swing with some good beer.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Hayden, glad you could stop by at least for the beers. I too have been slacking/busy.

Yeah well, I'm coming back in a big way. Tomorrow I'm going to do a nice tri-tip or two...and then Saturday's the biggie. I'm doing a Berkshire pork butt on one kettle, and a USDA prime Wagyu brisket on another. Going to get 'em both underway around 10PM or so on Saturday night. I have a birthday beer tasting on Sunday (I turn 34 on Friday), and the BBQ will be the grub. So I'll have pics of both food, AND beer sometime Sunday evening or Monday. Nothing better to get back into the swing of things than pulled pork and brisky.

Back