The Adapt-a-Damper - Open Source Project

I wouldn't mid updating to the new adapt-a-damper at some stage, but I can't find the screw-on l-com style keystones here in NZ, and hate to think how much shipping one to NZ would be.

For the spec sheet challenged, what colors to those correspond to on a 3-wire (red, blue, black) fan and a Tower Pro MG90S servo (yellow, orange, brown)?
Fan seems to be Red = +5V
Black = Ground

Servo - Red (looks more orange but... = +5V
Brown = Ground
Yellow = PWM (used to be a clearly orange wire - goes to same side of the connector where orange did)

Sound good ?

Thanks!
Karl

For those stumbling across this at a later date, the wiring colors are in the wiki

I wouldn't mid updating to the new adapt-a-damper at some stage, but I can't find the screw-on l-com style keystones here in NZ, and hate to think how much shipping one to NZ would be.
I'll soon be working on a version with an integrated keystone into the design to be printed, much like the original adapt-a-damper.

Things are coming along nicely with the Adapt-a-Damper but I have decided to use a bigger fan as my Gravity fed smoker is quite large and can be difficult to get up to temp (not surprising judging by the size of the fan I removed, apart from being knackered I even when new it could have been out blown by an asthmatic house fly. I tested the 38CFM fan and it seems to draw 0.6A though I suspect it will be a bit more that that if the path is choked.

1629104268978.png

The reason for the big fan that little Maplin fan was trying to provide enough air to get this half tonne (maybe more) smoker up to temp and it just couldn't, it could hold it at temp once it got there it would just take hours and hours and hours to get threre.

IMG_1111.jpgIMG_1029.jpg

Frickin' awesome! Welcome to the Gravity Feed club. Looks like you got those plans from SmokerBuilders? i built the Mini and love it. Keeps temps within 1 degree all day long. Great build! Love the integrated HM!

I'll soon be working on a version with an integrated keystone into the design to be printed, much like the original adapt-a-damper.

The advantage of the L-com keystone with the screw terminals is it's a nice secure fitment. Over time, my Adapt-a-Damper has become a little warped (still very functional with a little glue, however), and this included loosening of the keystone. When the ethernet cable was inserted it was pushing the keystone into the body of the damper. I ended out wedging the keystone into the case with a small piece of wood - so it no longer pops out of place and is nice and secure.

Still, at some point I'll likely want to print a "fresh" Adapta-a-Damper, and having options is fantastic, thanks!

Feature request - create a slot above the wire feeding holes to allow the parts to be constructed and tested outside the housing where it's much easier. The slot wouldn't have to be very wide, even 1/8th of an inch would be well more than enough, just enough to feed the wires down.

Feature request - create a slot above the wire feeding holes to allow the parts to be constructed and tested outside the housing where it's much easier. The slot wouldn't have to be very wide, even 1/8th of an inch would be well more than enough, just enough to feed the wires down.
Pretty simple design change. I'll see what I can do.

Yeah there are a lot of different parts there for different configurations and components. You need 1x BottomCase, 1x TopCase, 1x BottomCaseBox, 1xDisc/TopDisc, 1x Adapter. I think the two Threaded count as the topcase and bottomcase, then you just need the disc and the bottomcasebox and adapter. MG90s does refer to the servo that it is designed to fit so that must be used. The SG90 has slightly different dimensions. The SG92R and HXT900 9g servos also have different dimensions so be aware of that if you're looking at servos. I've only used the non-threaded versions though so I am only speaking from that experience.

Short answer though, I think just drop TopDamper and add TopDisc_2Hole and an adapter, and get an MG90S servo.
First off: Thanks to Bryan for bringing the HeaterMeter to the masses, and thanks to WBegg for the AaD and the improvements shared through the years! I'm coming kinda late to the party, but am definitely benefitting from the evolutionary improvements of these gizmos over time!

Got another n00b here...sorry. The quoted post above is where the lightbulb went off that I think I made a "big" mistake. (Okay, potentially ~$30-40 and a few days' delay to ship new part(s), so not *that* big...)

I think I made a bad assumption when I looked at Bryan's store page (here) and thought the SG92R was the "standard" servo. I went ahead and bought three SG92Rs (to have spares and/or build multiple dampers) before reading all 24 pages of this thread. Now that I've read all the way through, I realize the MG90S is actually the standard servo, and I don't think the files on Thingiverse (here) support the SG92R servos I bought, so now I'm trying to figure out my options.

Ideally, I'd like to end up with a threaded damper case that holds the 50mm Delta blower and an SG92R. However, I don't think that combo has ever been designed...correct?

I think the 3D parts shown on Bryan's webpage get me 2-out-of-3: They're non-threaded but hold the 50mm Delta blower and an SG92R. Unfortunately, though his webpage says they're there, I don't actually see all those files on Thingiverse (specifically, "Disc_2hole_SG92R" and "TopCase_2hole_SG92R" are missing). Are those STL files still available somewhere?

If I can't get hold of those files, then I think I need to set aside the SG92Rs and order an MG90S, then use these files (correct?):
TopDisc_2Hole.stl
TopCase_MG90S_Threaded.stl (this threaded version *does* fit the 50mm Delta, right?)
BttmCase_MG90S_Threaded.stl
BottomCaseBox_V2.stl
Adapter_1inNPT.stl (my adapter of choice)

If I were to get my hands on the SG92R files, then they would just replace the TopCase_MG90S_Threaded.stl and BttmCase_MG90S_Threaded.stl files in the list above, correct?

Any guidance on whether I can get the SG92R files or should just go buy the MG90S?

Lastly...I'm brand new to 3D modeling and printing, so maybe this is too naïve and/or too presumptuous, but I would be interested in trying to take the existing model files and cobble together the "perfect" design (threaded + 50mm Delta + SG92R) if that's a possibility. (Please forget I even suggested that and accept my apologies if that's a ridiculous or rude thing to ask! And I would of course share my results if I were able to accomplish that.)

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
So, I have the parts and files for machining the Aluma-Damper. I will not make parts to sell, but if anyone is interested in the CAD files, I would be more than happy to share. What would be the best posting venue?

I bought these servos: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MK8VJNG/?tag=tvwb-20 (Note the "Tower Pro" branding)
I printed "TopCase_MG90S_Threaded.stl"
I assume my problem is that these are counterfeit servos? Is it possible they are another kind of servo with the wrong sticker (i.e. SG90; I could reprint the case to make it work)?

Attachments

• PXL_20220615_151815734.jpg
    PXL_20220615_151815734.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20220615_151926263.jpg
    PXL_20220615_151926263.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 9
I often hoped for one of these, but designed around a "full sized" servo rather than the micro servos. Mine seems to be getting "stuck" and forgetting what it is supposed to be doing. One of these days I'll learn AutoCad or some other 3d design program.

Back