Tell me I did good : Brand new Virgin WSM 18.5

Chris R.

TVWBB Member
Hey guys -

I already have one. Don't really need (but wanted) another.

Found a guy local to me with one for $220 and I haggled him down to $185. He bought it and assembled it last week and got cold feet.

Poor fella had 2 bags of match light included - I was like dude - wrong charcoal u can keep that stuff.

I'm picking it tomorrow.

Impulse buy ..... Oops.

Good buy though, right ?

Many years ago, I had my first WSM and Amazon put new ones up for sale for $150. I couldn't help myself and I bought one. I never even took it out of the box. Ended up selling it to a friend a couple of years ago and now he's got the BBQ bug.

Interesting side note. It sat unopened for a few years and when I gave it to my friend, we opened it and found the charcoal bowl to be bent. Called Weber and guess what, they sent me a new charcoal bowl - no charge. The really do stand by their products.

Last edited:
At $185 brand new, that's like jumping into a time machine and going back to 2005 to snag a WSM! Except yours includes more features than the one in 2005. Good for you...not so good for the guy with cold feet. Maybe take him some ribs to show him what he missed out on? ;)

At $185 brand new, that's like jumping into a time machine and going back to 2005 to snag a WSM! Except yours includes more features than the one in 2005. Good for you...not so good for the guy with cold feet. Maybe take him some ribs to show him what he missed out on? ;)

Yeah my current is a 2013 model I think. The new one must be a 15 or 16. Noticed (had forgotten) it has the Sensor wire port and the lower Rack now has lift handles. Excellent !

Chatted with him. He smokes a good amount but prefers his pellet dropper for its set it and forget it easiness. Says he received this as a gift from SIL. Doesn't have the patience to monitor during the smoke session.

My gain

So decided to reappropriate the funds I saved on the acquisition price of the unit. I purchased a hinge / gasket set on Amazon and the the 4 probe igrill thermo.

Now im the thing full retail but I have a few mods to install (while its new and clean) and I believe the 4 probe igrill will be beneficial in the craft.

If if only the shipping was Amazon fast as normal. These marketplace sellers - not so much.

Excited to to mod though for the first time

No, I'll tell ya what's sad --- the seller never even gave the WSM a shot. It's one thing to give up after a first attempt, but DAMN --- didn't even try?!?!?

Cmon. Shame.

I was one in Wilmette IL last week, used once for fifty bucks. My son now has a WSM.

So decided to reappropriate the funds I saved on the acquisition price of the unit. I purchased a hinge / gasket set on Amazon and the the 4 probe igrill thermo.

Now im the thing full retail but I have a few mods to install (while its new and clean) and I believe the 4 probe igrill will be beneficial in the craft.

If if only the shipping was Amazon fast as normal. These marketplace sellers - not so much.

Excited to to mod though for the first time

Got the gasket and hinge set myself. Put gaskets on today and letting it set overnight before I do the hinge. Oh, and yesterday, put my casters on! Really like them!!! :wsm:

4 probes??? That's serious!!!

Back