Thanks for your help with my Genesis 3 redhead restoration

Andy,

I think you did just fine. No doubt at all that rc's are the finest and especially if you value tight placement and thicker rods. But those Qlimetal ones are very nicely made, attractively priced, and more than adequate in my opinion to do an excellent job. The slightly wider spacing (not TOO wide like some of the really cheap off-brand replacements) does work well with the option of doing my personally favored "cross-hatch" sear marks.

3HUTsOJ.jpg

Show off. :)

Seriously, that cross-hatching looks amazing.

Andy,

GrillGrates do make it pretty easy, but you can do just about the same with those new grates you got. A little seasoning and get the grill nice and hot:coolkettle:.

Sear marks are awesome, I agree. You can do them with almost any kind of grates. Just practice :)

Slainte!

Tim

Andy, is that a custom job on the sing table pivot bar? I know on the Genesis 1000-5000 they used a plug on the end of the frame that had a drop down piece that the swing table rod went into. I am just wondering if that how the older ones were as well and maybe that bracket was a custom job.

I have 2 of these x000 grills right now. The older one is a 1989 model, the other one is clearly newer but has no serial #. There are some small, but interesting differences. One of these differences is in the way that the swing up table is attached. On the 1989 there is a metal tab screwed to the frame and the pivot rod runs through that, just like Andy's. On the newer model the pivot rod is connected by a plastic insert in the end of the frame rail.

Also, on my 1989, the end of the lid handle is visible (again, like Andy's), whereas on the newer model the part where the handle attaches has an extra bit of metal that covers the end of the handle.

A couple of other interesting differences between my two grills: The older one has mounting sockets for one of those swinging baskets in the lid, the newer grill has mounting points for 2. The frame rails on the older grill extend a few inches beyond the control panel and there is a small basket there, on the newer grill those frame rails are flush to the end of the control panel. The fuel level indicator rod on the older model is straight and lives on the outside of the leg, under the control panel. On the newer model the indicator rod is a z shape and lives inside the leg, under the grill.

I have 2 of these x000 grills right now. The older one is a 1989 model, the other one is clearly newer but has no serial #. There are some small, but interesting differences. One of these differences is in the way that the swing up table is attached. On the 1989 there is a metal tab screwed to the frame and the pivot rod runs through that, just like Andy's. On the newer model the pivot rod is connected by a plastic insert in the end of the frame rail.

Also, on my 1989, the end of the lid handle is visible (again, like Andy's), whereas on the newer model the part where the handle attaches has an extra bit of metal that covers the end of the handle.

A couple of other interesting differences between my two grills: The older one has mounting sockets for one of those swinging baskets in the lid, the newer grill has mounting points for 2. The frame rails on the older grill extend a few inches beyond the control panel and there is a small basket there, on the newer grill those frame rails are flush to the end of the control panel. The fuel level indicator rod on the older model is straight and lives on the outside of the leg, under the control panel. On the newer model the indicator rod is a z shape and lives inside the leg, under the grill.

Shannon,

First welcome to TVWBB!

The older grill you have is the original Genesis version. Yours is the Genesis 1, and they had models 1 - 5. The next version was the popular 1000-5000 series. Very similar, but your observations point out most of the obvious minor differences. I think the 1 with its wire rack condiment tray has a cool look that is especially worth preserving. Post some pictures if you can.

p.s. Although a Floridian much of my life, my family enjoyed seven years living in the Asheville area.

Last edited:
Wow, I am jealous of you southerners / mid westerners. The market for the "thousands" series genesis grills by me has been dry as a bone. I look every week on craigslist and there hasn't been a decent 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. listed for a very very long time. At least not at a reasonable price but even the ridiculously priced ones are very very few and far between. I guess people are just junking them because I do see them during dog walks and just generally. They are here, but I don't know what their fates are!

Thyde. Yah, lots of 1000-3000 grills around me. But you just reminded me that I need to make a trip out to the local county landfill and check for Junked Webers. I emailed the guy and he said that if there are any I wanted, I could take whatever I want and just pay scrap prices for them....

Thyde. Yah, lots of 1000-3000 grills around me. But you just reminded me that I need to make a trip out to the local county landfill and check for Junked Webers. I emailed the guy and he said that if there are any I wanted, I could take whatever I want and just pay scrap prices for them....

That’s pretty cool, Bruce. You might find some gem old parts doing that. Keep you eyes out for old Weber kettles no matter how bad if they are something besides black.

Yes, I might make a run out there tomorrow. I am thinking that it might be more of a parts search though since most people are not real gentle when they are junking something. But, it is just an avenue that I thought might pay some dividends, even it if only winds up being some hard to find parts and accessories. I could use about a dozen locking caster wheels if nothing else.

Back