That feeling when you know what is about to happen next will be amazing....

...I think the shiny back is just that he got the aluminum totally clean and smooth. The perforated box looks like a wood chip smoker box to me.

Confirmed, shiny and smooth aluminum back of firebox. It's pretty hard to express my disappointment when I found the broken hingepin ear. So. Many. Hours. I get a little obsessive compulsive when I get excited, which is something I am sure none of you can relate to /s

...Maybe we can work out a swap of one of my red hoods for your Skyline hood! Jon

Let me give the new hood a once over - if it's not up to snuff, you're on!

That is a smoker box. I have one (longer) for my genesis. Drop the wood chips in and it sits between two of the EW flavo bars. They work wonderfully. Mine was about $15 on Amazon.]

Confirmed, smoker box. Although, I find that even when I soak the woodchips, it's a little too small of a box if you're going to be on for hours like when doing ribs. I end up swapping chips almost hourly when I pop in to baste. It was tough at the beginning, timing it to minimize hood-open heat loss (LOOKIN AIN'T COOKIN!), but with a lot of practice and timing I have gotten a routine that goes pretty quickly. I am now a master baster. No 'wet wood in the small box' jokes, please.

By the way, I'm a big fan of wood side tables and wood on the bottom. Just saying.
I know - me too. I was initially drawn to the ease of maintenance of the durawood, but after seeing the beauties so many of you have put up, I know it's just a matter of time before I replace them all with a nice stained hardwood.

EDIT: added quote

Last edited:
It's just an angle grinder and wire brush. That's how my rehab grills look when I finish them.

I believe he is saying the firebox hinge part is broken.

Yup.

PMXo1bE.jpg

Thanks Xavier.

I used Stainless 1/4" x 20 5/8" long tapered bolts.
Weber uses splined bolts with those thin "speed nuts" originally.
You can reuse the nuts if you want too.

fJqYScv.jpg

Jeff
I know this post was from 4 years ago, but these things are the holy grail to me. Do you happen to recall where you found them? I am in Canada and our hardware choices don't seem as robust as yours. Nicely done. I keep dragging items home from hardware and they just don't work. This is what I see on Mcmaster https://www.mcmaster.com/bolts/thre...l/flat-head-profile~undercut/drive-style~hex/

Last edited:
This forum is amazing how a topic can go on for years and still be relevant! I love going back through the archives and learning.

I know this post was from 4 years ago, but these things are the holy grail to me. Do you happen to recall where you found them? I am in Canada and our hardware choices don't seem as robust as yours. Nicely done. I keep dragging items home from hardware and they just don't work. This is what I see on Mcmaster https://www.mcmaster.com/bolts/thre...l/flat-head-profile~undercut/drive-style~hex/

I got mine from a local hardware store but the ones Bruce pointed out are probably much cheaper but you typically have to buy in bulk to offset the Shipping cost.

Jeff

I got mine from a local hardware store but the ones Bruce pointed out are probably much cheaper but you typically have to buy in bulk to offset the Shipping cost.

Jeff
Thanks for the reply, I've placed an order with Mcmaster-Carr. Last month I tried, but it got rejected. This time, they asked me to put a company name on it, and have shipped.

I think that story Xavier wrote is one of the best ever posted here! It so perfectly captures someone catching Weberitis big-time and having to figure out how to not get in trouble at home:sneaky:!

I used M6x1x14 Pan Head Phillips machine screws on mine (M6x12 would also have worked, but I had the 14s). The M6 size fits right into the counterbore of the end caps. They're still a little proud of the surface, but I think they look fine. If you use 1/4-20 machine screws, the OD of the head is just a little too big to fit in the cbore.

I don’t know what kind of voodoo magic happened! Last night at 8:00pm mcmaster-carr processed my order, my shipment was delivered to my door in 🇨🇦 at 10:00 am today!!! I lost 3 weeks going to big box stores and specialty hardware shops looking for SS and not finding the right stuff, and these guys came through in 12 hours!!! “you get a speed nut, and you get a speed nut” !! blown away by the service.

Attachments

• AB96918D-637F-40BB-978B-FD6BD80FB2DE.jpeg
    AB96918D-637F-40BB-978B-FD6BD80FB2DE.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 14
Wow Joanne! I have always had them shipped to my in-laws in the US and picked them up on our next visit because I figured the shipping to 🇨🇦 would be too expensive. How much was shipping if you don’t mind me asking?

I don’t know what kind of voodoo magic happened! Last night at 8:00pm mcmaster-carr processed my order, my shipment was delivered to my door in 🇨🇦 at 10:00 am today!!! I lost 3 weeks going to big box stores and specialty hardware shops looking for SS and not finding the right stuff, and these guys came through in 12 hours!!! “you get a speed nut, and you get a speed nut” !! blown away by the service.
I have dealt with McMaster nearly my entire working career, since the mid-70s. This is the norm. They cater to businesses where time is money and downtime is unacceptable. They are top notch and I have nothing but praise for them...but just beware that, since dealing with them on a personal level after retiring, the shipping charges can mount, something that I was never aware of on a business level. My last order of 6 items was shipped in 4 shipments and I was billed accordingly.

EDIT 10/13/2021: I have just placed a new order with McMaster and shipping cost is now quoted during checkout. I now have zero complaints with McMaster.

Last edited:

Back