That $37 stainless rod grate really gave new life to my Silver B

Chris-IL

TVWBB Member
As I noted in an earlier thread, I cleaned up my Silver B to make it look nice again. I know others were posting about replacing grates and I will say I love this new stainless rod grate that was on Amazon for 37 bucks. Not magnetic, good quality, and my first stainless rods ever. I originally had the porcelain steel from buying the grill then had replaced those with the porcelain cast iron as an "upgrade" when the originals were dying. Those porcelain cast iron were looking really crappy recently. I love the stainless look, it is way easier to clean, it still goes great grill marks as shown here (I thought cast iron was needed for those) and I haven't had any issues with spacing or things falling through. These are 7mm rods. I'm sure 9mm is "better" but IMO for this price I think the 7mm is a way better value vs spending 100 bucks for 9mm especially for an older grill like this.

20230803_201955.jpg

My Z grill (I know not a gas grill) has 7mm grates and honestly it's the ONLY thing I truly dislike about it. My Member's Mark has pretty sure 9mm and it's so much more a pleasure to use. One upgrade I for sure will be making to Big Z is better grates if/when I can find them

Who did you get them from on Amazon, if you don’t mind sharing?

I’m hunting down currently all stainless internals for my G5. Have 8 Weber flavorizers on the way, found 5 upper flavorizers, and trying to figure out the grates to go sing with the smoke box

I am sure you already know, but cutting down a set of stainless grates is pretty easy. I would buy the best set you can justify and then cut the end off one to fit the smoker box. Keep the piece because there will likely be times you don’t want to cook with the smoker box.

These would be my first choice assuming you don’t want to spend $250 for the very best made by Dave Santana/“rcplanebuyer.” It may not be worth the price differences to you vs 7mm, but they are really nice grates!

Post in thread 'Stainless Steel Grate Throwdown Challenge Results'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/stainless-steel-grate-throwdown-challenge-results.78876/post-1036669

I don't think RC is selling grates for the b/c anymore not on his ebay store and I went into craigslist did not see them their either maybe had the wrong address it was a link from Bruce years ago.

I am sure you already know, but cutting down a set of stainless grates is pretty easy. I would buy the best set you can justify and then cut the end off one to fit the smoker box. Keep the piece because there will likely be times you don’t want to cook with the smoker box.

These would be my first choice assuming you don’t want to spend $250 for the very best made by Dave Santana/“rcplanebuyer.” It may not be worth the price differences to you vs 7mm, but they are really nice grates!

Post in thread 'Stainless Steel Grate Throwdown Challenge Results'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/stainless-steel-grate-throwdown-challenge-results.78876/post-1036669
For sure. I was hoping to find something “correct” just because….well I’m not really sure🤣

I’ll read that here in a bit. I’m sure I’ll just order the 9mm and cut them down. Also I’m not sure rcplanebuyer has grates for them anymore, I just looked on his eBay page. Could be wrong though.

Just type RcPlanebuyer into the the eBay search bar and his listings come up. This one will fit Genesis 1000-5000, SilverB. They are listed as 3/8" or 9mm.Screenshot_20230804-143703.png

you can contact Dave, aka rcplaybuyer via craigslist sfbay and avoid the ebay markup and overhead.

here is one of his listings

I don't think it matters for the OP he or she paid 37 bucks and seem to be happy. I have Quilmetal 7mm grates and after 3 years of use totally happy with them paid like 40 dollars for them at the time maybe less they were just breaking into the market. Like anything else you have to decide what is value to you. I never cook anything on the Silver C that would fall thru my grates so no need for me to buy 9mm grates. If I was to do veggies I would just punch a bunch of holes in foil and throw them on that problem solved. If I was doing shrimp I only buy large they are not falling through either or put them on a skewer another problem solved.

I don't think it matters for the OP he or she paid 37 bucks and seem to be happy. I have Quilmetal 7mm grates and after 3 years of use totally happy with them paid like 40 dollars for them at the time maybe less they were just breaking into the market. Like anything else you have to decide what is value to you. I never cook anything on the Silver C that would fall thru my grates so no need for me to buy 9mm grates. If I was to do veggies I would just punch a bunch of holes in foil and throw them on that problem solved. If I was doing shrimp I only buy large they are not falling through either or put them on a skewer another problem solved.

Yeah for me even the 7mm are such an upgrade to old cracking and rusted porcelain cast irons that I feel like I have a new grill. I notice they stick a lot less too...I'm sure due to the rounded design vs flatter top of the old cast irons

Chris, definitely money well spent and I'm sure you won't miss the cast iron grates. I ditched mine for stainless steel years ago and would never have cast iron again, especially the coated cast iron that starts to flake off after a few years.

I replaced my porcelain grates on my spirit with the 7 mm stainless steel grates as well. I like them much better. I could not justify the cost of the 9 mm ones.

For sure. I was hoping to find something “correct” just because….well I’m not really sure🤣

I’ll read that here in a bit. I’m sure I’ll just order the 9mm and cut them down. Also I’m not sure rcplanebuyer has grates for them anymore, I just looked on his eBay page. Could be wrong though.
Hey Tim,

Here’s “correct” for sure. Not going to deliver the same results as cast iron or thick stainless, but these are the real deal if that is more important for what you are trying to do:

I do think that these old porcelain-plated steel grates get a bad rap when really they do have some positive aspects.

I'm happy with the porcelean CI on my E330. My mom has original PCI grates on her 2009 genesis E320 side control. Sister and BIL have originals on their 2009 or 2008 E310.

But the porcelean stamped suff is 5 year max Imo

You can only cut down so far though
Not sure I totally understand, but there is a limit to what can be done I suppose. It worked well for me on the Weber GBS stainless grate where I cut off one side to center the GBS opening over the sear burner and put the small piece on the right.

IMG_2321.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

Yeah they really did cook quite well, Actually better than the replacement SS ones of same design

Back