Thanksgiving 2021

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Way too many of these

MeQC4Og.jpg

FPuQAEJ.jpg

Case T's Stuffin' Muffings. Last time not enough fluids, this time too much. Still pretty good thought

6XsjV8L.jpg

DITEfvB.jpg

The Bride's Smoked Sweet Potato Casserole (this was bomb)

543YY0j.jpg

Dvr8K6a.jpg

xaS1D7h.jpg

iLbxFgv.jpg

EUFIUa1.jpg

K7MP3SN.jpg

Son made some moinks

anbDj26.jpg

83zRF9w.jpg

Zi7vqVe.jpg

Dad's tunes (aka slaps)

50ilpxR.png

I mentioned that the bloody mary's were served in large quantities, and as a result I made some changes in turkey cook. I decided that instead of basting in olive oil, butter would result is crispy skin. I wasn't wrong, skin was crispy to say the least

I finally hit 165 internal in the thigh, it's not pretty

uhqPeN4.jpg

6AxHfFq.jpg

jgWzhO0.jpg

It was actually really good. Yeah, the skin was toast, but the turkey it self was really quite good. The lesson learned is that have your plan written in stone prior to having half dozen bloody mary's. I'm confident that had I stayed with the olive oil, things would be a lot more better looking. My bride's smoked sweet taters was over the top, tasted like pumpkin pie

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I need to figure out how to get the room from spinning, maybe a glass of wine...

Way too many of these

MeQC4Og.jpg

FPuQAEJ.jpg

Case T's Stuffin' Muffings. Last time not enough fluids, this time too much. Still pretty good thought

6XsjV8L.jpg

DITEfvB.jpg

The Bride's Smoked Sweet Potato Casserole (this was bomb)

543YY0j.jpg

Dvr8K6a.jpg

xaS1D7h.jpg

iLbxFgv.jpg

EUFIUa1.jpg

K7MP3SN.jpg

Son made some moinks

anbDj26.jpg

83zRF9w.jpg

Zi7vqVe.jpg

Dad's tunes (aka slaps)

50ilpxR.png

I mentioned that the bloody mary's were served in large quantities, and as a result I made some changes in turkey cook. I decided that instead of basting in olive oil, butter would result is crispy skin. I wasn't wrong, skin was crispy to say the least

I finally hit 165 internal in the thigh, it's not pretty

uhqPeN4.jpg

6AxHfFq.jpg

jgWzhO0.jpg

It was actually really good. Yeah, the skin was toast, but the turkey it self was really quite good. The lesson learned is that have your plan written in stone prior to having half dozen bloody mary's. I'm confident that had I stayed with the olive oil, things would be a lot more better looking. My bride's smoked sweet taters was over the top, tasted like pumpkin pie

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I need to figure out how to get the room from spinning, maybe a glass of wine...
Great looking groceries. And, the Bloody Mary's don't look half bad either.

Turkey skin looked perfect to me....I like 'em crispy. That sweet potato stuff looked awesome. Can you post recipe?

Turkey skin looked perfect to me....I like 'em crispy. That sweet potato stuff looked awesome. Can you post recipe?
The Sweet Potato Casserole was the crown jewel. Easy & Excellent, by none other that Mr. Malcom Reed

You can’t forget the side dishes this Thanksgiving, and I have a recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole you’re going to love. This Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is one that Chelle makes every year, and it’s always a big hit at our house. You can even prep it the night before which really takes the work out of cooking for the Holidays.

Ingredients
  • 4 Large Sweet Potatoes (about 3 cups cooked)
  • ½ cup Melted Butter
  • ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • ½ cup Heavy Cream
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 ½ teaspoons Vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Pecan Topping:
  • 1 cup chopped Pecans
  • ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
  • ¼ cup All Purpose Flour

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Prepare Big Green Egg or other smoker for indirect cooking at 400⁰.
  2. Place Sweet Potatoes on Big Green Egg and cook for 1:30 hours or until soft. Skewer should go into the potato with no resistance. Remove the sweet potatoes from the smoker and adjust vents so temperature drops to 350⁰.
  3. Peel sweet potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Spoon into cast iron skillet.
  4. In a separate bowl add the pecans, brown sugar, flour, and melted butter. Stir to combine and sprinkle over potato mixture.
  5. Place iron skillet on smoker and cook for 1 hour or until topping browns. Remove from smoker and serve.

Thank you all for the kind comments, it ain't pretty but it is dang tasty. Going to make a Bloody and a Turkey Sammy

Back