The Adapt-a-Damper - Open Source Project

wbegg, what kind of connectors do you use in the YouTube video when connecting from the Ethernet keystone to the fan and servo?

Need some help here. not sure what the issue might be.

Testing out the adapt a damper. manual fan. when i put the HM to about 90% the servo wiggs out. pulsates erratically. if i hold it in my hand it appears it vibrates a bit. too much power? i basically have the ethernet connected pins soldered directly to the fan and servo.

any suggestions? thanks!

I had problems with an eratic servo. Got a new one and the problems went away. I also tried a new 2 amp power supply as well. But it ended up being a junk servo.

I have found that placing a capacitor (10 to 47uF electrolytic) across the +5V and Gnd of the servo eliminates most of the shutters in most servos, even the crappy imitation ones. (But still no excuse to buy crappy imitations)

thanks Jeff and Wbegg ...
I will try the capacitor and if that doesnt do it then try buck up for the new servo. i didnt want to buy a new one without getting some feedback. thanks i will try that out.

This may explain it a little better. I bury the cap in the jack. I also use connectors in case the fan or servo needs replaced in the future. I always check, then hot glue everything before putting the protective cap on.

ETulf5c.jpg

the capacitor fixed my issue. all is working well. just need to fix the calibration now and should be set. thanks for all the assistance.

help with servo

hi all,

hm 4.3 with pi B+ and delta fan.... fan works as expected but getting nothing on the servo.
no movement at all. multimeter shows 5v on 6 but nothing on 3. have tried a couple different
ethernet cables.

servo it tower pro (authentic) sg90 digital from amazon.

just wired up the keystone cat5e from home depot by directly punching down the wires:

Fan:

4-Ground
5-12V

Servo:

4-Ground
3-5V
6-Servo Signal Wire

thanks, sam

same set up same problem

not sure why but working now ;-), prolly one of the connections....

Any idea about what worked exaclty to fix it?

I have same behavior fan perfect, servo dead, actually servo moves a little (seems random) if i move or touch signal wire on the contact, and for few seconds it worked in some cases seemed to work good, but was really 2 or 3 cases for less than a minute...I don't understand how and why. Generally it doesn't move at all.

Tried also with two capacitor 10uf and then 100uf... (I have only these at home) same behavior :(

Any idea?

I have a new version I'm working on. The top threads to the base to more securely connect the two pieces, instead of the old friction fit. I have a few other items I need to work out, so it will be posted soon on thingiverse.

LqkKYEN.jpg

Looks pretty slick. I tell you I've broken the lip off several dampers taking them apart because the fit was just a little too tight. How do you screw it in though if the servo wires are in the bottom and the servo is in the top though?

Looks pretty slick. I tell you I've broken the lip off several dampers taking them apart because the fit was just a little too tight. How do you screw it in though if the servo wires are in the bottom and the servo is in the top though?

No issues with screwing it on with the servo attached. Since the wires exit a hole in the base, I just twist the wires as I screw the lid on. Of course, you'll have to punch down the wires after you screw it on if you don't use connectors as I do.

I got a WSM 18 with a self built "air burner" like ralph did. see pictures attached.
Will the rotor damper help me? I would built one just out of curiosity, but imho the fire already goes out when i stop the fan. It's even worse. I think i can't push enough air into it to really heat all the briquettes. I now ordered one BFB0512VHD blower so i know for sure that we are talking about the same parts.

pwurvNe.jpg

FXB3cll.jpg

That is really nice looking. I know in another thread you mentioned you are building a corexy machine. What are you using now to print with? Always curious what others are using when I see really nice looking prints.

I got a WSM 18 with a self built "air burner" like ralph did. see pictures attached.
Will the rotor damper help me? I would built one just out of curiosity, but imho the fire already goes out when i stop the fan. It's even worse. I think i can't push enough air into it to really heat all the briquettes. I now ordered one BFB0512VHD blower so i know for sure that we are talking about the same parts.

pwurvNe.jpg

FXB3cll.jpg

I use a roto damper on my WSM 221/2 with home built burner with no problems.

Back