Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

I debated the encore but decided I probably didn’t need 40 different grind settings , I purchased the capresso infinity with 16 grind settings . It works great , quieter compared to some others but only has a simple timer with auto shutoff . The encore is probably the most popular Grinder for those who seek a higher level machine but doesn’t break the bank , oh and they can be repaired
I have the Encore. It's an excellent grinder but it is slow and quite loud. I accept those cons because of it's outstanding grind consistency. Although, we have a DeLonghi Ariete in our beach house. It is quiet, fast and produces an extremely consistent grind as well. Perhaps a tiny bit messy compared to the Encore but it only cost me $65 on eBay vs $100 for the Encore which I got from a special promotionfrom Peets coffee 3-4 years ago. I also had two of these Chinese grinders which were OK but messy.

Huanyu Electric Coffee Bean Grinder 250G Commercial&Home Milling Grinding Machine 200W Automatic Burr Grinder Professional Miller 8 Fine - Coarse Grind Size Settings Stainless Steel Cutter Pulverizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083SC2H3D/?tag=tvwb-20

I'm curious to see if any of the dozens of different Chinese models on Amazon pan out to be comparable to Baratza's models or some of the other quality grinders in the near future.

I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPRQW2A/?tag=tvwb-20 only major complaint is it is a static electricity maker and getting the grounds out is a royal PIA in heating season and only a minor PIA in AC season
Ah yes. Static electricity and coffee grinders. I found the wet spoon solution works extremely well. Wet a teaspoon with tap water and stir the beans around for a few seconds while in the hopper. Than hit the button to grind. Works like a charm.

I apologize if I missed this, but are you brewing for large groups?
Large group = 2. Shortly after picking up the Moccamaster, and looking at Technivorm's 100 gram recommended grind batch, I started weighing what the Breville was putting out, and was rather shocked to find out that it was quite inconsistent from day to day on how long it would have to run to get to 100 grams.

In regards to static electricity..... that was a bit of an issue with the 12-16 oz. bags of whole bean from the supermarket. When I started buying whole beans directly from the roaster (SAME roaster as in the grocery store,) and in 4 lb. bags, I have not had any static problems at all.

In regards to static electricity..... that was a bit of an issue with the 12-16 oz. bags of whole bean from the supermarket. When I started buying whole beans directly from the roaster (SAME roaster as in the grocery store,) and in 4 lb. bags, I have not had any static problems at all.
Likely more oil. Not a bad thing

A very good setup.
Thank you. I agree. First brew was yesterday and it was very good.

This morning was the best I've made from an auto drip. Maybe as good as my best using a French press. I stirred the grounds during the initial step of the brew and this one extra step was the change from yesterday and its a stronger better flavored cup.

Beans are StarBux French roast from Costco so nothing special. Thanks for the suggestion above to weigh the beans. 100g with 40 Oz water. Grinder set to 16. 16 is a little finer than recommended, yet I enjoy coffee on the bitter side. I might try 17 tomorrow and compare.

This morning was the best I've made from an auto drip. Maybe as good as my best using a French press. I stirred the grounds during the initial step of the brew and this one extra step was the change from yesterday and its a stronger better flavored cup.

Beans are StarBux French roast from Costco so nothing special. Thanks for the suggestion above to weigh the beans. 100g with 40 Oz water. Grinder set to 16. 16 is a little finer than recommended, yet I enjoy coffee on the bitter side. I might try 17 tomorrow and compare.
The same. The beans do not need to be exotic...just decent. A good grinder and a Moccamaster...done.

I was there until I switched back to RO filtered water rather than the gravel that comes out of my taps. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds the slightly "finer" grinds work better. Thankfully I have laid in a good supply of dark roast under the fear the prices were going to skyrocket on coffee. But, now my supply is dwindling and I have to begin looking to lay in more.
Larry, I am glad I searched through the thread to see if anyone mentioned water quality. I have gone through the gambit of coffee makers and grinders and went back years ago to a Mr. Coffee with espresso grind coffee and believe that RO water is responsible for 80% or more of great tasting coffee. When ever we have company I have folks ask how I make the coffee. It is the RO water, store bought espresso ground coffee tamped into a non-bleach filter. I only use 4 Maxwell house scoops for a 10 cup pot and scale down for less coffee. Lately we have been buying this coffee at Dollar Tree for $1.25 / package and it has been great. If not this one, Cafe Bustello also in vacuum bricks.

1665884310788.png

My family drinks a lot of water- Reverse osmosis system and stainless steel water bottles for the last 16 years.

I am the only coffee drinker in the family though- black no sugar caffeine jolt in the morning is all I need.

Very interesting thread though.

I have a bag of that Starbucks French roast from Costco on deck. Finishing up a bag of Peets Major Dickasons now. I have the Encore set to 17 or 18 which makes a great pot of coffee. I don't stir the grounds but I do interrupt the drip for 30 seconds. Not sure if it does anything to the taste though.

I have a bag of that Starbucks French roast from Costco on deck. Finishing up a bag of Peets Major Dickasons now. I have the Encore set to 17 or 18 which makes a great pot of coffee. I don't stir the grounds but I do interrupt the drip for 30 seconds. Not sure if it does anything to the taste though.
I broke down a while back and bought a bag of Starbucks french roast myself a while back (only because they had it marked down to $11.99). But then I also saw the PEETS marked down as well. Not as good a price but still good. I am finishing up a bag of the PEETS and then I will break out the Starbucks. Then on another trip they had the Co-Op type organic french roast at $8.99. Pretty much filled my cart with it as I had used it before and found it quite good and $8.99 for 2lb was too good to pass up

I broke down a while back and bought a bag of Starbucks french roast myself a while back (only because they had it marked down to $11.99). But then I also saw the PEETS marked down as well. Not as good a price but still good. I am finishing up a bag of the PEETS and then I will break out the Starbucks. Then on another trip they had the Co-Op type organic french roast at $8.99. Pretty much filled my cart with it as I had used it before and found it quite good and $8.99 for 2lb was too good to pass up
I tried bag of the Member's Mark Colombian Supremo from Sam's. Adequate, but nothing great. The Costco version is definitely better and is our all around favorite...with the Peets Major Dickasons.

Caught this article on Starbucks French Roast:

and coincidentally was brewing it for about the third day straight having purchased a bag at Costco the other day.
Didn't really like it as it still had that Starbucks "burnt" taste to it.
The lawsuit may or may not be valid but it was enough for me to lose the rest of the bag in favor of BJs Wellesley Farms Colombian Supremo...whc is actually quite good.

Attachments

• starbucks-complaint-05.jpg
    starbucks-complaint-05.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0

Back