Temp guage question

Andy Beers

TVWBB Diamond Member
I put my first pulled pork on last night, I live in canada and it was cold -16c I put it on at midnight last night to eat at 6. I used the maverick and the WSM held at 250 to 275 all night just as it should according to the maverick at the grate.My question is that the weber thermometer in the lid was only about 200 which is about 50 to 60 degrees cooler than the maverick.I see on here most people say that the weber thermo runs hotter than at the grate.I have checked both in boiling water and they are both right.I am wondering if the lid is cooler because it is so cool outside or if I should be concerned about temps. Thanks in advance for your help.

I just checked my logs and my grate temp always runs hotter than the lid temp (Weber) and the difference varies throughout a 12 hour cook. To me this makes sense because the Weber therm is further away from the heat source. On my grill my hand tells me that is true.

It seems to me that your WSM is behaving just like it should.

Thanks Lew I think you are right,this unit holds temps like a champ even in COLD Canadian nights. This is a pleasure to use.

The exact temp isn't all that important, Andy. Pick the same spot to temp each time and avoid trying to reconcile different temps at different locations. I use the Maverick down vent for my temps but even then, I only use it as a guide.

It doesn't matter if you're cooking at 225 or 325 degrees. All cook temps turn out great Q as long as you learn how to check for doneness. Just your cook time will be affected.

I slept like a log, at 12 I startd the WSM with MM and loaded water bowl with boiling water and put meat on got the maverick going and let her come up to temp.I shut the vents down to 10 percent at 200 degrees and it leveled out at 245 by 12:50 I closed 2 of the vents completley and went to sleep. I woke up at 7am and temp was at 260. It is now 12 noon and the temp droped to 210 with a meat temp of 180 so I put on 2 unlit chimneys and that should do until done. I just put my beans on to smoke for an hour then I will cover and let simmer until supper. All is looking good as I am just working in the garage and having a few beers watching the WSM do all the work. Hopefuly will have a nice supper with family and friends.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew Newby:
I just checked my logs and my grate temp always runs hotter than the lid temp (Weber) and the difference varies throughout a 12 hour cook. To me this makes sense because the Weber therm is further away from the heat source. On my grill my hand tells me that is true.

It seems to me that your WSM is behaving just like it should. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Last spring I bought a Pitmaster IQ controller. The WSM Lid is always about 25-30 degrees cooler than what the IQ sensor is reading on the top cooking grate. I've heard many old timers (ie: experienced cooks) say don't fret over the temp. It's a live fire and will do what it does. And while we can control the temps somewhat they claim a fire in a real pit can fluctuate as much as 50-60 degrees. As long as you stay below 275 you're making BBQ. Also, what matters most is the internal temp of the food. As they say it's done when it's done and as long as YOU like the results - fire, foil, and fans don't matter. I agree.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew Newby:

It seems to me that your WSM is behaving just like it should. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+ 2

Jerry is correct that a precise cooker temp isn't critical as far as the food being done. It's done when it's done. I do use cooker temp for timing because I'm usually trying to put a meal on at an approximate time. If I want to have a 7 lb. butt for dinner and I put it on the cooker at 6 AM I'll have to run the WSM a little hotter than if I put it on at 4 AM. What never changes is the tenderness of the meat I want when I pull it off the cooker. When I get good at this then maybe I can just go by feel.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sounds like your probe was too close to the outer heat zone, and in that case it's about like hanging a therm in the top vent and measuring the hottest temps coming up next to the cooker walls headed for the vent. Those temps are always going to be a good bit hotter than on the grate where the meat should be, so put the probe closer to the meat and see if the difference isn't less.

Back