Temperature Control Challenges with the 14.5 Inch Model – Seeking Advice & Sharing Solutions

Justin Monroe

I recently faced some temperature control challenges with my 14.5-inch smoker/grill model, particularly with keeping the internal temperature around the desired 275°F. Despite having all vents wide open, the temperature seemed stubbornly fixed around 225°F. I also use water in my smoking process, which might be impacting my temperature control. Given these challenges, I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community for insights and advice.

Firstly, I've noticed that the built-in thermometer might not be as accurate as needed for precise cooking. It seems there's a discrepancy that might be affecting my cooking process. For those who've experienced similar issues, how accurate do you find the built-in thermometers? Any recommendations for a more reliable way to monitor internal temperatures?

Moreover, I'm curious about the best thermometers or methods you've found effective for accurately monitoring the internal temp of your smoker. With the variety of options out there, from digital meat thermometers with probes to ambient temperature probes, what works best for you?

I'm also wondering if using the water pan in is contributing to my difficulties in temperature control.

Thank you all in advance for your input and advice!

Hi Justin, welcome to the forum. Water in the pan and not enough lit coals could be why your not able to get over 225.

Last edited:
I don’t have the 14.5” but I do have a mini I made. My observations are, and ymmv:

1) the smaller the smoker the more inconsistent internal temperature

2) the built in thermometer is not accurate, but it is generally consistent. That said, I use a meat thermometer as a comparison to the dome thermometer and make note of the difference and act accordingly

3). I have found that at start up, the best thing is to let the coals get hot in a specific area (center works for me) which will then allow you to choke back the temperature. It’s easier to lower the temperature than to raise it, in a small smoker. I do this by letting the lit coals have fresh air for 10 minutes or so before assembling the smoker

4) I’m not a fan of water as a diffuser, but there many great smokers who do. You have to decide for yourself on that

I would use a probe on the grate a few inches from the food.

I don't have a WSM, but on my old water (bullet) smoker, when temps wouldn't come up due to winter air, I'd just throw an 8x8 burlap square over the smoker and it holds temp great! If it's really cold or windy out, I'd use two. I've never had to use more than two. This has worked wonderfully for me for three decades. The smoke will move through the loose mesh of the burlap but the burlap will keep enough heat in to get your temp up. Good luck

Back